Sign in with
Your question

Backup does not recognize external HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
May 2, 2010 2:08:27 AM

I have just bought a new 2TB WD HDD, and hooked it up using a Blacx dock from Thermaltake. It works fine, as I have moved about 200GB of data to it so far. I wanted to backup my 500GB HDD to it, but using the windows backup I can only backup to my optical drive. I was wondering if there was a problem with using eSATA to backup (which is what im using, havn't tried USB yet) or it was some other issue. Also, I am using truecrypt on both drives, since they both will hold personal data.

If there is any information I can provide just ask, as I am not sure what else to include.

UPDATE: Just connected via USB, no change...

Thanks in advance!
- Kris
a b $ Windows 7
May 2, 2010 6:40:29 AM

dudeami said:
I have just bought a new 2TB WD HDD, and hooked it up using a Blacx dock from Thermaltake. It works fine, as I have moved about 200GB of data to it so far. I wanted to backup my 500GB HDD to it, but using the windows backup I can only backup to my optical drive. I was wondering if there was a problem with using eSATA to backup (which is what im using, havn't tried USB yet) or it was some other issue. Also, I am using truecrypt on both drives, since they both will hold personal data.

If there is any information I can provide just ask, as I am not sure what else to include.

UPDATE: Just connected via USB, no change...

Thanks in advance!
- Kris

[#0005ff]Have a look at http://www.wdc.com to see if your hard disk either has the WD SmartWare software embedded in a partially hidden Partition, or if you can get the download off that site to install it yourself. Have you tried transferring some data which isn't encrypted just in case that's getting in the way by slowing down the process?
m
l
!