Sign in with
Your question

Monitor not working

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 19, 2012 9:35:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I have been having an issue with my monitor not working lately. It is not receiving the signal from my computer to the actual monitor (the monitor is my television). I have figured out that if I pull the CMOS and reinsert it then that normally fixes the problem, but it will randomly happen again. It could happen the next time I turn on the computer or it could be a day or two later. I just don't want to have to do this every couple of days. Do I need to update my BIOS to fix the problem? I hope this is in the right location on the forum.

Thanks for any help.

More about : monitor working

a b C Monitor
June 19, 2012 10:12:52 PM

Please explain what you mean by "if I pull the CMOS and reinsert it then that normally fixes the problem." There is no part on a PC that is normally called the CMOS.
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:31:37 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
Please explain what you mean by "if I pull the CMOS and reinsert it then that normally fixes the problem." There is no part on a PC that is normally called the CMOS.

I am talking about the battery on the motherboard. I thought it was called the cmos battery but i must have been mistaken
m
l
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2012 8:08:26 PM

You are right, people call that battery the CMOS battery, BIOS battery, Real Time Clock (RTC) battery, or simply the motherboard battery. I thought that might be it, but I was not going to assume ;) 

I cannot think of any reason that helps. Is your video part of the motherboard, or a card? If a card, try removing and reinstalling the card to insure a good connection.
m
l
!