Quick weapon question

Greetings All,

Just IDed a weapon @ lvl 7:

Whip of Venom (1d3) (+4,+6) (a)

um...what all does it do? What is the "(a)" for?
This is how it IDed on screen.

Thank you in advance!

Oh, yeah, was using a dagger (+2,+7) for multiple attacks, is this a
better weapon for that? Also, I found a small sword of Slay Dragon,
and a hammer of Slay Undead....at what lvl will these start being of
use? I want to keep them at my house until needed to save space.

Thnx again!

Paul C. Heisner

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:

> um...what all does it do?

It kills the enemy!

Um... all the enemy?

Yes, all the enemy. All their wives, all their children, all their dogs,
cats, pigs, chickens, cows, and goats. All of 'em, dead.

Oh my...

(Can anyone name the movie? The above is from memory, so I probably mis-
quoted it pretty badly.)

sherm--

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> Just IDed a weapon @ lvl 7:
>
> Whip of Venom (1d3) (+4,+6) (a)
>
> um...what all does it do? What is the "(a)" for?
> This is how it IDed on screen.

It's a melee weapon. It does damage. Since it's "of venom", it actually
acts like it's (3d3) (+4,+6) versus non-poison-resistant monsters.

The "(a)" is the inventory slot or equipment slot where it was when you
id'd it. It looks like it must have pseudo'd as excellent, been wielded,
and then was id'd, since it's unlikely to have gotten inventory slot a
-- there's normally some scrolls and other consumables in one's
inventory that always get sorted above weapons.

> Oh, yeah, was using a dagger (+2,+7) for multiple attacks, is this a
> better weapon for that?

Depends how many attacks you get with it. Against monsters that don't
resist poison it's 3d3 + 6 or around 12 average damage per blow. The
dagger was 9 and a half, or barely more than 3/4 that. But if the foe
resists poison, the dagger still does 9 and a half and the whip only 8
on average.

Upshot: you might be better off selling the whip. Enchanting the dagger
and whip to +0 you'd get 11 and a half from the dagger against all foes,
but only 11 from the whip against some foes (though 15 for some). If you
get more blows with the whip keep it. If you value a handful more damage
against some foes keep it. If you value lots of gold, sell it. ;)

> Also, I found a small sword of Slay Dragon,
> and a hammer of Slay Undead....at what lvl will these start being of
> use? I want to keep them at my house until needed to save space.

Probably never. I'd sell such items at this point. By the time slay
undead and slay dragon are really significant, you want a weapon with
big dice like an executioner's sword (4d5) or even a blade of chaos
(6d5), and weapons like that will be starting to crop up. More likely
you'll be using an artifact weapon, and may be choosing these partly on
the basis of slays.

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> Just IDed a weapon @ lvl 7:
>
> Whip of Venom (1d3) (+4,+6) (a)
>
> um...what all does it do? What is the "(a)" for?

Whip of Venom should make additional poison damage

(a) means that it is the first item in your inventory / equipment

if in equipment (a) means 'primary weapon'

> This is how it IDed on screen.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Oh, yeah, was using a dagger (+2,+7) for multiple attacks, is this a
> better weapon for that? Also, I found a small sword of Slay Dragon,
> and a hammer of Slay Undead....at what lvl will these start being of
> use? I want to keep them at my house until needed to save space.

Well, the dagger has (1d4) (+2,+7) which does more damage, but slightly
less 'to hit', i.e. your miss rate will be higher. How many attacks do
you have with both weapons? (wield the weapon, press 'C' and haev a look
at the 'blows / turn' value)

small sword has (1d6) as base, which are the (+to hit, +to dam) values?
how many attacks do you have with this one? dragons will be starting
later, depends on the variant that you use.

if you speak of a hammer, I suppose you mean a war hammer, which has a
(3d3) as base, which are the (+to hit, +to dam) values, how many attacks
do you have with it? undead will become more and more common, however
also this depends on your variant.

best greetings

Dirk

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
>
> > um...what all does it do?
>
> It kills the enemy!
>
> Um... all the enemy?
>
> Yes, all the enemy. All their wives, all their children, all their
dogs,
> cats, pigs, chickens, cows, and goats. All of 'em, dead.
>
> Oh my...
>
> (Can anyone name the movie? The above is from memory, so I probably
mis-
> quoted it pretty badly.)

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. That's the volcano god describing
a nuclear missle. Great scene.

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> Just IDed a weapon @ lvl 7:
>
> Whip of Venom (1d3) (+4,+6) (a)
>
> um...what all does it do? What is the "(a)" for?
> This is how it IDed on screen.

The (a) is probably the equipment/inventory slot the Whip is in.

You can 'I'nspect a weapon to get info on what it does.

> Oh, yeah, was using a dagger (+2,+7) for multiple attacks, is this a
> better weapon for that? Also, I found a small sword of Slay Dragon,
> and a hammer of Slay Undead....at what lvl will these start being of
> use? I want to keep them at my house until needed to save space.

To get an estimate for the goodness of weapon, calculate the damage:
Attacks * (XdY * (slay or brand, if any) + to-dam bonuses)

Venom brand affects all monsters not resistant to poison, and IIRC it
multiplies damage by 3. Bonus to damage is the latter number in braces.
To-hit bonus (+2 for dagger, +4 for the whip) has a smaller effect.
You might get intrinsic to-hit and to-dam bonuses so you need to check
these before selecting weapon (press 'C' to get info on your char.)

