8400 - A little help, please

I screwed things up when I tried to add some partitions with
P. Magic 8.0 and the BIGGEST mistake was not making
emergency floppies (hits forehead)!
Now when I go to "Start from CD" the message: "Selected boot
device not available" appears while 'Drive 5 PATA-1 (the CD)
shows to be on. I am "Unable to boot to utility partition"
or to save changes on exit from the maintenance page. Upon
re-boot all I see is "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...done"
and there I sit.

Can anyone help this poor bonehead get his system back or is
it a call to India?

Mike

I am not sure P. Magic works with SATA drives and I am not sure if I follow
you so far. You do have the XP CD in the top optical drive and you are
pressing F12 right after the initial beep? Then you select Boot from CD and
press any key when you see "press any key to boot from the CD"? Am I with
you so far

"Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in message
>I screwed things up when I tried to add some partitions with
> P. Magic 8.0 and the BIGGEST mistake was not making
> emergency floppies (hits forehead)!
> Now when I go to "Start from CD" the message: "Selected boot
> device not available" appears while 'Drive 5 PATA-1 (the CD)
> shows to be on. I am "Unable to boot to utility partition"
> or to save changes on exit from the maintenance page. Upon
> re-boot all I see is "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...done"
> and there I sit.
>
> Can anyone help this poor bonehead get his system back or is
> it a call to India?
>
> Mike

Before you try to perform the clean install, you might wish to ask tech
support about restoring the factory image on the drive. A clean install
would likely perform better, but you may have your reasons for wanting
otherwise.

Dell has begun putting a (DSR) 'dell system restore' image on all new
Dimensions again, I understand.

I don't know, however, the path to get to it or to activate it at this
point, as I haven't had time to fool with it......

Perhaps someone in the group can help in this regard.

Stew

"Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in message
>I screwed things up when I tried to add some partitions with
> P. Magic 8.0 and the BIGGEST mistake was not making
> emergency floppies (hits forehead)!
> Now when I go to "Start from CD" the message: "Selected boot
> device not available" appears while 'Drive 5 PATA-1 (the CD)
> shows to be on. I am "Unable to boot to utility partition"
> or to save changes on exit from the maintenance page. Upon
> re-boot all I see is "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...done"
> and there I sit.
>
> Can anyone help this poor bonehead get his system back or is
> it a call to India?
>
> Mike

You could enter BIOS and turn off all boot devices other than the CD, trying
to 'fool' the system. I've done this and the hard disk became accessible
during the install.

Stew

WSZsr wrote:

> I am not sure P. Magic works with SATA drives
>
> <snip>

No problem(s).

Notan

> WSZsr wrote:
> >
> > I am not sure P. Magic works with SATA drives
> >
> > <snip>
>
> No problem(s).
>
> Notan

Easy for you to say :eek:)

> I am not sure P. Magic works with SATA drives and I am not
sure if I follow
> you so far. You do have the XP CD in the top optical
drive and you are
> pressing F12 right after the initial beep? Then you
select Boot from CD and
> press any key when you see "press any key to boot from the
CD"? Am I with
> you so far

You are. My DVD drive is in the top slot so I was trying to
boot from the second (CD-RW) slot. Booting from the top
slot gets the message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly
connected to your computer, and that any disk-related
hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running
a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program."

Diagnostic tested Drive 0: Passed. I've turned on all
other drives, re-booted only to get: 'Press F1 to continue'
which gets "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...Done." All I can
do from there is ctrl-alt-del to the boot screen and F12 (or
press F2 to the setup utility.)

Thanks for taking interest,

Mike

> "Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in message

net...
> >I screwed things up when I tried to add some partitions
with
> > P. Magic 8.0 and the BIGGEST mistake was not making
> > emergency floppies (hits forehead)!
> > Now when I go to "Start from CD" the message: "Selected
boot
> > device not available" appears while 'Drive 5 PATA-1 (the
CD)
> > shows to be on. I am "Unable to boot to utility
partition"
> > or to save changes on exit from the maintenance page.
Upon
> > re-boot all I see is "Loading PBR for descriptor
3...done"
> > and there I sit.
> >
> > Can anyone help this poor bonehead get his system back
or is
> > it a call to India?
> >
> > Mike

Make the recovery floppies on a friend's computer. Report back.

