Broken Dagger of Extra Attacks question

Greetings All,

My lvl 7 High Elf Warrior just found on dlvl 5 Broken Dagger of Extra
Attacks (1d1) (+3,-2) (+1).

Um, is this thing useful at all? And does anyone have an idea what
the (+1) does, it dosed't seem to add to the stats any. Is it worth
magicing up?

Except for this, the *only* thing magical I have found so far is a
filthy rag (+2)! Not complaining about the game in general, it has
been great so far even if I did lose my clvl 19 warrior stupidly, but
even he had a Whip of Venom on lvl 2. Just seems a bit sparse, that's
all.

Thanks for the help.

Paul C. Heisner
The Rot Jelly touches you -more- you feel ugly -more-
you hear a mirror shatter....

Jordan

The (+1) I would guess (going off the title) stands for an extra
attack. This means that if you normally got 4 blows/turn with a broken
dagger, you will now get 5. It seems pointless though since each dice
can only roll 1 and it automatically subtracts 2, you will never do any
damage no matter how many blows.

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> My lvl 7 High Elf Warrior just found on dlvl 5 Broken Dagger of Extra
> Attacks (1d1) (+3,-2) (+1).
>
> Um, is this thing useful at all? And does anyone have an idea what
> the (+1) does, it dosed't seem to add to the stats any. Is it worth
> magicing up?

You get one more blow with it. I'd consider it a free 14,000 gold or
thereabouts, i.e. sell it. :)

> Except for this, the *only* thing magical I have found so far is a
> filthy rag (+2)!

I thought you'd found whips of venom and slay dragon or some such?

> Not complaining about the game in general, it has been great so far even
> if I did lose my clvl 19 warrior stupidly

Oh...what happened?

Anyway, items are luck of the draw. Some games you get some really nice
stuff early. Some games you're waiting most of the way to statgain for
the freakin' Phial. With time and enough objects generated you should
eventually find something good. :)

Smeagol can be really nasty for early charakters. If you don't have see
invisible or at least infravision he is even more nasty.
If you are lucky, you can buy or find an early potion of speed, wich is
very helpful against Smeagol.

Jordan wrote:
> The (+1) I would guess (going off the title) stands for an extra
> attack. This means that if you normally got 4 blows/turn with a broken
> dagger, you will now get 5. It seems pointless though since each dice
> can only roll 1 and it automatically subtracts 2, you will never do any
> damage no matter how many blows.

Enchanted up it wouldn't be really horrible, but there are probably far
better early game weapons out there.

Usually you don't have a Wand of Wonder (even if I had one, I would
sell it anyway) in early game.
Wand of Wonder is in my opinion only last choice for hopeless
situations - if you have nothing else, you can even try that one. ;-)

Bill Hicks predicted that on Sat, 14 May 2005 01:18:59 -0400, Twisted
One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> would write:

>Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>
>> Except for this, the *only* thing magical I have found so far is a
>> filthy rag (+2)!
>
>I thought you'd found whips of venom and slay dragon or some such?

I had with the clvl 19 warrior and was using that wonderful little S &
M weapon on everything including baby dragons without much
problem...sniff...I miss my widdle whip!

>> Not complaining about the game in general, it has been great so far even
> > if I did lose my clvl 19 warrior stupidly
>
>Oh...what happened?

YASD--I got trapped in a room with a bunch of little "o"s mostly green
some purple, on dlvd 14, don't remember what they were...orc with a
leader or some such. Got around me before I could retreat into a
hallway......sigh.....

>Anyway, items are luck of the draw. Some games you get some really nice
>stuff early. Some games you're waiting most of the way to statgain for
>the freakin' Phial. With time and enough objects generated you should
>eventually find something good. :)

That's OK, I am trying again....had a clvl 7 warrior encounter that
smeghead Smeagol on dlvl 3 and 4, knocked him down to no stars 5 times
and all he dose is teleport away everytime....with some of my cash!
When you only get 1/rd with your sword and that is all you have to
fight with, what is a low lvl char to do against something like that?

