Short Bow vs Sling

Greeting All,

I am wondering about a few things,

My clvl 11 warrior had found a short bow and some slings, is one
better that the other or is it mostly a matter of the pluses? I know
weight is considered and that iron shot is heavier that arrows.
The other thing that I haven't quite figured out yet is how the weight
system works. I know if I carry too much I slow down, but if say, I
switch my chain mail (22 lbs) for a robe (2lbs) and get rid of the CM
does this allow me to carry that many more items that combined, weigh
22lbs? I have noticed that my slots never seem to go past "w".

Thanks for the help!

Paul C. Heisner

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:

> My clvl 11 warrior had found a short bow and some slings, is one
> better that the other or is it mostly a matter of the pluses? I know
> weight is considered and that iron shot is heavier that arrows.

No difference in how the sling/bow applies, but basic arrows are 1d4
compared to 1d3 or 1d2 for basic sling ammo (and there is also better
high level ammo for bows).

> The other thing that I haven't quite figured out yet is how the
weight
> system works. I know if I carry too much I slow down, but if say, I
> switch my chain mail (22 lbs) for a robe (2lbs) and get rid of the
CM
> does this allow me to carry that many more items that combined, weigh
> 22lbs?

You never get any more inventory slots. You start to be slowed when
your total burden reaches IIRC 6*STR, then progressively with each
additional multiple of your STR. If you play a spellcaster, there is
also a penalty to mana when your worn armor gets too heavy (and in this
case you will get the message "The weight of your armor encumbers your
movement").

Nick.

Bill Hicks predicted that on Mon, 16 May 2005 05:04:36 GMT, Paul &
Victoria Heisner <pheisner@shoreham.net> would write:

>Greeting All,
>
>I am wondering about a few things,

<Snipping my own stuff>

On a somewhat related note:

I have found a short bow (x2) (+3,+5)
and a Long Bow (x3) (+4,+1).

Which is better and what is the (+3) for?

thanks in advance!

Paul C. Heisner

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> Greeting All,
>
> I am wondering about a few things,
>
> My clvl 11 warrior had found a short bow and some slings, is one
> better that the other or is it mostly a matter of the pluses? I know
> weight is considered and that iron shot is heavier that arrows.
> The other thing that I haven't quite figured out yet is how the weight
> system works. I know if I carry too much I slow down, but if say, I
> switch my chain mail (22 lbs) for a robe (2lbs) and get rid of the CM
> does this allow me to carry that many more items that combined, weigh
> 22lbs? I have noticed that my slots never seem to go past "w".
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Paul C. Heisner

Number of stacks you can carry is limited, "w" is last inventory slot.

I think the weight is not limited, you will just be slowed. (In some
variants with monsters corpses you can lug around a dead dragon with
speed -300) Swapping in the robe will allow carrying heavier loot before
being slowed.

Are the shooters you have 'plain' or ego (might, accuracy, power)?
If they are plain, go with the short bow and once you can, buy
a longbow and enchant it with scrolls.

Damage per shot (for normal ammo without brands/slays) is roughly:

multiplier * (XdY + arrow/shot bonus + bow/sling damage bonus)

Longbow is x3 so you deal 50% more damage /shot, shortbow/sling is x2.

Remember to inscribe (command '{') your ammo with @f1 =g - this way you
can select it by number 1 when shooting, you can use 0-9 for different
ammo so you use the good arrows on tough monsters and kill the icky
things with plain ones. The "=g" means you always pick up the arrows
when you walk over them, it is handy.

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:

> On a somewhat related note:
>
> I have found a short bow (x2) (+3,+5)
> and a Long Bow (x3) (+4,+1).

For now short bow, enchant that long bow with two scrolls of to_dam and
it becomes better. (2.5+5)*2=15, (2.5+3)*3=16.5

> Which is better and what is the (+3) for?

(multiplier) (to_hit,to_damage) (pval (if any))

x3 is multiplier. It multiplies _entire_ damage.

Bow damage calculation goes like this:

(arrow_dice + arrow_to_hit + bow_to_hit) * bow_multiplier * arrow_slay/brand

Extra might adds its bonus (pval) to bow multiplier, Extra shot
multiplies (pval) your shooting speed (*2 means you _move_ twice as fast
_when shooting_, not that you shoot two arrows with single shot).

Timo Pietilä

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> Greeting All,
>
> I am wondering about a few things,
>
> My clvl 11 warrior had found a short bow and some slings, is one
> better that the other or is it mostly a matter of the pluses? I know
> weight is considered and that iron shot is heavier that arrows.

And arrows have more dice, and can continue to be used when you find a
good longbow. Multiplier's the same, bow ammo is superior, and it'll be
easier to move up to a x3 launcher later. I say go with the short bow.
Enchant it up, of course.

> The other thing that I haven't quite figured out yet is how the weight
> system works. I know if I carry too much I slow down, but if say, I
> switch my chain mail (22 lbs) for a robe (2lbs) and get rid of the CM
> does this allow me to carry that many more items that combined, weigh
> 22lbs? I have noticed that my slots never seem to go past "w".

Slots are limited to 23, no matter what. On the other hand, dumping the
chain mail would free the slot the chain mail was in and allow you to
carry 22 more pounds of something that isn't chain mail without being
slowed. :)

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> On a somewhat related note:
>
> I have found a short bow (x2) (+3,+5)
> and a Long Bow (x3) (+4,+1).
>
> Which is better and what is the (+3) for?

The long bow, once enchanted up. Especially if you're a ranger.

The +3 on the short bow is to accuracy. More important for missile
weapons than it is for melee weapons, but still not as important as damage.

I'd use the long bow, sell the short bow, and enchant the long bow up to
(+9,+9).