Dual booting, lets eliminate 98SE

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
O.K, here's the plan. I am dual booting Win98SE and XP Professional(full not upgrade version) on one of my machines. I really do not see a need for 98SE anymore so I would like to get rid of it all together without having to reinstall XP. When I originally installed XP I installed it as an new install in drive D which is my second partition, 98SE is on my first. Both are fat32 file systems. Now if I created an image(Ghost) of my D drive(XP fat32) and ghosted that to my C drive then formatted D drive to eliminate the original xp installation, will my system boot as if XP was now the default operating system? After all, my bios searches for a boot record in C drive first and now the C drive has XP installed. Keep in mind that at start up I have the choice of booting into either 98 or xp and I'm assuming that boot record is in C drive, correct me if I'm wrong. Has anyone done this? Please let me know if you have, it would save me a lot of time.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
get partition magic, erase the windows 98se partition and just give the space back to the xp partition. the only thing is that windows could try to boot from a partition that does not exist in which case... just reformat the thing and install it again good lord it takes an hour! lazy people...

Dungeons and Dragons Famous Last Words:
"C'mon DM,let's see some REAL monsters!" And then you turn the corner as the Dungeon Master chuckles... DM: "It hits and... Oh hold on... I need more dice"

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
I would do a clean install. That's the best way. Also ensures a stable system.

Another thing I forgot to mention, I've got a 900 Athlon /w 512SDRAM PC133 and a 5400 20GB Seagate HD and from format to the windows desktop takes a little over 40 minutes. Oh, also a 48X CDROM drive.

<font color=blue> You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vagabond on 12/07/02 03:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS