Athlon Won Best Processor Award!

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heres my thoughts: the Athlon has revolutionized the computer chip industry. Heres how; it was a totally new design, as opposed to the Pentium line, and started a chip war which it has thus far proven to be winning. Therefore it deserves applause.
As far as Intel freaks, they have as much claim to their product as AMD freaks do. Then their are the people who buy whatever chip has the best price, or the best price/perf. I know this is said a lot but it is generally true. I would have never bought my first AMD K6-2 if the price of P2's hadnt been overwhelmingly higher. I probably would have gone with Intel had the price been right. Before that I had owned an Intel 486 (good ole days, the thing ran without a heatsink, hehe) and was generally happy with it. So each person has the right to decide what they want to buy. No one is stupid for choosing one or the other, the stupid ones buy Cyrix. Until Intel or AMD chips start exploding into fire balls, they are both solid chips.

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is as it should be. You can nitpick all you want about any chip making company. but when it comes right down to it and has the better processor and still for a better price.

HACK THE PLANET!!!

G

I wonder if Fugger/amdmeltdown know more about processors than the microprocessor report analysts do?

You can lead a horse to water..blah blah blah... It's time to shoot the F%$#ing horse it's to F%$#ing stupid.

G

I agree with that, in a 2 horse race, Athlon comes first with daylight second

G

What the Pentium 4 didn't win? WTF is that! Didn't they listen to the PR guys at Intel? It will make my web surfing experiance ever so much better. That 1MB per second max. of data is screaming for more number crunching power! And it will make 3D graphics fly!

(The Athlon won, are we really surpried at this?;-)

I AM Canadian.

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree the Athlon is the better chip but I think there are (and have been) much better chipsets for the Intel chips.

My PIII and Asus P3B-F (Intel 440BX) just fit together and that was that. No drivers, no screwing around, just turn it on and go.

My Tbird-900 and Asus A7V on the other hand took two weeks to sort out with BIOS updates and driver updates and SBLive issues and AGP 4x issues. I spent at least 20 hours messing around and while I don't mind playing around with stuff that is a bit too long. If my time is worth $20 an hour then it cost me $400 worth of time. $400 will buy a lot of computer parts including an "upgrade" (or downgrade, depending how you look at it I guess) to a PIII-900 on an Asus CUSL-C (Intel 815EP) board.

Now everything works fine but I don't "trust" the VIA chipset as much as I do my old Intel one when I'm working on a CAD drawing that I put $500 worth of time into. Originally I thought the new TBird become my fast/reliable main work computer and my older PIII-500 would become the game/surfing/playing around computer but instead the roles are reversed. (The TBird-900 is faster then my PIII-500@600 but it isn't THAT much faster).

So again I'd have to agree that AMD makes the better CPUs but their image is being tarnished by chipsets and motherboards that are being released before all the bugs are out. In terms of $/performance they come out on top but in terms of $/frustration an Athlon system is way behind.

(my personal opinions only)
-JW

TRENDING THREADS