Of the early weapons, Acid/Fire brands and Slay Evil are most useful as
there are few Acid/Fire resistant creatures and many are evil.

Later many monsters get resistant to elemental brands. You can also find
weapons that boost some stat and/or have multiple Slays and resists.

Stat bonuses are seen as a 3rd number:
Whip of Something (+5, +4) (+3)
It boosts your wisdom by 3.

Remember to check the Black Market every time in town. Sometimes they
have weapons you can not afford, but get an idea on what waits deeper.

<pheisner@shoreham.net> wrote:

> > Greetings All,
> >
> > Just IDed a weapon @ lvl 7:
> >
> > Whip of Venom (1d3) (+4,+6) (a)
> >

> Utterly amazing that none of the posts above have mentioned this.
> A Whip of Venom has poison brand. This grants Poison Resist. This
is HUGE.
> Keep it. It's a life-saver. Enchant it up if you want to do more
damage.
> Whips
> are light enough that you should get the same # of blows as a dagger,
and
> you're damage vs. most monsters is 3d3. But the damage is besides
the point.
> The most important early resists to get are Fire,Elec,Acid,Water
(collectively,
> rBase),
> Free Action, and rPoison. Of these, Poison is the hardest to find.
>
> --
> Gallowglass

Not if this is vanilla. In that, poison weapons do NOT automatically
grant resist poison.

Leigh Silas "Skyknight" Hanrihan

Gallowglass schrieb:
> On 2005-05-12 08:54:55, Paul & Victoria Heisner
<pheisner@shoreham.net> wrote:

> > Greetings All,
> >
> > Just IDed a weapon @ lvl 7:
> >
> > Whip of Venom (1d3) (+4,+6) (a)
> >

> Utterly amazing that none of the posts above have mentioned this.
> A Whip of Venom has poison brand. This grants Poison Resist. This
is HUGE.
> Keep it. It's a life-saver. Enchant it up if you want to do more
damage.
> Whips
> are light enough that you should get the same # of blows as a dagger,
and
> you're damage vs. most monsters is 3d3. But the damage is besides
the point.
> The most important early resists to get are Fire,Elec,Acid,Water
(collectively,
> rBase),
> Free Action, and rPoison. Of these, Poison is the hardest to find.
>
> --
> Gallowglass

Maybe you mixed this up with some artifacts, which are elemental
branded and usually grant resistance to the corresponding element.

Igor D. WonderLlama wrote:

> The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. That's the volcano god describing
> a nuclear missle. Great scene.

Great scene? Great *movie*! Anyway, yes, that's it.

Now that it's in my head, I've got to go rent it... :)

sherm--

In article <d6054o$1kiq$1@news.vol.cz>,
Gallowglass <spam16384@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2005-05-12 08:54:55, Paul & Victoria Heisner <pheisner@shoreham.net> wrote:
>> Whip of Venom (1d3) (+4,+6) (a)
>
>Utterly amazing that none of the posts above have mentioned this.
>A Whip of Venom has poison brand. This grants Poison Resist. This is HUGE.
>Keep it. It's a life-saver. Enchant it up if you want to do more damage.
>Whips
>are light enough that you should get the same # of blows as a dagger, and
>you're damage vs. most monsters is 3d3. But the damage is besides the point.
>The most important early resists to get are Fire,Elec,Acid,Water (collectively,
>rBase),
>Free Action, and rPoison. Of these, Poison is the hardest to find.

First of all, Venom ego weapons don't provide Resist Poison.

Secondly, you don't need poison resist for a long, long, time, and by
the time you get there, this whip would be woefully underpowered.

Thirdly, poison resist is overrated.
--
Julian Lighton jl8e@fragment.com
/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Gallowglass wrote:
> Utterly amazing that none of the posts above have mentioned this.
> A Whip of Venom has poison brand. This grants Poison Resist. This is HUGE.

It doesn't in vanilla, last I checked. Electrical, fiery, icy, and
acidic weapons grant their respective resistance though, just to make
things inconsistent.

In variants, YMMV, of course.

Julian Lighton wrote:
> Thirdly, poison resist is overrated.

Play a lot of high-HP characters do you? I can tell you as one who has
won a variant with a character who never had more than 790HP the whole
game that poison resist is not overrated -- for some characters anyway. ;)

>Utterly amazing that none of the posts above have mentioned this.
>A Whip of Venom has poison brand. This grants Poison Resist. This is
HUGE.

Poison brand doesn't confer resistance in vanilla!

In article <ZrSdnbuqsc9unBnfRVn-hQ@rogers.com>,
Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> wrote:
>Julian Lighton wrote:
>> Thirdly, poison resist is overrated.
>
>Play a lot of high-HP characters do you? I can tell you as one who has
>won a variant with a character who never had more than 790HP the whole
>game that poison resist is not overrated -- for some characters anyway. ;)

So, how many times during all your games have you ever taken a blast
from a big poison breather that you didn't know was there?
--

Julian Lighton wrote:
> So, how many times during all your games have you ever taken a blast
> from a big poison breather that you didn't know was there?

Occasionally had poison resistance save my butt that way as a matter of
fact.