(BSOD) driver irql not less or equal 0x000000D1

matthatt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
First, sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this but it seemed most appropriate. Recently I've been getting several bsods that I believe are due to a faulty graphics card driver. For some reason, even when I fully delete all driver files manually and using driver sweeper, files for my graphics card do not install fully. I have a nvidia gtx 465 graphics card. When I install the update for my drivers the only thing that installs is the graphics card driver. Physx and the other components in the update do not install and say that they fail. My computer seems to only bsod ( and not just D1 driver irql bsod, its serveral different ones) when I play games such as World of Warcraft or Starcraft II. Not sure where I can upload my minidump file either. Any help?

matt a lot of times video dumps or a video card dropping to the desktop is weak power supply or heat issue. open your case make sure you kill the dust bunnies. check that the gpu fans is moving and use msi afterburner..use the fan tab..turn the fan to max speed and see if you hear the fan spin up to max speed. if it does..set a fan profile to make the fan come on 100 precent. the 200/400 chipset run hot..
on your ps post the max and spec. look to see what the 12v rail is rated in watts and amps. you need to find the max wattage of your gpu under load and the cpu max wattage. take the wattage and dev by 12 for the amps. make sure your not pulling more watts or amps per 12v rail. on any system you can also have a bad stick of ram that cause issues. i would make a memtest boot disk and run it overnight to rule out bad ram.

matthatt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks, I'll do this. I recently just got another bsod, 0x0000001E. Could that be a faulty hard drive, or a corrupt file? I have a 500gb western digital blue caviar. I guess you get what you pay for :/.

As for the power supply its a 600w rosewill power supply performance series. It features:

550w/600w ATX12V v.2.01 Dual 12v Rail 650w ATX 12V v2.3 Four 12V Rails

550W/600W fan speed control switch high auto low 650W auto fan speed control.

Going to configure the power supply now and check that out. Thanks again for the support

550w/600w ATX12V v.2.01 Dual 12v Rail may be the issue right there. on most new gaming power supply they switched from two rails to one. the issue is that with two rails the max amp is 1/2. on each rail. (18 amps) most time. the rail with a large video card and cpu sometime is close to that 18amps and can cause system to bsod.
http://www.rosewill.com/products/390/ProductDetail_Overview.htm
19amps
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1356/1/
200w is 17amps so the card itself is pulling almost the max output of that power supply one 12v leg.

matthatt

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Just got the same bsod D1 driver irql not less or equal yada yada while playing Anno 2070 for maybe 30 minutes. So you think I'll need to replace my power supply? That's the second time today I've gotten the D1 error with the driver irql. I want to avoid taking my power supply out and opening it up, I've heard stories of people getting electrocuted even when the supply isn't hooked up to a power source. It might just be time for a new rig..