Shapeshifter bonding with a lycanthrope

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I was wondering what would happen if a shapeshifter would bond with a
lycanthrope.
If bonding with a wolf for example, he could turn into a wolf, but what
would happen if he (or she) would bond with a werewolf?

Wereldreiziger

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:38:37 +0200, Wereld Reiziger
<wereld_reizigerNOSPAM@PLEASEhotmail.com> wrote:

> I was wondering what would happen if a shapeshifter would bond with a
> lycanthrope.
> If bonding with a wolf for example, he could turn into a wolf, but what
> would happen if he (or she) would bond with a werewolf?

What's this "bonding" thing you mention?

--
The storm wins initiative, and attacks. -Adlon, describing Hurricane
Charlie.

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

> What's this "bonding" thing you mention?
>
> --
> The storm wins initiative, and attacks. -Adlon, describing Hurricane
> Charlie.

Shapeshifters have the ability to 'bond' with a creature. Within a certain
amount of time after the creature has deceased, the shapeshifter can touch
the creature, and set in motion a process, wherein the shapeshifter sort of
copies the creatures DNA, and gets the ability to transform into that
animal.
For example: the party the shapeshifter is with, encounters a very agressive
bear, and to put themselves out of danger, they have to kill the animal. The
shapeshifter knows many people fear bears, and decides to bond with the
bear. At a moment later in time the shapeshifter can decide to turn himself
into a bear, with all the natural things of a bear. (Claws, natural AC (if
any), forms of movement and so on. Magical abilities are not copied, so a
shapeshifter could turn into a dragon, but wouldn't have the breath weapon
or the aura of fear, and any other abilities the dragon had in life. But the
shapeshifter would be able to fly.)

I was wondering what would happen if the party encountered a werebear (in
animal form), would kill it, and the shapeshifter would bond with the
lycanthrope.
Is the shapechanger cursed too?

I hope this clarifies what i'm trying to say
Wereldreiziger

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Natural lycanthropes assume an animal form and retain this form if they are
killed.

Infected lycanthropes are forced to assume animal form at certain times of
the month (full moon) and revert to human form when killed.

This may not be official rules but it works well.

So your shapeshifter could copy a natural werebear's bear form to transform
into a bear or an infected werebear's human form (if this is allowed by
shapeshifters) to transform into a human.

No curse either way and no special immunities or powers inherent in
lycanthropy are copied by the shapeshifter.