Help choosing? BenQ GW2450, Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM or..?

Eibhilin

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
At present I have a Samsung SyncMaster P2770H. It's a great display, but for a second rig I want something that has a higher static contrast ratio and better color. Shooting to find two 24" displays but the part of me that desperately wants an IPS (despite otherwise glossy preferences) is kind of eating at me.

My budget is in the range of around $220~ each.

These will primarily be used for design/3d work, though I do spend a fair amount of time gaming. I would like something with a decent refresh (ghosting does bother me but not a lot unless it's bad). I'd like the best color accuracy/blacks for the money, but size is also a consideration.

What I'm looking at:
BenQ GW2450
Asus VS248H-P
Asus ML249H
Dell UltraSharp U2312HM

I'm leaning VA at this point, but I can't really find any reviews on the BenQ GW2450. On paper this seems to hit the closest to what I'm looking for. The best I've found regarding this monitor was a thread on hardocp that seemed... to make it seem fairly lackluster. Anyone have any experiences with the BenQ? Otherwise, any feedback or suggestions?

Solution
One last thing to consider...

LCD monitors with LED backlight actually use blue LEDs with a yellow phosphorus coating to imitate white. Sometimes this white imitation comes of slightly bluish which is why you may see some reviews of "LED monitors" having a slightly bluish hue. Naturally this throws off color accuracy if that is important to you. This is not the case with all "LED monitors", but it's good to know the drawbacks of LED backlight.
Well... first of all the BenQ GW2450 is a relatively inexpensive monitor and all LCD panel technologies have it's strength and weaknesses. If you step up to an Eizo monitor you will likely get a better monitor at a higher price. But higher prices will also likely mean more critical reviews because of higher expectations.

VA or in this case A-MVA strongest attribute is the contrast ratio. TN and IPS panels more or less are stuck at 1000:1 static contrast ratio and many times that is a bit of an exaggeration for TN panels. VA panels can have a static contrast ratio of as high as 5000:1 on premium S-PVA panel and less expensive VA monitor are typically around 2000:1 or 3000:1. Thus, VA panels typically offers better blacks and color gradients compared to other panel techs.

Gamma shift and slow response times are usually the complaints about VA panels, but being that the BenQ2450's rated GTG response time is pretty low at 4ms. It's hard to say how aggressive the response time acceleration is and if it causes any inverse ghosting, but I would assume the someone over at Hardforum (HardOCP's forum) would have mentioned it.

My assumption is that the A-MVA panel used in the BenQ GW2450 is a 6-bit panel with FRC similar to the e-IPS panel used in the Dell U2312HM. True 8-bit panels typically cost more to manufacture because if more materials used and the rejection rate is higher, both of which increases the cost per unit. While color accuracy will be better than a TN panel, it will not be as good as a true 8-bit IPS or VA panel. Then again cost is a consideration.

I would avoid the Asus VS248H-P simply because it is a TN panel monitor and not a good choice if color accuracy is a priority. While the Asus ML249H has a MVA panel, it sits very low to the table, I prefer a stand capable of height adjustment which this monitor obvious does not offer and there are VESA holes for a 3rd party monitor stand with height adjustment options. Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty decent monitor. The leaves the BenQ GW2450 and the Dell U2312HM...

The Benq GW2450 is a new comer and there are no official reviews about it. On what little information is available for it, it seems like a good monitor for the money. The only big gripe is the lack of height adjustment, but at least there are VESA holes for a mount. Contrast should be good given it's A-MVA panel and the 4ms response time seems very good as long as the response time acceleration does not cause any inverse ghosting issues. The Dell U2312HM is pretty much well reviewed and there are many opinions out there about this monitor. Overall, the U2312HM is the de facto monitor of choice given it's known strengths and weaknesses. But contrast ratios are not as good as with a A-MVA panel monitor like the BenQ. While the rated response time is not as low as the BenQ many people owners seem to say that it is perfectly capable for playing games.

One last thing to consider...

LCD monitors with LED backlight actually use blue LEDs with a yellow phosphorus coating to imitate white. Sometimes this white imitation comes of slightly bluish which is why you may see some reviews of "LED monitors" having a slightly bluish hue. Naturally this throws off color accuracy if that is important to you. This is not the case with all "LED monitors", but it's good to know the drawbacks of LED backlight.

Solution
G

I bought Benq GW2750 for my ps3 a week ago and it's really great monitor. I know its not for the best gaming experience, but response is great and i enjoyed everything starting with games ending with movies on this monitor. For that money you will be really satisfied! Hope it helps, good luck with choosing.

Eibhilin

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. jeffredo> that's a phenomenal price for that display. XD
For anyone else considering the U2312HM, the Dell Outlet actually lists it for $189 when it's available.

In the end I went another direction (largely due to a budget increase) but for the price and quality the Dells really look hard to beat (especially when considering Outlet pricing).

Oxford Guy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

There are no 6-bit A-MVA panels coming from AUO. It's 8-bit.

The internal processing is one matter. There is also the issue of white LED gamut. Many white LEDs do not provide full sRGB coverage.

Oxford Guy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

Not typically, always. There is no LCD tech that offers better black level than VA.

I've never seen S-PVA panels with real contrast that's higher than A-MVA and c-PVA. I've read many extensive reviews on tftcentral and prad.de. I believe you're mistaken.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
I found a complete test (actualy, the most complete test i've ever saw for a monitor) for the BenQ GW2450HM (same panel as BenQ GW2450 with added HDMI and speakers)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2450hm.htm

I'm currently in the process of buying one, since the AOC 2460Swd that i originally bought had a very yellow picture, no matter how i was setting it, and the pixel voltage, which can be tested here http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php was off on four of the 11 tests. I returned it to tigerdirect yesterday, and hope they won't charge me any restocking fee.

Also note that there is a complete set of tests that helps you adjust your screen there http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ , very useful :)

The BenQ GW2450HM seems to be the right choice at the moment. I was also looking for the Asus VS247H-P or Asus VS248H-P, but there's too many reviews of them with dead pixels right out of the box :(

cruitbuck

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Just a note to all: if you crack open as many monitors as I have, most all have benq power supplies and other benq components. Just saying. Though benq is lower in price, it's a well propagated brand.