Brian

"Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in message
> I screwed things up when I tried to add some partitions with
> P. Magic 8.0 and the BIGGEST mistake was not making
> emergency floppies (hits forehead)!
> Now when I go to "Start from CD" the message: "Selected boot
> device not available" appears while 'Drive 5 PATA-1 (the CD)
> shows to be on. I am "Unable to boot to utility partition"
> or to save changes on exit from the maintenance page. Upon
> re-boot all I see is "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...done"
> and there I sit.
>
> Can anyone help this poor bonehead get his system back or is
> it a call to India?
>
> Mike

WSZsr is correct. I had the exact same problem and changing the BIOS
setting he mentions worked.

Your next problem may be a corrupt Boot.ini file.

"Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in message
> I screwed things up when I tried to add some partitions with
> P. Magic 8.0 and the BIGGEST mistake was not making
> emergency floppies (hits forehead)!
> Now when I go to "Start from CD" the message: "Selected boot
> device not available" appears while 'Drive 5 PATA-1 (the CD)
> shows to be on. I am "Unable to boot to utility partition"
> or to save changes on exit from the maintenance page. Upon
> re-boot all I see is "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...done"
> and there I sit.
>
> Can anyone help this poor bonehead get his system back or is
> it a call to India?
>
> Mike

OK Michael. Easy from here.

You need to go into the BIOS and change a setting. If you do not plan to
set up a raid, then change the drive controller to " RAID Autodetect/ATA ".
Then with your XP CD in the top drive, reboot, press F12, and follow the
prompts.

If you plan to set up a raid, do not make this change to your BIOS. Instead
you will need to make a Intel Application Accelerator diskette on another
computer. Make sure you download the latest one from Dell. Do not use the
Resource CD.

At the beginning of the operating system setup, press F6 to install a thrid
party SCSI or RAID driver.

1. When prompted very early in the XP installation process, select 'S' to
Specify Additional Device.

2. When prompted, insert the floppy disk you created in step 2 and press
Enter.

3. At this point you should be presented with a selection for one of the
following depending on your hardware version and configuration:

Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller
Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller

4. Highlight Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller and press Enter.

5. Press Enter again to continue,. Leave the floppy in the system until
the next reboot as the software will need to be copied from the floppy disk
again when Windows Setup continues.

Either way you will have an opportunity to partition your drive any way you
wish. Just let XP do it during the installation procress. Take your time
and read each screen carefully as it is easy to miss.

After installing XP, make sure you install the chipset driver first before
any other drivers.

Good luck.

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I am not sure P. Magic works with SATA drives and I am not
> sure if I follow
>> you so far. You do have the XP CD in the top optical
> drive and you are
>> pressing F12 right after the initial beep? Then you
> select Boot from CD and
>> press any key when you see "press any key to boot from the
> CD"? Am I with
>> you so far
>
> You are. My DVD drive is in the top slot so I was trying to
> boot from the second (CD-RW) slot. Booting from the top
> slot gets the message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
> drives installed in your computer.
>
> Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly
> connected to your computer, and that any disk-related
> hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running
> a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program."
>
> Diagnostic tested Drive 0: Passed. I've turned on all
> other drives, re-booted only to get: 'Press F1 to continue'
> which gets "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...Done." All I can
> do from there is ctrl-alt-del to the boot screen and F12 (or
> press F2 to the setup utility.)
>
> Thanks for taking interest,
>
> Mike
>>