Anywho, thanks for the info...;)

Paul C. Heisner

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> YASD--I got trapped in a room with a bunch of little "o"s mostly green
> some purple, on dlvd 14, don't remember what they were...orc with a
> leader or some such. Got around me before I could retreat into a
> hallway......sigh.....

Scrolls of teleportation were made for this sort of situation.

> That's OK, I am trying again....had a clvl 7 warrior encounter that
> smeghead Smeagol on dlvl 3 and 4, knocked him down to no stars 5 times
> and all he dose is teleport away everytime....with some of my cash!
> When you only get 1/rd with your sword and that is all you have to
> fight with, what is a low lvl char to do against something like that?

Use a wand of wonder, a wand of foo bolts, a missile weapon, or even
chuck a flask of oil.

Various people gripe about smeagol.

A few points:

1. Smeagol is harmless. Since he can't kill you, and he steals maybe
30 gold at a time, who cares about him anyway? It's Bullroarer who can
actually kill the unprepared. So, just ignore Smeagol until you get a
good enough bow. The deeper he is, the better the drop. It's worth
losing a little cash for a depth 500' drop instead of depth 150'.

2. Wand of wonder works fine against Smeagol. "Haste" is only bad
outcome, since heal does almost nothing (compared to fireball), and
clone has no effect on uniques. Kind of risky with Bullroarer, but if
your back is against the wall, you gotta do what you gotta do.

3. Half-troll or Half-orc can just melee him with a light weapon from
the store. Even an "average" dagger is better than the lousy
broadsword! Half-orc starts with up to 4 blows; half-troll with up to
3. But, see (1). Wait for a better weapon, lose less gold, get better
loot.

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> My lvl 7 High Elf Warrior just found on dlvl 5 Broken Dagger of
Extra
> Attacks (1d1) (+3,-2) (+1).
>
> Um, is this thing useful at all? And does anyone have an idea what
> the (+1) does, it dosed't seem to add to the stats any. Is it worth
> magicing up?

This is a great weapon. I don't understand why everyone has
been posting otherwise. You need to enchant it up and get some
damage rings for it to kick in fully.

Suppose you emchant it up to +7 dam, and have two +10 damage rings.
Maybe you will have an intrinsic +5 dam from strength as well.
It would not surprise me if you find a weapon you think is good
that gives you 3 attacks when you could get 5 attacks with this one.
Then the comparison would be 3 * (dam + 32) versus 5 * 33.
Unless the dam is HUGE, you are better off with the broken dagger.
If your dex is low, and it is 2 attacks vs 4 attacks, the argument
is even stronger.

If it turns out that, due to the weight of the "better" weapon, you
get slowed by the weight of the loot you are carrying, you should add
in an additional 10% bonus for the difference in speed.

Eddie

Eddie grove writes:

>> Um, is [a broken dagger of attacks]useful at all? And does anyone
have an idea what
>> the (+1) does, it dosed't seem to add to the stats any. Is it worth
>> magicing up?

>This is a great weapon. I don't understand why everyone has
>been posting otherwise. You need to enchant it up and get some
>damage rings for it to kick in fully.

I agree it's potentially an OK weapon. It's an all-or-nothing thing.
Keep it in storage, and if you manage to find enough damage scrolls,
use them. If you find a regular dagger of extra attacks use it. And
if you ever find Narsil, the broken sword 3d2 of 2 extra attacks and a
whole lot of other stuff, use that instead. (I've only ever found
Narsil once at depth. I used it until 2200'.) Still, extra attacks
is valuable and rare.

My current weapon is a Whip +3 attacks.

On 2005-05-14 09:42:49, Paul & Victoria Heisner <pheisner@shoreham.net> wrote:

> That's OK, I am trying again....had a clvl 7 warrior encounter that
> smeghead Smeagol on dlvl 3 and 4, knocked him down to no stars 5 times
> and all he dose is teleport away everytime....with some of my cash!
> When you only get 1/rd with your sword and that is all you have to
> fight with, what is a low lvl char to do against something like that?

If you're playing a warrior, you might just as well play a Half-Troll. A HTW can
easily get strength so high, even as initial, that he has two blows per round
with the broad sword, making fighting Smeagol if not easy at least possible.
(And is, of course, extremely useful anyway.)

