Dell - Inverter or screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi guys,

I got a Dell Inspiron 1545 here. Just barely a year old so of course, the warranty is out.

The display is extremely dark. You can faintly see it if you shine a flashlight at the screen. When its hooked up to an external monitor, it displays perfectly on the monitor.

I'm wondering if there is anyway to determine if this is the backlight, screen or the inverter? If its the backlight, I've heard and read lots saying that if the backlight is gone you're better off replacing the whole screen itself because there is a high possibility you can damage the LCD screen...apparently its like brain surgery?

The inverter, however, is not hard to replace. I'm going to order an inverter anyway because they are cheap so I wouldn't be out much. If that doesn't solve the problem I'm just going to replace the whole screen. Is there a way of determining if it is the screen OR the inverter though?? Other than trying a replacement...cause I haven't ordered it yet :p

If you can hold up a flashlight to the screen and still see everything, chances are that it is the backlight. You never know though, so if the new inverter doesn't work, it is the backlight. Take a look at the link below to try and find a new/compatible screen:

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks. I've ordered an inverter first anyway cause they're cheap so.. it would be a cheap fix if it works. If not, I'm not out much and I'll either purchase a backlight or a screen. But I've read a lot that you're better off replacing the whole screen rather than messing with the backlight?

I also saw a youtube video where a guy had a dell and the screen went black or dim and he replaced the inverter and it actually worked.

Yes, I'd recommend just replacing the screen if it comes to it, as the chances of damaging the liquid crystals within the panel itself is quite high. If you can find a screen, chances are it won't cost an arm and a leg. I'd recommend looking on ebay and then ensuring the screen works before buying if you want to try and save some cash or if you are unable to find a new screen.

None the less, I hope the inverter gets the job done for you.

heatherm245

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Hi, I have the same problem, can you tell me if the inverter worked or did you have to buy a new screen?

krikle

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

When the screen goes completely black, 99% of the time it's the back light which means - yes, replace the whole screen. You can replace the back light but it's like brain surgery and you run the risk of ruining the LCD anyway.

Usually when it's the inverter, it's not as dark. Things can be seen on the screen they are just very dim. The inverter is a cheaper and easier repair but more than likely it isn't the inverter.

rodrigomedeiros

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Initially apologize for my bad english.
I have the same problem on my 1545. But today the screen lit up in a specific position. Also began a hiss and a slight burning smell (certainly is a short circuit). It happens every time and until I uploaded to youtube(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhivO_AoRLM). Does anyone could help me figure out if it's the screen or the inverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.