>> "Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in message

> net...
>> >I screwed things up when I tried to add some partitions
> with
>> > P. Magic 8.0 and the BIGGEST mistake was not making
>> > emergency floppies (hits forehead)!
>> > Now when I go to "Start from CD" the message: "Selected
> boot
>> > device not available" appears while 'Drive 5 PATA-1 (the
> CD)
>> > shows to be on. I am "Unable to boot to utility
> partition"
>> > or to save changes on exit from the maintenance page.
> Upon
>> > re-boot all I see is "Loading PBR for descriptor
> 3...done"
>> > and there I sit.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help this poor bonehead get his system back
> or is
>> > it a call to India?
>> >
>> > Mike

I don't think he wants to reinstall WinXP. Is that correct Michael?

Brian

> After installing XP, make sure you install the chipset driver first before
> any other drivers.
>
> Good luck.

My recommendations assume you can not fix the Partition Magic issue and you
have no other choice than to reinstall. Of course you will lose everything
currently on your hard drive when you delete the partition(s) and start from
scratch.

> [...]
>> select Boot from CD and
>>> press any key when you see "press any key to boot from the
>> CD"? Am I with
>>> you so far
>>
>> You are. My DVD drive is in the top slot so I was trying to
>> boot from the second (CD-RW) slot. Booting from the top
>> slot gets the message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
>> drives installed in your computer.
>>
>> Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly
>> connected to your computer, and that any disk-related
>> hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running
>> a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program."
>>
>> Diagnostic tested Drive 0: Passed. I've turned on all
>> other drives, re-booted only to get: 'Press F1 to continue'
>> which gets "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...Done." All I can
>> do from there is ctrl-alt-del to the boot screen and F12 (or

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

mmm I dont think the CD should be the PATA drive these need switching off in
the BIOS as I'm not aware that Dell use PATA drives insert your WIN XP cd
and restart the machine at the Dell Splash Screen hit the F12 button and
choose boot from CD and delete any partitions and then reformat and
reinstall the O/S
"Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in message
> I screwed things up when I tried to add some partitions with
> P. Magic 8.0 and the BIGGEST mistake was not making
> emergency floppies (hits forehead)!
> Now when I go to "Start from CD" the message: "Selected boot
> device not available" appears while 'Drive 5 PATA-1 (the CD)
> shows to be on. I am "Unable to boot to utility partition"
> or to save changes on exit from the maintenance page. Upon
> re-boot all I see is "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...done"
> and there I sit.
>
> Can anyone help this poor bonehead get his system back or is
> it a call to India?
>
> Mike

The 8400 supports four SATA and two PATA drives. The optical drives are
PATA.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> mmm I dont think the CD should be the PATA drive these need switching off
> in
> the BIOS as I'm not aware that Dell use PATA drives insert your WIN XP cd
> and restart the machine at the Dell Splash Screen hit the F12 button and
> choose boot from CD and delete any partitions and then reformat and
> reinstall the O/S

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

I thought the optical drives were IDE???
> The 8400 supports four SATA and two PATA drives. The optical drives are
> PATA.
>
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > mmm I dont think the CD should be the PATA drive these need switching
off
> > in
> > the BIOS as I'm not aware that Dell use PATA drives insert your WIN XP
cd
> > and restart the machine at the Dell Splash Screen hit the F12 button and
> > choose boot from CD and delete any partitions and then reformat and
> > reinstall the O/S

PATA = Parallel ATA = IDE
> I thought the optical drives were IDE???
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The 8400 supports four SATA and two PATA drives. The optical drives are
> > PATA.
> >
> > "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > mmm I dont think the CD should be the PATA drive these need switching
> off
> > > in
> > > the BIOS as I'm not aware that Dell use PATA drives insert your WIN XP
> cd
> > > and restart the machine at the Dell Splash Screen hit the F12 button
and
> > > choose boot from CD and delete any partitions and then reformat and
> > > reinstall the O/S

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

ahhhh right I see said the sight impaired man
> PATA = Parallel ATA = IDE
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I thought the optical drives were IDE???
> > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > The 8400 supports four SATA and two PATA drives. The optical drives
are
> > > PATA.
> > >
> > > "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > off
XP
> > cd
> and

