[V] Challenge game

Hi all.

I have been theorizing with NEO about possibility of playing an
successful winning character in game that does not contain any artifacts
OR ego-items. That got me so exited that I chose to actually try it.

So I just started artifactless egoless dwarven priest in vanilla 3.0.5.
I edited ego_item.txt to contain only version stamp and nothing else and
turned on ironman_no_artifacts.

This should cause GV:s to contain lots of dungeon spellbooks, high power
amulets, RoS and Dragon Scale Mails. I think those are enough for winning.

I post here whatever I find worth posting.

Timo Pietilä

"Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> schrieb...

> I edited ego_item.txt to contain only version stamp and nothing else and turned on ironman_no_artifacts.
>
> This should cause GV:s to contain lots of dungeon spellbooks, high power amulets, RoS and Dragon Scale Mails. I think those are
> enough for winning.

From a quick glance at the code, i don't think it will work this way.
If i didn't miss something, creation of excellent object goes like this:

Choose a base item of kind_is_good.
Then, try to turn it into an artifact or ego item.
If this fails, create the normal item.

There seems to be no check whether an object is excellent.

So, if the base item happenes to be a DSM, you get a 'mormal' DSM,
since there are no ego DSM.
And in your game, if the game decides to grant you excellent gloves
(gloves are allowed base items), you'll get plain ones (with some enchantment).

Not sure about this, however. Maybe better check it in debug mode.

Werner.

On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:18:51 +0300, Timo Pietilä
<timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I have been theorizing with NEO about possibility of playing an
>successful winning character in game that does not contain any artifacts
>OR ego-items. That got me so exited that I chose to actually try it.
>
>So I just started artifactless egoless dwarven priest in vanilla 3.0.5.
>I edited ego_item.txt to contain only version stamp and nothing else and
>turned on ironman_no_artifacts.
>
>This should cause GV:s to contain lots of dungeon spellbooks, high power
>amulets, RoS and Dragon Scale Mails. I think those are enough for winning.
>
>I post here whatever I find worth posting.
>
>Timo Pietilä

I once tried this with a High elf ranger. This was in a version
of Vanilla where silver arrows had slay evil. I managed to get past
stat gain and failed casting a resistance spell in view of an AMHD,
somewhere around 2500.

Equipment at time of demise.

Lockaber axe (5 hits)
Long bow
Con ring
Ring of damage
Amulet of weaponmastery
red dragon scale mail
assorted non-ego armour.

I was planning on killing morgoth with silver arrows, compensating
for the lack of speed with the multiple shots from the long bow.

I just sold (and later destroyed) ego items.

--
Wim Benthem

Werner Bär wrote:

> "Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> schrieb...
>
>> I edited ego_item.txt to contain only version stamp and nothing else
>> and turned on ironman_no_artifacts.
>>
>> This should cause GV:s to contain lots of dungeon spellbooks, high
>> power amulets, RoS and Dragon Scale Mails. I think those are enough
>> for winning.
>
> From a quick glance at the code, i don't think it will work this way.
> If i didn't miss something, creation of excellent object goes like this:
>
> Choose a base item of kind_is_good.
> Then, try to turn it into an artifact or ego item.
> If this fails, create the normal item.

> Not sure about this, however. Maybe better check it in debug mode.

Unfortunately for me, that makes sense. So this challenge will be quite
a lot harder than I expected. No extra DSM:s or Dungeon Spellbooks or RoS.

Well, I have to try with whatever I get.

Already noticed one thing: money is hard to get. Ego-items has been main
source for money and that's gone. BM has been selling rods of
perception, several stat-potions and very good non-RoS rings, but I
haven't been able to buy those.

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä wrote:

> Just reached stat-gain. Playing this char this deep is rather hard until
> I have maxed my stats. I have hard time without source for haste and too
> low STR to move without slowed. Trickery amulet only raises my speed to

That didn't last long. Used portal to get out of Adamantium coin (Why I
didn't use teleport other is beyong me...) directly in LoS of YoungMHD
which breathed cold. RIP.

Well, time to try again. This time slightly slower and hoping for
dungeon books.

Timo Pietilä