Hi everyone. It's time for me to ask the so useful help from Tomshardware members again (You guy are the best).
I'm about (between now and end january) to buy a laptop. And I just realized that I'm not up to date
when talking about CPU,GPU and Memory on laptop. So I'm kinda lost when trying to buy one. Here's what I'd need :
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
It doesn't matter.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
I'd say 15.6 is ideal for me. A bit lower or higher is not bad. As long as it's not 13. (Those kind of very tiny laptop)
I prefer a laptop with a smaller screen resolution but with better gear than a bigger screen. If someone will be playing games on it I will plug it on a monitor.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable. But if It's a bit more heavy than the usual laptop, I think it's correct.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Doesn't matter. 2-3 hours should be correct.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I'd like to be able to play games yes. With Medium graphics and a bit higher too. I don't have a list of game at the moment, it's to play with my GF. I'd like something that will be able to play current game on medium, and probably expect it to play game in lower settings in 2 years of course.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
It will be connected to my TV from time to time (HDMI is required) to stream movies (HD and non HD) play some games.
I'm a programmer, so it could be everything else. I have a more powerful desktop computer if the need is required. But I don't plan to make something specific so it should be noted.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320gb should be enough.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Nothing specific. I think I will probably buy it from a store (Future shop, Best-buy) because it would be easier for me. But I guess
Newegg, NCIX, Tigerdirect could be used for price evaluation too. Maybe I will change my mind too.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years. I don't expected it to be a bomb in 2-3 years still. As long as I will be able to stream movie on my TV. If gaming need will still be required, I'll buy another one. 3 years I'd be happy.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM is a minimum. I don't need a blu-ray (Got a PS3) or a writer (Already have one). If it come with it, fine
if I can have better computer without a BDRROM I'd be happier.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Likes : Toshiba is my #1. Lenovo. Both have a good reputation of quality laptop. Are the ASUS one good too?
Hates : Acer, A-Open and the likes. I had trouble with few acer yet. They have good computers, but they ages badly (more and more problem).
Bad personal experiences so I'm not interested
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-I don't want a intel integrated card or something like that UNLESS its better than a laptop with a quality card from NVIDIA or ATI (Which I doubt but since I don't know much about laptop GPU, I'll let that to the pros)
- I'm not interested in a AMD processor, I just like the Intel ones too much. I'd really like a i5 processor, i7 would be awsome if price fit, i3 if anything else.
- ATI or NVIDIA GPU is fine with me.
- HDMI is required
- 4 GB ram is a minimum.