[Theme]: Piety

Ok, so I am worshipping Aule the Smith, but my piety keeps dropping.
It does not seem to matter what type of weapon that I am holding (I
tried them all!). I take it hafted weapons mean axes?

On this line, is it sound advice to wait until clvl 30 or such before
choosing a god, but is it ok to start from the beginning? Tks.

Carl

numberpro@fastmail.fm wrote:
> Ok, so I am worshipping Aule the Smith, but my piety keeps dropping.
> It does not seem to matter what type of weapon that I am holding (I
> tried them all!). I take it hafted weapons mean axes?
>
> On this line, is it sound advice to wait until clvl 30 or such before
> choosing a god, but is it ok to start from the beginning? Tks.
>
> Carl

Hafted weapons can be sold to temples:
quarterstaff, whip, mace, morning star, war hammer, etc.

Hi,

Am 16 May 2005 23:22:45 -0700, schrieb numberpro@fastmail.fm:

> Ok, so I am worshipping Aule the Smith, but my piety keeps dropping.
> It does not seem to matter what type of weapon that I am holding (I
> tried them all!). I take it hafted weapons mean axes?

Your piety drops unless you are a (petty-)dwarf, dark elf, or gnome.
The more hafted weapons and axes you are carrying, the more you piety
will rise. So a dwarf with an axe as weapon has his piety (slowly)
rising, while a member of a race aule doesn't like needs to carry some
additional axes or hammers in his backpack.

> On this line, is it sound advice to wait until clvl 30 or such before
> choosing a god, but is it ok to start from the beginning? Tks.

If you choose your god because of his spells (Aule's spells are nearly
cheating ;-)), you probably want a high prayer-skill. You can save
skill-points if you do his god quests, so you probably want to have a
god from the beginning to get them all...

With some gods, like melkor, you'll have negative piety at the
beginning, but normally this will be over soon enough.

Aule is a bit tricky, I admit, but he won't get better at higher
levels... just buy 20 cleavers and run around with them in the woods ;-)

Juergen

Juergen Frieling wrote:
[snip]

I don't see a variant tag I recognize, but this discussion sounds like
it relates to ToME? Or is "Theme" some new variant?

Twisted One wrote:
> I don't see a variant tag I recognize, but this discussion sounds
like
> it relates to ToME? Or is "Theme" some new variant?

Theme is a ToME variant. I don't think it is particularly new.

Igor D. WonderLlama wrote:
> Theme is a ToME variant. I don't think it is particularly new.

Hrm. It hasn't been mentioned here in the past several months until
yesterday. It must be very rarely mentioned and not especially popular,
unless maybe it's forked off its own forum somewhere.

Ok, I this is weird. I picked a dwarf archer, wielding a flail of
maiar, and my piety still goes down. What gives? Even when I am
carrying other axes and hammers, it *still* does down.

Could I be carrying something that causes piety to drop?

Hi,

Am 18 May 2005 19:34:52 -0700, schrieb numberpro@fastmail.fm:
> Ok, I this is weird. I picked a dwarf archer, wielding a flail of
> maiar, and my piety still goes down. What gives? Even when I am
> carrying other axes and hammers, it *still* does down.

I looked it up in scpt/gods_new.lua:

A dwarf's piety should only go down when he's praying. Stop that, your
chance for stone-skin is very low at the start. At least don't pray all
the time.

All axes, but not all hafted weapons make your piety go up - only those
with the flags SV_WAR_HAMMER, SV_LUCERNE_HAMMER or SV_GREAT_HAMMER.

And don't kill dwarves...

Juergen

Twisted One writes:
> Igor D. WonderLlama wrote:
> > Theme is a ToME variant. I don't think it is particularly new.
>
> Hrm. It hasn't been mentioned here in the past several months until
> yesterday. It must be very rarely mentioned and not especially
popular,
> unless maybe it's forked off its own forum somewhere.

Like most ToME stuff, it is mostly discussed in the ToME forums. I was
never able to judge how popular it is. Haven't tried it yet myself,
but probably will some day.