http://runegold.org/sangband/

Source:
http://runegold.org/sangband/files/sang-src.zip

IBM (plain, full screen)
http://runegold.org/sangband/files/sang-ibm.zip

Windows (multiple windows, sound)
http://runegold.org/sangband/files/sang-win.zip

Basic changes:
- game is easier, especially for magic-users.
- burglary Oath, some related enhancements (some still in beta)
- heavy tweaking of character magic and related code, based on
playtesting.
- bugfixes and general polishing, most sangband-specific, but others
applicable to some or even most other variants.

Comments and suggestions are always appreciated, especially as the game
is fine-tuned for Version 1.0.0.

A special thanks to Scott Yost and also to Eddie Grove!

Leon Marrick wrote:
> Basic changes:
> - game is easier, especially for magic-users.
> - burglary Oath, some related enhancements (some still in beta)
> - heavy tweaking of character magic and related code, based on
> playtesting.
> - bugfixes and general polishing, most sangband-specific, but others
> applicable to some or even most other variants.

Yes, but are stormcrows toned down and weapons made more useful in the
early game? Those are the questions everyone's asking I'm sure ... :)

Leon Marrick wrote:

> Comments and suggestions are always appreciated, especially as the game
> is fine-tuned for Version 1.0.0.

Is anyone working on a Mac OS X Carbon build?

I have a build that's mostly working, using copies of main-crb.c and
Makefile.osx from V that have been beaten into submission, and Pelpel's
"Mach-O Extras" package.

It runs well enough, but there are a few cosmetic issues. So, before I
go any further I need to ask - has anyone already invented that wheel?

sherm--

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Leon Marrick wrote:
>
> > Comments and suggestions are always appreciated, especially as the game
> > is fine-tuned for Version 1.0.0.
>
> Is anyone working on a Mac OS X Carbon build?
>
> I have a build that's mostly working, using copies of main-crb.c and
> Makefile.osx from V that have been beaten into submission, and Pelpel's
> "Mach-O Extras" package.
>
> It runs well enough, but there are a few cosmetic issues. So, before I
> go any further I need to ask - has anyone already invented that wheel?
>
> sherm--

Ouch! Here I was all ready to try my first sangband. I was just about
to try the OSX build. Guess I'm out of luck for now. The Mac #ifdefs
are something I don't want to deal with if they've been dealt with
once.

Sherm, it's still beta; cosmetic issues are allowed...

Will OSX x11 build work, or are the unix internal commands too much
changed for this to work without code changes, not just makefile
changes? I don't see a BSD/X11 makefile, so I have rather poor
expectations.

On 2005-05-31 10:53:32, topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2005-05-31 10:27:54, Twisted One wrote:
>
> > Leon Marrick wrote:
> > > Basic changes:
> > > - game is easier, especially for magic-users.
> > > - burglary Oath, some related enhancements (some still in beta)
> > > - heavy tweaking of character magic and related code, based on
> > > playtesting.
> > > - bugfixes and general polishing, most sangband-specific, but others
> > > applicable to some or even most other variants.
> >
> > Yes, but are stormcrows toned down and weapons made more useful in the
> > early game? Those are the questions everyone's asking I'm sure ... :)
> >

> [Long long list of changes]
>
> Betas 16 through 18

> - Damage done by Slingers and Sharpshooters seriously toned down, and that by
> various thieves and warriors reduced somewhat.

Leon, why don't you do something that I'm seriously considering for Unangband,
and have Slingers, Sharpshooters and various other archer monsters carry a
stock of ammunition in their inventory, that they use up as they fire. This
way, you have a controllable upper limit for these monsters of how many shots
they have, plus make archer and thrower player characters have access to basic
ammuntion types by killing particular monsters.

Plus, its cool to have the Manticore carry a whole lot of iron spikes...

For bonus points, have the projection types for these monsters 'drop' ammunition
over the place (except for a breakage chance), that they can then collect up to
fire again.

Regards,

Andrew

--
Unangband L:C E+ T- R- P+ D-- G+(+) F:Sangband RL-- RLA-- W:F Q++
AI+(++) GFX++ SFX++ RN+++(+) PO++ Hp+++ Re--(+) S++ C- O* KG--

Twisted One wrote:
> Leon Marrick wrote:
>
>> Basic changes:
>> - game is easier, especially for magic-users.
>> - burglary Oath, some related enhancements (some still in beta)
>> - heavy tweaking of character magic and related code, based on
>> playtesting.
>> - bugfixes and general polishing, most sangband-specific, but others
>> applicable to some or even most other variants.
>

> Yes, but are stormcrows toned down and weapons made more useful in the
> early game? Those are the questions everyone's asking I'm sure ... :)

If I understand changes.txt properly, both issues have been dealt with.
There is about 500 lines describing changes made after beta15 so Leon
has worked hard.