> OK Michael. Easy from here.
>
> You need to go into the BIOS and change a setting. If you
do not plan to
> set up a raid, then change the drive controller to " RAID
Autodetect/ATA ".
> Then with your XP CD in the top drive, reboot, press F12,
and follow the
> prompts.
>
> If you plan to set up a raid, do not make this change to
your BIOS. Instead
> you will need to make a Intel Application Accelerator
diskette on another
> computer. Make sure you download the latest one from
Dell. Do not use the
> Resource CD.
>
> At the beginning of the operating system setup, press F6
to install a thrid
> party SCSI or RAID driver.
>
> 1. When prompted very early in the XP installation
process, select 'S' to
> Specify Additional Device.
>
> 2. When prompted, insert the floppy disk you created in
step 2 and press
> Enter.
>
> 3. At this point you should be presented with a selection
for one of the
> following depending on your hardware version and
configuration:

> Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller
> Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller
>
> 4. Highlight Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller and
press Enter.

> 5. Press Enter again to continue,. Leave the floppy in
the system until
> the next reboot as the software will need to be copied
from the floppy disk
> again when Windows Setup continues.
>
> Either way you will have an opportunity to partition your
drive any way you
> wish. Just let XP do it during the installation procress.
Take your time
> and read each screen carefully as it is easy to miss.
>
> After installing XP, make sure you install the chipset
driver first before
> any other drivers.
>
> Good luck.

Thank you.

At point 3 I was presented with: "File txtsetup.oem caused
an unexpected error (4046) at line 1742 in
d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c."

I've the Intel App. Accelerator on disk (Ver.4.0.0.6211) but
after that error msg. I opted to install without planning to
set up a raid, continued without error except I have two
installations of XP upon boot up. A recent lurker here, I
remember someone else having that problem and the solution
was to remove a line somewhere. Do you remember what that
was?

Thanks so much for your help,

Mike ;o)

> "Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in message

et...

> > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I am not sure P. Magic works with SATA drives and I am
not
> > sure if I follow
> >> you so far. You do have the XP CD in the top optical
> > drive and you are
> >> pressing F12 right after the initial beep? Then you
> > select Boot from CD and
> >> press any key when you see "press any key to boot from
the
> > CD"? Am I with
> >> you so far
> >
> > You are. My DVD drive is in the top slot so I was
trying to
> > boot from the second (CD-RW) slot. Booting from the top
> > slot gets the message: "Setup did not find any hard disk
> > drives installed in your computer.
> >
> > Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and
properly
> > connected to your computer, and that any disk-related
> > hardware configuration is correct. This may involve
running
> > a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program."
> >
> > Diagnostic tested Drive 0: Passed. I've turned on all
> > other drives, re-booted only to get: 'Press F1 to
continue'
> > which gets "Loading PBR for descriptor 3...Done." All I
can
> > do from there is ctrl-alt-del to the boot screen and F12
(or
> > press F2 to the setup utility.)
> >
> > Thanks for taking interest,
> >
> > Mike
> >>

> >> "Michael Wolf" <wolfspeed@NOSALEatt.net> wrote in
message

> > net...
partitions
> > with
"Selected
> > boot
(the
> > CD)
> > partition"
> > Upon
> > 3...done"

back
> > or is

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in
message
> I don't think he wants to reinstall WinXP. Is that correct
Michael?

> Brian

No. I wanted to have a clean install as well as a
partition, just like, I believe, 98 per cent of Dell
consumers. Curious as to why this still remains a
non-option from Dell.

> Make the recovery floppies on a friend's computer. Report
back.

> Brian

I was able to make the floppies on this machine and access
the 8400 but did so after WSXsr's solution.

Thanks,

Mike

That is why you needed to download the later file from Dell rather than use
the file on the resource disk (which is corrupted) to make the driver
diskette