Help! Windows boots then freezes.

chotai

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Ok I've had my computer for a few years now and updated to 7 the day it came out but recently my computer has been acting very weird. My computer boots up fine and works perfectly for a few minutes but then everything just freezes up and all I can do is move my mouse.

(running 7 Ultimate 64 bit)

What could be wrong Please answer promptly

*Will get full comp specs up in the morning*

chotai

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Ok, I cleaned out all of the dust and added another fan but It still shut off in about the same time. I did check the BIOS temp readings though and it gave me:

78F Sys Temp
123F CPU Temp

I didn't look at the Celcius readings but are those temperatures hot?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
One thing to check, on my rig, it's got ab option for auto fan control to where it can adjust fan speed according to load. If you've got that option in the bios, turn it off in order to make the cpu fan run at 100% speed all the time. Hopefully if that option is present it will help.

Also, do you have a top mounted power supply? If so, one thing I've seen is that if you don't have a good fan mounted under your power supply to pull a stream of cool air under it, the power supply gets too hot and shuts off. Happened to me actually. If you can, mount a 80 or 120 mm fan under the psu to pull air under the power supply and out of the case.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
One other thing, if you try this and it's not heat related, go to computer-->right click c: drive-->properties-->tools

Run a check disk to make sure nothing has corrupted on the drive. I know a customer's machine I worked on started doing something similar on vista, where Windows explorer would just keep locking up.

chotai

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

I go have a top mounted power supply but it has a built in 120mm fan on the bottom blowing air out. I don't know if this is sufficent though.

As ohiou said... check to see if you have another fan mounted directly underneath the power supply blowing air directly out of the case. A 120mm fan in the power supply to remove all of the heat from the case is definitely not enough, and can very easily make the power supply overheat.

chotai

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Well, I did the whole system check ohiou_grad_06 told me to do and afterwards my system was working fine, so I guess it wasn't a heat problem after all. I did install a few extra fans though just for good measure.

So thank you both, your advice helped loads.