Game turns v player turns

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm confused about something. "Game turns" are when you get +X energy,
where X is 10 if you're at +0 speed. "Player turns" are when you get to
move, ie. as soon as your energy gets to 100 or greater. So one player
turn is ten game turns, until you get encumbered, hasted, etc.

Now, food and light work on player turns, right? Totally full is 15000
food, which is 15000 moves from starving to death. Similarly a full
lantern is 15000 turns of light.

I can understand that you use more food when you're hasted - same logic
as using more food when you have regen.

But do we really play in a world where your light source burns faster
if you're hasted?? I guess it would be too much hassle to have light
last in game turns ...

This has only occurred to me because I've run out of light a lot during
the comp, and I was idly thinking about whether speed items would help
(not that I've found any). Ho hum.

Why is it that my best comp char is always the one I'm playing at the
end of the month? It was the same with Smeg, Singlio and Kelumen. My
current Oober (the 9th) is at 1600' - not in any danger of winning, but
450' deeper than my previous best ....

CC

twilight

> I'm confused about something. "Game turns" are when you get +X energy,
> where X is 10 if you're at +0 speed. "Player turns" are when you get to
> move, ie. as soon as your energy gets to 100 or greater. So one player
> turn is ten game turns, until you get encumbered, hasted, etc.
>
> Now, food and light work on player turns, right? Totally full is 15000
> food, which is 15000 moves from starving to death. Similarly a full
> lantern is 15000 turns of light.

[snip]

No fuel does not work on player turns - it's consumed at the same (absolute)
rate whatever speed you're at . Food consumption goes up with greater speed
- if I understand the code corectly if you're not regenerating or have slow
digestion, this exactly compensate for the extra moves you get, so food is
consumed at the same *relative* speed - whatever your characters speed.
Reg and Slow Digestion mess up this thumb of rule though.

Food consumption is checked every 100 internal game turns.
Food consumption = 2*(Energy player gets at his speed) ... 10 at normal
then add 30 for regeneration and decrease by 10 for slow digestion.

Observe that this means that food consumption is 2 per player turn at the
start
of a game, but this (x2) is considered in the description of consumables.

Many things happen every 10 gameturns(all temporary effects counters
decrease
by one for instance). This has nothing to do with the player turn which just
happens
to be the same "tempo" at normal speed. This includes decreasing fuel by
one.

When a player has greater speed - lights run out slower realtively speaking
since you
get to move more during the internal game turns.
--
Twilight (Tomas Dedorson)
"it's better to burn out than to fade away!"