What I would like to see is a warning for missing X11 fonts.
Or a note in compile.txt on how to play with fonts.

I have to edit h-config.h before compiling to get working small fonts.
#define DEFAULT_X11_SFONT_0 "5x8" /* or something like that */
I kwno nothinga about X programming but this works on my system.

Without this change the game crashes at startup without a warning. The
results I get this way (under a Fedora 3) are a bit ugly, but the game
runs again. (Under Fedora 1 the small font was prettier. Now I don't
have the correct font and this is IMO easier than font hunting.)

topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote:
>[Long long list of changes]
>Betas 16 through 18

Two things that I didn't seem to notice in the list of changes:
- Casting the identify spell when you have nothing to identify or
canceling it still uses mana and a turn; I've sometimes suffered from
this when pressing the wrong macro key.
- Hellhounds seem pretty tough to me.

I'll also add my vote on fixing forging/imbuing with essences. I think
the random abilities gained from just forging should be toned down quite
a bit and then the abilities from imbuing added on top of the random
abilities.

Otto Martin - well, there's tons of little things, but I won't bother...
--
<XnD> Personally its not God I dislike, its his fan club I cant stand
http://bash.org/?277337

pete mack wrote:

> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
>>I have a build that's mostly working, using copies of main-crb.c and
>>Makefile.osx from V that have been beaten into submission, and Pelpel's
>>"Mach-O Extras" package.
>>
> Ouch! Here I was all ready to try my first sangband. I was just about
> to try the OSX build. Guess I'm out of luck for now. The Mac #ifdefs
> are something I don't want to deal with if they've been dealt with
> once.
>
> Sherm, it's still beta; cosmetic issues are allowed...

Okay, then - I've uploaded it to my site:

<http://www.dot-app.org/Sangband-beta18-osx.dmg>

The "cosmetic issues" I mentioned are two:

1. Like every variant I've tried under Tiger, the windows don't come up
at the correct size. Choosing the font size in the menu corrects that.

2. After the splash screen, the window stays the same size. *But*, the
game acts like the window has shrunk down to the standard smaller size,
which leaves the bottom half of the window empty.

Other than that, it appears to work OK. Keep in mind though, that I've
never played Sang until now - I had to build it first. :-\

> Will OSX x11 build work, or are the unix internal commands too much
> changed for this to work without code changes, not just makefile
> changes?

Works out of the box with the generic makefile. Just do:

(unzip)
cd sang-src/src
cp/system/mai?-x11* main-gcu.c ./
make -f system/Makefile.std

Fonts are funky on the splash screen, but clear up when you enter the
game. Works in Terminal.app too, if you ask it to or if it fails to
connect to X11.

sherm--

Thanks. Your port is working, mostly. The X11 isn't. I can't get it
to recognise the Terminal.app as a curses-enabled terminal, and
apparently I need to reinstall X windows. (Can't start X anymore.)

Had a couple crashes on screen resizing, that don't happen in NPP or V.
Rob Ruehlmann has made a lot of relatively recent improvements to V
OSX. But thanks much for this!

I bit the dust at 150', to 3 critters waiting at a hallway junction.
Looks like 4gai similar to NPP.... And the monsters are annoying when
they run away and don't come back. Takes forever to do away with
maggot's dogs.

Guess I need to learn how to allocate skills. I tried throwing &
swordmastery first with a very light weapon. (Like standard V play.)
It started out great, then got very hard to accumulate skill. Perhaps
I need to try something else...

On Tue, 31 May 2005 01:36:40 -0400, "Leon Marrick" <invaid@runegold.org>
wrote:

>Comments and suggestions are always appreciated, especially as the game
>is fine-tuned for Version 1.0.0.
>
>A special thanks to Scott Yost and also to Eddie Grove!

I got a quest for 42 novice priests. Isn't that a bit much?

--
Wim Benthem

"Andrew Doull" <andrewdoull@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-05-31 10:53:32, topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote:

>> > Yes, but are stormcrows toned down and weapons made more useful in the
>> > early game? Those are the questions everyone's asking I'm sure ... :)
>> >

>> [Long long list of changes]
>>
>> Betas 16 through 18
>
>> - Damage done by Slingers and Sharpshooters seriously toned down, and
>> that by
>> various thieves and warriors reduced somewhat.
>
> Leon, why don't you do something that I'm seriously considering for
> Unangband,
> and have Slingers, Sharpshooters and various other archer monsters carry a
> stock of ammunition in their inventory, that they use up as they fire.
> This
> way, you have a controllable upper limit for these monsters of how many
> shots
> they have, plus make archer and thrower player characters have access to
> basic
> ammuntion types by killing particular monsters.
>
> Plus, its cool to have the Manticore carry a whole lot of iron spikes...
>
> For bonus points, have the projection types for these monsters 'drop'
> ammunition
> over the place (except for a breakage chance), that they can then collect
> up to
> fire again.

