Class.pnp problem at startup

enzyme

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
So i have been given this laptop by my girlfriends mum as its no use to them. The reason that is , is because it wont even start up. If i start it normally..it will restart constantly. In safe mode it will get to the poing where it says: loaded blablabla/classpnp.sys. i have tried changing the name of it to a .old and .bak file but then i get loaded on a disk.sys file! which then bsod's and restarts. help me please...its very annoying!

RealBeast

Titan
Start up from an installation disk -- if you don't have one, just download a trial of the same version from Digital River (get the same version in SP1) and use your key off the laptop sticker to activate once you do either a repair or full installation.

Digital River: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Repair install step by step: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

enzyme

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
thanks for that i will try that. just out of curiosity i have a windows 7 disc...but it seems to appear inactove and says 'setup is starting' or something. left it for an hour and it was still the same. anything i can do with the other options such as command prompt and the start up recovery thing?

Enzyme, unless you need to recover something from that laptop, start clean installation. Boot with Windows Installation, go to Recovery Console, and using "diskpart", wipe all partitions off that hard disk, then start installation.

If you want to recover something - get the disk out, put it into a USB-to-SATA (or USB-to-IDE) box for $10, connect it to some other computer, and copy off your data. While there, delete all partitions.

RealBeast

Titan
When you do an install use custom and delete all the partitions before starting the install, you don't need to use diskpart to do it, just start custom and delete them all, then install to the unpartitioned space. I would get a new install disk with SP1 if the old one isn't working, and you must use an SP1 to do a repair install if your version on the HDD is updated to SP1 through Windows Updates.