Sign in with
Your question

Help me purchase a gaming monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 22, 2012 7:06:41 PM

I just finished putting together a nice computer in the New Build section of the forums, my last purchase to get everything together is a monitor.

I would like something in the 20"-24" range, I am coming from a 20" Sony Flat screen that I used for more than 8 years (it was $400 when I got it!), but it was only 1280x1024 so I'm definitely shooting for the 1920x1080 1080p monitors of today. My new computer will have a Radeon 7850 if thats of any importance.

I am looking to spend anywhere from $100-$150.

Any suggestions are welcome!
June 24, 2012 10:42:09 PM

I found a few options, and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give their opinions? It's 4 different brands that are relatively similar. Anyone have any advice?

LG E2290V-SN 21.5-Inch Premium Super Slim Widescreen LED LCD Monitor
Acer S231HL bid 23-Inch Widescreen Ultra-Slim LED Display - Black
ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor (Black)
ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch (21.5-Inch Vis) Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Monitor

I was looking at LED's because of the sleek flat screen for looks, will there be a big hit on my colors and refresh rates? I'll be playing some FPS's on my machine. Any recommendations?
June 25, 2012 4:43:32 AM

Definitely go with a LED display, they're a lot better then just LCD screens for many reasons.

As for a recommendation, I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with different brands to reliably give you an answer. But, I have had some problems in the past with Acer's products, could just be me, but I'd personally never buy another one of there products unless it was a smoking deal.

I noticed that some of the monitors you linked are slightly above your price range, if you save up another hundred bucks you could purchase a really nice e-IPS panel. IPS panels provide better color accuracy, better viewing angles, and they just look a lot better. Ex. http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2312HM-IPS-Monit...

If you don't want to do that, I'd just google up some reviews of these monitors and find out if there's anything major like back light bleeding, or known for dead pixels.

I hope you found this helpful, also that LG monitor look sexy, the case at least.
Related resources
June 25, 2012 11:15:44 AM

I read about the IPS monitors but it seems a lot of them are pushing the 8-20ms. Is that going to severely affect my gaming experience? I read it might "blur" the screen a bit, which isn't a problem, I'm worried that the 8-20ms would mean that I have input lag that causes me too have trouble doing things like aiming in First Person Shooters because people aren't exactly where they seem on my screen. Any suggestions?

I saw a thread where a guy mentioned this: AOC e-IPS 23" Monitor, but the one review says that the monitor was in the 15-20ms input lag range, that just worries me. However, I may just not understand what that actually means in terms of display for gaming.

One of the guys in that thread also recommended this LG: LG IPS226v-PN
And this Viewsonic:Viewsonic VX2336S

I don't mind going into the $150-$200 range if my monitor will be that much nicer! Any suggestions on these IPS? Anyone had luck using them?
June 26, 2012 4:36:55 AM

I think that was actually me who posted those. :D 

As an owner of that LG monitor, I can say that the response time on it does not hinder you in anyway. I can't really tell the difference in response times between the samsung tn panel I have and this LG e-IPS monitor that sits right next to it.

I'm guessing, key word is guessing, that the majority of other e-IPS panels are about the same in that aspect.

As to the other monitors, you'd have to look up some reviews on them. They weren't as much recommendations, as they were monitors in the same price range of the AOC. I know that the dell e-IPS displays are usually held in high regard, but I certainly don't regret purchasing the LG one. So, definitively look up some more reviews on those monitors.

Edit: Here's another monitor that I saw in another thread. Haven't read much about it, but Asus tends to make some good quality products. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S0XYKK/ref=ox_sc_a...
June 26, 2012 1:41:27 PM

manpizza said:
I think that was actually me who posted those. :D 

As an owner of that LG monitor, I can say that the response time on it does not hinder you in anyway. I can't really tell the difference in response times between the samsung tn panel I have and this LG e-IPS monitor that sits right next to it.

I'm guessing, key word is guessing, that the majority of other e-IPS panels are about the same in that aspect.

As to the other monitors, you'd have to look up some reviews on them. They weren't as much recommendations, as they were monitors in the same price range of the AOC. I know that the dell e-IPS displays are usually held in high regard, but I certainly don't regret purchasing the LG one. So, definitively look up some more reviews on those monitors.

Edit: Here's another monitor that I saw in another thread. Haven't read much about it, but Asus tends to make some good quality products. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S0XYKK/ref=ox_sc_a...

Haha, you were the one from that thread. So you have no problems with that LG display? Some of the reviews mention a "Backlight Bleed" that made me shy away from it. Do you have any problems with that? Or are those people just extra sensitive about the quality of their monitor? I mean, I'm coming from a 2002 20" flatscreen with a max res of 1280x1024.
June 27, 2012 2:29:51 AM

There is black light bleed. I only really notice it when the something on the screen is completely black. Bottom right is where most of it takes place. But, to me it's unnoticeable unless the screen is completely black. Could just be because my old monitor had it much worse then my LG, so it doesn't bother me.

Only other problem, some would barely consider it a problem, is that the default settings were off, as most tvs are in my opinion. About 30 mins of adjusting the brightness and contrast fixed that problem though.

Just took this picture quickly, with crappy ipad camera.
!