Hey, that would be cool. How is Unangband going? I never managed to try
it out, but definitely would if this was implemented. Great idea :).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

On 2005-05-31 12:59:41, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:

> Hey, that would be cool. How is Unangband going? I never managed to try
> it out, but definitely would if this was implemented. Great idea :).

I'm just pottering around at the moment. I'd like to adopt 4gai completely
(movement has been in for a while) but Unangband's terrain code allows grids to
allow los but not projection and vice versa. Given that Leon has said that the
projection code in Sangband was possibly the hardest coding he has done; its a
little discouraging.

Andrew

--

"Andrew Doull" <andrewdoull@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d7hnsk$qp5$1@news.vol.cz...
> On 2005-05-31 12:59:41, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > Hey, that would be cool. How is Unangband going? I never managed to try
> > it out, but definitely would if this was implemented. Great idea :).
> >

> I'm just pottering around at the moment. I'd like to adopt 4gai completely
> (movement has been in for a while) but Unangband's terrain code allows grids to
> allow los but not projection and vice versa. Given that Leon has said that the
> projection code in Sangband was possibly the hardest coding he has done; its a
> little discouraging.

I will be tackling this problem in NPP very soon. I am adopting the UnAngband terrain code, and I have to figure this out. I have no idea when NPP 050 will be out, but your solution will be in there.

--
-Jeff

replace the ".spam"s with comcast.net to reply

Author of NPPAngband. Check it out at:
http://home.comcast.net/~nppangband/

pete mack wrote:

> Thanks. Your port is working, mostly.

Don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a port. I didn't create a new
main-xxx or makefile, just hacked in the relevant bits from V, and
Pelpel's "extras" package.

I *have* been thinking about doing a Cocoa port though. I'm thinking
those cosmetic problems (font & window sizing, primarily) will need some
non-trivial Carbon-fu to fix. I don't know much about Carbon, and I'm
not sure I want to. :)

> The X11 isn't. I can't get it
> to recognise the Terminal.app as a curses-enabled terminal, and
> apparently I need to reinstall X windows. (Can't start X anymore.)

Worked for me, right out of the box with the .std makefile. If I start
up X, it works with that. (Well, it turns the splash screen into
gibberish, but works fine after that.) If X isn't running, it times out
trying to connect, and then starts up and runs fine in text mode.

This is on Tiger, built with GCC 4.0. (I built the Carbon binary with
GCC 3.3, for compatibility with older OSX versions.)

> Had a couple crashes on screen resizing, that don't happen in NPP or V.
> Rob Ruehlmann has made a lot of relatively recent improvements to V
> OSX. But thanks much for this!

The main-crb.c I used is the latest bleeding-edge version from Vanilla
CVS. I didn't try to update all of the z-* stuff along with it though -
there could be an "impedance mismatch" there that might account for the
crashes.

sherm--

topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote in news:d7h8mc$e5i$1@news.vol.cz:

> - Several pass_wall monsters, like earth elementals, are now not
> considered immaterial by traps or martial arts.

Why would an earth elemental be entirely immaterial to traps and
martial arts?

Earth elementals presumably pass through walls because they are
passing through "earth." I wouldn't expect an earth elemental to
be able to pass through a giant block of ice as it wouldn't be
outright immaterial.

Besides, isn't there the whole legend of a guy beating an
earth powered warrior specifically by using unarmed wrestling to
lift it off the ground?

As for traps, well, we don't exactly know what traps are made
of or what triggers them so it is hard to argue either for or
against that one.

On Tue, 31 May 2005 23:32:44 GMT, Billy Bissette
<baines@coastalnet.com> wrote:

>topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote in news:d7h8mc$e5i$1@news.vol.cz:
>
>> - Several pass_wall monsters, like earth elementals, are now not
>> considered immaterial by traps or martial arts.
>
> Why would an earth elemental be entirely immaterial to traps and
>martial arts?

They shouldn't be. That is presumably why it was changed.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

Billy Bissette <baines@coastalnet.com> wrote in

> topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote in news:d7h8mc$e5i$1@news.vol.cz:
>
>> - Several pass_wall monsters, like earth elementals, are now not
>> considered immaterial by traps or martial arts.
>
> Why would an earth elemental be entirely immaterial to traps and
> martial arts?

Never mind, misread that one. And removed questions/comments on
others, making my post fairly pointless.

> > On 2005-05-31 12:59:41, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey, that would be cool. How is Unangband going? I never managed
to try
> > > it out, but definitely would if this was implemented. Great idea
:).