Ojomax

"Mondkalb" <seoman_mondkalb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Smeagol can be really nasty for early charakters. If you don't have see
> invisible or at least infravision he is even more nasty.
> If you are lucky, you can buy or find an early potion of speed, wich is
> very helpful against Smeagol.

I'll repeat a small part of what Neo wrote.

Use a wand of wonder! Kills Smeagol good.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

> Usually you don't have a Wand of Wonder (even if I had one, I would
> sell it anyway) in early game.
> Wand of Wonder is in my opinion only last choice for hopeless
> situations - if you have nothing else, you can even try that one. ;-)

This is why I replied; your thinking here is incorrect, don't sell wands
of wonder early in the game. Use them on OOD critters and uniques (e.g.
Smeagol).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

On the fourth moon of the second planet of a dying star, Twisted One
was seen to write...

> Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
>> YASD--I got trapped in a room with a bunch of little "o"s mostly green
>> some purple, on dlvd 14, don't remember what they were...orc with a
>> leader or some such. Got around me before I could retreat into a
>> hallway......sigh.....
>
> Scrolls of teleportation were made for this sort of situation.
>
>> That's OK, I am trying again....had a clvl 7 warrior encounter that
>> smeghead Smeagol on dlvl 3 and 4, knocked him down to no stars 5 times
>> and all he dose is teleport away everytime....with some of my cash!
>> When you only get 1/rd with your sword and that is all you have to
>> fight with, what is a low lvl char to do against something like that?
>
> Use a wand of wonder, a wand of foo bolts, a missile weapon, or even
> chuck a flask of oil.

Or (my preferred solution) avoid any level he's on until you can
actually kill him. :->

*Why* did JLE have to make him so much tougher...?
--
- Martin Bazley - "Being me is a 24-hour job"
martin@bazley.freeuk.com - Wimbledon, London, England

1 more note about smeagol, if you are struggling against him, usually
just 1 good piece of armor is enough to turn the tide. if you can get
your AC up to 15 or so then you can just pound on him with your melee
weapon and his attempts to steal will mostly fail

Murphy S.

Aaah! Thanx. :)

With my new Char I had again lots of trouble with Smeagol, he stole and
stole and stole ... *grrr*

"Mondkalb" <seoman_mondkalb@yahoo.com> schrieb ...

>I thought steeling is prevented by high DEX.

In order to steal, he must first hit the player.
If he hits, high dex will reduce the chance of stealing.

And with an AC of 18+, Smeagol will only hit 5% of the time
(the minimum hit rate).

Werner.

Mondkalb writes:

>With my new Char I had again lots of trouble with Smeagol, he stole
and
>stole and stole ... *grrr*

Been there done that. Take it as a strong hint that there are some
uniques you should simply stay away from until later in the game.
Stealing gold is the least of your worries! If you can't detect evil,
then just ignore him, and go to the next level. You probably won't see
him for a while. Smeagol, breeders, molds, and jellies are early
hints that there are some regular monsters you should stay away from.
I have killed zero Bile Wyrms, Storm Wyrms and very few AMHD in my
current (and far the best) game. Same for high demons. Without
immunity, they are a mistake even to try to kill. Not because you will
die, but because you will lose extremely valuable gear; far worse than
merely losing gold, or a few points of armor class. Of course, it's
even worse when instead of equipment, you lose your life...

In my current (and far best) game, I killed one big lightning breather:
Pazuzu Lord of Air, and one big everything--breather: Ancalagon the
Black. I've still managed to lose two rods of Teleport other, one to
Pazuzu.

I usually try to kill Smeagol because he somtetimes drops good items.
Loosing the money isn't that much tragic - it just takes time to gain
it back. ;)

I've only ever seen Smeagol drop money. It's really frustrating to
lose 5000 gold to his stealing tactics, and kill him for a lousy 125.

"Bishop136" <cramer.brian@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've only ever seen Smeagol drop money. It's really frustrating to
> lose 5000 gold to his stealing tactics, and kill him for a lousy 125.

If you don't want to fight him just regenerate the level.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-