[V3.0.05 - YAWP] hT Paladin + question about Morgoth summon

half-Troll Paladin called Beleg Ohta II, meleed Morgoth successfully, no
close calls on final fight. Burned 14 !oHealing, 1 !o*Healing*, 1
!oLife, 1 ?oBanishment, 1 ?oMassBanishment. Also, I used 2 charges from
staff of banishment when entering level to get rid of U's and L's.

I left Azog, king of uruk-hai alive in purpose, and Vargo was once seen
but on that time he was too tought and left behind. Morgoth summoned
both of them, and Azog had huge escorth with him. But Vargo was another
case, he got killed on Morgys shattering attacks. Actually, he got
summoned 3 times during final fight :p

So, would it be good tactics to let few unique orcs alive for final
fight? Does Morgy prefer to summon uniques, or does he choose to cast
spell, and all spells have equal chance?

To make this post shorter, here is facts about winner: 1138hp, 400mp,
174AC. stats: 18/260, 18/100, 18/180, 18/130, 18/220, 18/110. Equipment:
Ringil, Cubragol, Nenya, Narya, Elessar, Westernesse, PDSM, Colannon,
Thranduil, Fingolfin, BoS (+10), all books, plentyfully stacked potions
for final fight, --Speed, 5x --TeleOther

Morgy dropped massive crown, mighty hammer, Gil-Galad and egos, he
didn't summond anything but uniques, monsters and dragons, luckily no
greater undeads. Had to teleport some D's away, and use massbanish, when
horde of various ancient D's got summoned.

Detailed dump can be found from oook,
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=3930

- donalde -

Twisted One wrote:
> MMAgCh wrote:
> > Twisted One wrote:

> >> I don't see your shield mentioned here...Anarion?
> >
> > Thorin.
>
> Erm, you're not the original poster, so that looks like a guess
rather
> than a fact. :p Anyway isn't Anarion the usual choice for the final
fight?

Not a guess, just look directly at the linked dump which shows Thorin.

Twisted One wrote:

> Pasi 'donalde' Vartiainen wrote:
>
>> Detailed dump can be found from oook,
>> http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=3930
>
> I don't see your shield mentioned here...Anarion?

From the character dump you were too lazy to click on and read:

i) The Small Metal Shield of Thorin [3,+21] (+4) {BlackOoze, '1950}
It increases your strength and constitution by 4. It provides
immunity to acid. It provides resistance to fear, sound, and chaos.
It grants you immunity to paralysis. It cannot be harmed by the
elements.

sherm--

Twisted One wrote:
> Sherm Pendley wrote:
> > From the character dump you were too lazy to click on and read:
>
> I usually ignore links in Usenet posts, other than those that are
direct
the
> link is useless or smart-arse.)

Strange that anyone would up-front admit to being foolish. But I do
give credit for honesty...

The link would directly answer a question, faster than making an
unnecessary response. The post answers your question *in advance*, by
noting where to go for the complete results.

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> From the character dump you were too lazy to click on and read:

I usually ignore links in Usenet posts, other than those that are direct
link is useless or smart-arse.)

pete mack wrote:
[snip insults]

Haven't you got anything constructive to do?

Pasi 'donalde' Vartiainen wrote:
> I left Azog, king of uruk-hai alive in purpose, and Vargo was once seen
> but on that time he was too tought and left behind. Morgoth summoned
> both of them, and Azog had huge escorth with him. But Vargo was another
> case, he got killed on Morgys shattering attacks. Actually, he got
> summoned 3 times during final fight :p
>
> So, would it be good tactics to let few unique orcs alive for final
> fight? Does Morgy prefer to summon uniques, or does he choose to cast
> spell, and all spells have equal chance?

Since last mail was turned into wrong track by Twisted One aka Neo, lets
have another try.

Would it be good idea to leave some lesser uniques alive to be summoned
by morgy? Something that usually has escort, like orc uniques? That
would benefit melee classes, and classes whose main attack is ball
spell. Rangers otoh would have trouble getting clear shot to Morgy.

- donalde -

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Pasi 'donalde' Vartiainen wrote:
> Would it be good idea to leave some lesser uniques alive to be
summoned
> by morgy? Something that usually has escort, like orc uniques? That
> would benefit melee classes, and classes whose main attack is ball
> spell. Rangers otoh would have trouble getting clear shot to Morgy.