> > I'm just pottering around at the moment. I'd like to adopt 4gai
completely
> > (movement has been in for a while) but Unangband's terrain code
allows grids to
> > allow los but not projection and vice versa. Given that Leon has
said that the
> > projection code in Sangband was possibly the hardest coding he has
done; its a
> > little discouraging.
>
> I will be tackling this problem in NPP very soon. I am adopting
> the UnAngband terrain code, and I have to figure this out. I have
> no idea when NPP 050 will be out, but your solution will be in there.

(reply to both) I am certainly happy to help bat about ideas.
Unangband terrain is way cool.

Dealing with terrain that blocks LOS or projection, or both, or
none, is certainly doable. For the basic algorthms of field of sight,
line of fire, and projection, all you probably really need to do is
use some new CAVE_INFO flags. I'd personally start with my current
"project()" code, test, and implement the new flags as necesary. It
might take a while to nail down the last few buglets - the devil is
in the details - but you should have a playable system, one that the
players can help test, in fairly short order.

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Juho Schultz wrote:
> magnate wrote:

> > You'll have to tone down the nastiness of Disease, Sickness and
> > Envenomation then, because at the moment they tend to make people
> > willing to ignore mushrooms altogether, especially if they're not
> > playing a druid or something with loads of hp.

> I think ignoring mushrooms is a mistake.
>
> The bad mushrooms are not that bad if you have good mushrooms...
> Curing helps against Disease and Cure Poison helps against Envenomation.
>
> Note that the changes also include:
> "Many nasty mushrooms have special effects when thrown..." so you don't
> have to eat the deadly ones unless you really want the experience.

Does that mean they can be ID'd by throwing? If that's the case then
all is well, but I'll be surprised! Off to try it out ...

CC

"Leon Marrick" <invaid@runegold.org> wrote in message
> Website:
> http://runegold.org/sangband/
> [...]

Enjoying the new version, but for some strange reason the base delay
factor isn't working as it should. Loaded up the IBM version, put the base
delay on 30 (max), with a gnomnish sorceror. Firing magic missiles yet the
animation isn't seen...I've saved and reloaded, making sure the preferences
are OK but to no avail.

Help?

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "Leon Marrick" <invaid@runegold.org> wrote in message
>> Website:
>> http://runegold.org/sangband/
>> [...]
>
> Enjoying the new version, but for some strange reason the base delay
> factor isn't working as it should. Loaded up the IBM version, put the
> base
> delay on 30 (max), with a gnomnish sorceror. Firing magic missiles yet
> the animation isn't seen...I've saved and reloaded, making sure the
> preferences are OK but to no avail.

That problem is caused by a bug in the libc library of the DJGPP compiler
that was used to build the DOS version. The delay() function from the
library doesn't work perfectly with the DOS emulation code in Windows 2000
and XP. The issue is fixed in the CVS repository of the DJGPP project, but
there hasn't been a new DJGPP release yet containing this fix.

The problem can be fixed by patching the DJGPP libc library and recompiling
the Sangband DOS version.

Quick libc update instructions for developers:
- get the latest delay.c file from
http://www.delorie.com/bin/cvsweb.cgi/djgpp/src/libc/dos/dos/delay.c
- compile the new delay.c file in DJGPP with "gcc -c -O2 delay.c"
- update the DJGPP libc with "ar rvs c:/djgpp/lib/libc.a delay.o" (change
the path if DJGPP is not installed in "c:/djgpp/")
- then rebuild the *band DOS version

Leon - can you please try that?

--
Robert Ruehlmann ( rr9@thangorodrim.net )
"Thangorodrim - The Angband Page" : http://www.thangorodrim.net/
Visit the #angband chat channel at irc.worldirc.org

"Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote in message

> "Leon Marrick" <invaid@runegold.org> wrote in message
>> Website:
>> http://runegold.org/sangband/
>> [...]
>
> Enjoying the new version, but for some strange reason the base delay
> factor isn't working as it should. Loaded up the IBM version, put the
> base delay on 30 (max), with a gnomnish sorceror. Firing magic missiles
> yet the animation isn't seen...I've saved and reloaded, making sure the
> preferences are OK but to no avail.
>
> Help?

Out of curiosity I d/l-ed the windows version. The base delay works fine
there.
If this is a problem on everyone's machine (please if you have the time
can you test?) then I'll try to debug it.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Glen Wheeler wrote:

> Out of curiosity I d/l-ed the windows version. The base delay works fine
> there.
> If this is a problem on everyone's machine (please if you have the time
> can you test?) then I'll try to debug it.

Working OK here - OSX/Carbon.

sherm--

peter

Nice so far...but I got few strange messages once every so often.
i.e.
(Monster name) at [x,y] got too many moves [moves x][y/z]

But I'm simply playing, is it something from debugging mode ?

Cheers,
Peter.