Cursed items question...

Greetings All,

I was just wondering....my warrior had found Mitherial Chain Mail
(28,+0). If it had been cursed ,(say 28,-5), if I read a scroll of
remove curse on it would it revert to 28,+0 and be useable?

I am just wondering for future reference if, for example, I found
Mitherial Partial Plate Armor or some such can it be saved?

Just wondering how that might work...

Thanks in advance!

Paul C. Heisner

Also "normal" curses can be removed by some enchant armor scrolls or
spells or enchant weapon respectivly. Once uncursed the inscription
will show {uncursed}.

How small exactly is this chance beyond +9? I never managed to get a
weapon enchanted more than that.

On Wed, 25 May 2005 02:31:12 -0400, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> I was just wondering....my warrior had found Mitherial Chain Mail
> (28,+0). If it had been cursed ,(say 28,-5), if I read a scroll of
> remove curse on it would it revert to 28,+0 and be useable?
>
> I am just wondering for future reference if, for example, I found
> Mitherial Partial Plate Armor or some such can it be saved?
>
> Just wondering how that might work...

Curses and damage aren't the same thing. Curses prevent the armor from
being removed once it's being worn, but damage will reduce its armor
bonus.

The only connection between the two is that any armor randomly generated
in the dungeon with damage will also have a curse thrown on it. Armor
that you wear that later gets damaged does not automatically get cursed.

The -5 damage can be fixed, though, with Enchant Armor scrolls.

--
Neil Stevens - neil@hakubi.us

'A republic, if you can keep it.' -- Benjamin Franklin

On 2005-05-25 10:38:59, "Mondkalb" <seoman_mondkalb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How small exactly is this chance beyond +9? I never managed to get a
> weapon enchanted more than that.

It would be great to see a chart here, as I have only ever got to +10

Something like:

Enchanting from ----- % Chance
+0 100%
+1 90%

or whatever... if someone has the time that is.

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)

Mondkalb wrote:
> Also "normal" curses can be removed by some enchant armor scrolls or
> spells or enchant weapon respectivly. Once uncursed the inscription
> will show {uncursed}.

To be more exact, any succesful enchant beyond +0 have a (small) chance
to break a curse, even heavy one (permanent curse is permanent and
cannot be removed. Game has only two items with permanent curse).

This is normal method of getting rid of heavy curse from Calris.

Note: Enchants have chance to fail that increases as enchantement gets
bigger and chance is 0 once enchantment reaches +15.

Timo Pietilä

On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:31:12 -0400, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:

>Greetings All,
>
>I was just wondering....my warrior had found Mitherial Chain Mail
>(28,+0). If it had been cursed ,(say 28,-5), if I read a scroll of
>remove curse on it would it revert to 28,+0 and be useable?
>
>I am just wondering for future reference if, for example, I found
>Mitherial Partial Plate Armor or some such can it be saved?
>
>Just wondering how that might work...

Hi Paul,

A curse prevents you from removing the item. If you wear a cursed armor,
you can't take it off anymore. Remove the curse, and you can. But it'll
still have a penalty to it's armor class.

Note that there is another way to remove a curse. Use some scrolls of
enchant armor to decrease the AC penalty. Each time the enchant increase
the armor class modifier to +0 or better, there is a 25% chance that the
curse will be broken as well.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

On 25 May 2005 01:38:59 -0700, Mondkalb wrote:

>How small exactly is this chance beyond +9? I never managed to get a
>weapon enchanted more than that.

Hi Mondkalb,

Current Base Current Base
Bonus Success Bonus Success
------------------- -------------------
+0 or less 100.0% +8 30.0%
+1 99.0% +9 5.0%
+2 95.0% +10 1.0%
+3 90.0% +11 0.8%
+4 80.0% +12 0.5%
+5 70.0% +13 0.3%
+6 60.0% +14 0.1%
+7 50.0% +15 or more 0.0%

If the object being enchanted is an artifact, the chance for success
is cut in half.

Best, Hugo
--

On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:05:12 +0000 (UTC), topazg wrote:

>On 2005-05-25 10:38:59, "Mondkalb" <seoman_mondkalb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> How small exactly is this chance beyond +9? I never managed to get a
>> weapon enchanted more than that.
>>

>It would be great to see a chart here, as I have only ever got to +10

Hi topazg,

I just posted it. It's a straight copy from the object spoiler file
OBJ-LONG.SPO, by the way.

Best, Hugo
--

Hugo Kornelis wrote:

> Current Base Current Base
> Bonus Success Bonus Success
> ------------------- -------------------
> +0 or less 100.0% +8 30.0%
> +1 99.0% +9 5.0%
> +2 95.0% +10 1.0%
> +3 90.0% +11 0.8%
> +4 80.0% +12 0.5%
> +5 70.0% +13 0.3%

That reminds me about one strange happening I once got. I had collected
a lot of Enchant to Dam -scrolls at home in order to enchant heavyXbow
once I find one and then I found ego with over +15 bonus and suddenly I
had them without use.

To get one slot free from home I chose to burn them on my HA weapon
which had +8 starting bonus.

Got it straight to +13 with no failures. That would be...

0.3*0.05*0.01*0.008*0.005 = 0,000000006 chance :)

(and no, that doesn't prove that RNG is faulty, it only proves that
random is random).

Timo Pietilä

On 2005-05-25 11:43:42, Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 May 2005 09:05:12 +0000 (UTC), topazg wrote:
>
> >On 2005-05-25 10:38:59, "Mondkalb" wrote:
> >
> >> How small exactly is this chance beyond +9? I never managed to get a
> >> weapon enchanted more than that.
> >>

> >It would be great to see a chart here, as I have only ever got to +10
>
> Hi topazg,
>
> I just posted it. It's a straight copy from the object spoiler file
> OBJ-LONG.SPO, by the way.
>
> Best, Hugo
> --
> Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
> There is a puff of smoke!
>
> (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

Fan-dooby-tastic, cheers Hugo... Been interested in that for a while - _why_ I
didn't look it up myself I don't know...

--

Timo Pietilä wrote:
> 0.3*0.05*0.01*0.008*0.005 = 0,000000006 chance :)
>
> (and no, that doesn't prove that RNG is faulty, it only proves that
> random is random).

Basically, that it happened just proves that 0.000000006 > 0, which any
mathematician would consider obvious to begin with. :)

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:58:08 +0300, Timo Pietilä wrote:

>Hugo Kornelis wrote:
>
>> Current Base Current Base
>> Bonus Success Bonus Success
>> ------------------- -------------------
>> +0 or less 100.0% +8 30.0%
>> +1 99.0% +9 5.0%
>> +2 95.0% +10 1.0%
>> +3 90.0% +11 0.8%
>> +4 80.0% +12 0.5%
>> +5 70.0% +13 0.3%
>
>That reminds me about one strange happening I once got. I had collected
>a lot of Enchant to Dam -scrolls at home in order to enchant heavyXbow
>once I find one and then I found ego with over +15 bonus and suddenly I
>had them without use.
>
>To get one slot free from home I chose to burn them on my HA weapon
>which had +8 starting bonus.
>
>Got it straight to +13 with no failures. That would be...
>
>0.3*0.05*0.01*0.008*0.005 = 0,000000006 chance :)
>
>(and no, that doesn't prove that RNG is faulty, it only proves that
>random is random).

Hi Timo,

And it proves sometimes gives incredible luck to some people, and
compensates for it by giving extreme bad luck to other people.

(But why oh why am _I_ always other people, while other people keep on
being some people???)

Best, Hugo