I have seen this suggested as a strategy before. In particular, the
Queen Ant is a good candidate, as she not only comes with an escort,
but summons lots of fairly weak things often. I believe M is no more
likely to summon uniques than anything else, but you could always just
banish or teleport other stuff and wait. Can't see a way around the
ranger issue, besides shooting from melee range :) Still, people are
always complaining about rangers being overpowered - maybe this evens
the score a bit.

Nick.

Nick wrote:

<snip>

> Still, people are
> always complaining about rangers being overpowered - maybe this evens
> the score a bit.

Rangers are quite powerfull. I am currently playing high elf ranger, who
refuses to melee anything, so only spells and shooting. He wasn't
wielding any melee weapon until dlvl 92, when something dropped ringil.
I disenchanted ringil to +0 +0 with disenchanter eye (I was only wearing
ringil when I standed next to disenchanter eye). So, to my HE ranger
ringil is like cubragol to warrior, speedring :)

I've been abusing LoS tactics, but no cloning for me. I still has to
hunt down two uniques before going against sauron and morgy, Azog, Atlas
and Shelob are alive. Azog is no preblem, he can be left to be summoned,
but atlas is coming trough wall, and shelob summons.

- donalde -

Glen Wheeler wrote:

> It's a good strategy...but *should* it be? Should MORGOTH ever
call on
> say, Smeagol, to help him do anything? Should he perhaps have
> SUMMON_HI_UNIQUE instead?
>
> --

He already summons high uniques more likely than lower ones. My last
winner had more than 50 uniques alive, lowest mugash, deepest gothmog.
Gothmog got summoned, Vecna got summoned three times, but no uniques
from the first half of the table were summoned. Of course if all high
uniques are dead he'll summon the lower ones, but then if the Character
is strong enough to take out all uniques, Morgy shouldn't be a problem
anyway.

"Pasi 'donalde' Vartiainen" <donalde@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message
> Nick wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Still, people are
>> always complaining about rangers being overpowered - maybe this evens
>> the score a bit.
>
> Rangers are quite powerfull. I am currently playing high elf ranger, who
> refuses to melee anything, so only spells and shooting. He wasn't wielding
> any melee weapon until dlvl 92, when something dropped ringil. I
> disenchanted ringil to +0 +0 with disenchanter eye (I was only wearing
> ringil when I standed next to disenchanter eye). So, to my HE ranger
> ringil is like cubragol to warrior, speedring :)
>
> I've been abusing LoS tactics, but no cloning for me. I still has to hunt
> down two uniques before going against sauron and morgy, Azog, Atlas and
> Shelob are alive. Azog is no preblem, he can be left to be summoned, but
> atlas is coming trough wall, and shelob summons.

It's a good strategy...but *should* it be? Should MORGOTH ever call on
say, Smeagol, to help him do anything? Should he perhaps have
SUMMON_HI_UNIQUE instead?

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

On Mon, 23 May 2005 17:03:12 +1000, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au>
wrote:

> It's a good strategy...but *should* it be? Should MORGOTH ever call on
>say, Smeagol, to help him do anything? Should he perhaps have
>SUMMON_HI_UNIQUE instead?

Hey, Sauron summoned Smeagol to Mordor (although with somewhat less
than Angband-summoning speed). In any case, I see no reason to make
yet another change to prefer brute-force techniques over finesse.
Leaving "harmless" uniques alive is, and should remain, a rare bit of
long-range subtlety.

In any case, it is thematic, as it rewards your earlier mercy. :)

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

"Jeda" <rgrapost@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Glen Wheeler wrote:
>
>> It's a good strategy...but *should* it be? Should MORGOTH ever
> call on
>> say, Smeagol, to help him do anything? Should he perhaps have
>> SUMMON_HI_UNIQUE instead?
>>
>> --
>
> He already summons high uniques more likely than lower ones. My last
> winner had more than 50 uniques alive, lowest mugash, deepest gothmog.
> Gothmog got summoned, Vecna got summoned three times, but no uniques
> from the first half of the table were summoned. Of course if all high
> uniques are dead he'll summon the lower ones, but then if the Character
> is strong enough to take out all uniques, Morgy shouldn't be a problem
> anyway.

I agree, but my point is that if he can't get a high unique then he should
try a different spell (or at worst it should fizzle).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-