Duron 800 Overclocking

ReDVsion

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Tom's How-To guide makes overclocking an Athlon seem insanely easy using the A7V - but what about etching those things on the top of the processor... isn't that still necessary? (I'd find the correct term for 'em but I'm lazy... :D). It really didn't sound like it from the article. Also, I doubt this would make any difference, but I'm intending to use a Duron, not Thunderbird.

Can anyone say if Atacom.com is a reliable place to buy components? They seem good, and also sell durons with the multiplier already unlocked.

G

unless your cpu is already un locked you still need to close the L1 bridges.
go here to learn about online companies
<A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com/" target="_new">http://www.resellerratings.com/</A>
dont know about the duron hitting 1gig some due but they are still aluminum. so you won't have as good odds of getting there. not saying you won't either

ReDVsion

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
JUST the L1 bridges? As I recall you had to etch off some of the other bridges... was that necessary or will the clock speed change anyway as long as the motherboard is set to that speed?

Also, about the A7V - do all have the switches for changing the CPU speed? If not, how do I tell which ones do?

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A7V has all the dip switches you need to overclock, the Abit KT7 RAID does NOT have the multiplier switches however. As far as the bridges, the only reason to etch or connect the other bridges is if you can not use the dip switches. With the A7V, you only need to connect the L1 bridges, but be careful, they are extremely small and should only be connect with the bridge directly across from it, NOT to any adjacent L1 bridges.

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

ReDVsion

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
Thanks for all your help, guys, but I have one last question. I believe I'll go with an overclocked combo from ocz.safeshopping.com (though I'm glad I've learned all the ins-and-outs of Thunderbird/Duron OCing), but I'm curious about the fan situation. I'm thinking I'll have 1 cpu fan, and 2 case fans, but how the hell am I gonna connect 'em all? Hell, the MB I've got now only has one 3-pin for a fan I believe. How will I go about this?

Are 2 case fans enough? How 'bout just 1 next to the processor? Should they both be blowing air in or should one be going in & one out?

Also, WTF is RAID?

Sorry I'm so full of questions, but I don't want to recieve all my parts and have everything go to hell. My idea of overclocking was changeing the FSB jumper from 66 to 100 on my celeron 266 and having it go to 400... :D Those were the days...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I bought KT7/Duron/Monster II cooler combo from ocz.safeshopper.com and I'm happy with it.

You can buy case fans with the standard 4-pin power connector. They connect to the power supply just like disk drives but have an extra connector to plug into another device so you don't lose anything.

Ideally you would connect the CPU fan to the mobo header so that it can be monitored but some CPU fans draw to much current for the mobo to handle.

I have two case fans but this does not produce enough cooling in my case to run my Duron at 1000 Mhz so I run it at 900 Mhz. I know that it is cooling issue because I've run the Duron at 1000 Mhz for 3 straight days with the case covers removed. My case fans are cheap weak ones so I probably can easily fix my cooling problem with replacements. Your case may have better cooling. Remember, you generally want as many intake fans as exhaust fans but you always want at least one of each (not counting the PSU fan) if you plan to overclock. Most cases are designed for this configuration, at the very least.

Usually, you put the intake fan at the lower front and the exhaust fan at the upper back. I hear "blowhole" fans at the top of the case work wonders but you probably have to modify the case for this.

I hope I answered most of your question.

Good luck

ReDVsion

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
After I posted that, I looked around and found quite a bit of info on cooling cases. I learned that 120mm fans are quieter and push much more air than 80mm, and I also learned about that chimney/blowhole type thing, and that I need as many intake as outtake fans. Frankly, though, I'm not prepared to start cutting the metal on the top of my case, so my only real option is putting the 2nd fan in the normal spot - just below the PS. Will that give me enough airflow if I'm using 120mm fans?

This is my last question. After this I can officially start trying to answer questions around here instead of asking 'em. And I hate asking questions. :D

G

nothing wrong with asking questions, it's how we learn.
if you can fit a 120mm in back do it (i say if it will fit bacause most factory mounts are for 80mm fans).
don't forget the fan mount at the bottom front blowing in.
and the number of fans matching is of less importance than having the cfm match.
also if you add fans in cutom places without proper planning
can result in turbulents that actually cause hot spots!

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?