HP DM4 vs Macbook Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipitgood

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Hey everyone, hopefully this isn't an inappropriate question to ask here. I'm a college student who is going to buy a laptop in the very near future for use at school - hopefully during a Christmas sale. I have had only good experiences with HP so far, and I have irrational brand loyalty, so I have narrowed my choice down to an HP DM4 with upgrades to 6GB RAM, 500GB HD, a core i5 CPU, and the available GPU upgrade.

Here's the thing though, Macs have MUCH higher reliability in consumer reports, and everyone that I know that has one LOVES it. And I know that they are more reliable, and have lower failure rates, etc... but they're pricy, and I don't really like the Mac OS.

What do you all think?

I can't afford to spend more than $900-$1000 - hopefully less than that. And I figure that if I am going to spend this much for a laptop, I might as well get one that will last long-term, do some light gaming (WoW with medium settings), and have the potential to serve as a viable computer replacement if something should happen to my desktop.

I'm torn. Continue ahead as planned with my customized HP DM4, or try to find an affordable Macbook. What do you all think of the two?

Link to the HP before customization:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/dm4t_series/3/computer_store

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Question:
What do you plan to be doing with your computer? The MacBook is useful for Graphic Design and Audio Production but the HP DM4 will be better suited to *everything else*.

MacBooks are nowhere near as reliable as people say they are; I have a MacBook and I find it immensely confusing and underperforming, nothing like my user-friendly Windows 7 powered PC.

Get the HP. You will regret buying the Mac; they are too restrictive.

-Klosteral

mikel96413

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I agree with Klosteral, get the HP. I just got a customized dm4 loaded for $1019 all in and it is a smokin rig. Thin and light and will do virtually everything I need (business, video and a occasional game) and it has been flawless. the fact it has a 14" screen and weighs 4.4lbs, it was the best option for me at a grand. I beefed it up to get 2 to 3 years.

My Config

Intel i5-560 2.66GHz - Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
1GB ATI Mobility HD6370
6GB DDR3 RAM
640GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Intel wireless N & Bluetooth

This is my 2 cents. best of luck

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I do not think anyone was getting at the problem rates for either, just giving a uses-vs-price-vs-performance comparison between the two, which the HP won.

To be honest, the HP Windows computer will be a better buy for you UNLESS you need good battery life or the sleek design of the MacBook.

Status
Not open for further replies.