A few questions to clarify and for more info...

Greetings All,

Took on Mim, Betrayer of Turin on dlvl 32, showed him a good time,
then killed him and came up with these:

Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20]
Scimitar of Haradekket (2d5) (+9,+11) (+2)

oh, yes, and also found: Morningstar of Westernesse (2d6) (+12,+10)
(+2)

Now, the shield id says it provides resistance to fire, cold,
lightning, acid, light and dark....by "light and dark" dose this mean
that I can't be blinded in general or just by certain monsters (say
hounds)?

Next question: on the swords, the throat-clearing-one "H" says it
increases my DEX and Attack speed by 2. The "W" one increases my STR,
DEX and CON by 2. Would it be better to have better STR and more HP
or better attack speed (have 5 blows/turn now)?

Thanks for the help, if you need more info on the char, let me know!
;>

Paul C. Heisner

I forgot to mention that both weapons let you see invisible things,
which is very useful too.

Weapons of Westernesse also grant Free Action, if you don't have it
from other sources, choose this one.
WoW slays orcs, trolls and giants, while Haradekket slays animals,
undead, and all evil creatures, which give you a wider range of slays,
since a lot of creatures are evil. Together with the attacks speed,
this might be the better choice.

On 2005-06-04 17:20:07, Paul & Victoria Heisner <pheisner@shoreham.net> wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> Took on Mim, Betrayer of Turin on dlvl 32, showed him a good time,
> then killed him and came up with that:
> Scimitar of Haradekket (2d5) (+9,+11) (+2)

Are you a warrior? If you are you're superlucky... Haradekket is one of the very
best weapons in this game for a warrior in my opinion, and the one I've always
been looking for at this stage of game. And I do know a lot about warriors,
having got many of them to the very end (and loads more who didn't make it to
the end, to be honest, but these were the ones who didn't get Haradekket).
Anyway probably the weapon you will be happy with in a long run.

Ojomax

- Have a weapon hand quicker than your feet. 8 blows is usually enough.

"Paul & Victoria Heisner" <pheisner@shoreham.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Greetings All,
>
> Took on Mim, Betrayer of Turin on dlvl 32, showed him a good time,
> then killed him and came up with these:
>
> Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20]
> Scimitar of Haradekket (2d5) (+9,+11) (+2)
>
> oh, yes, and also found: Morningstar of Westernesse (2d6) (+12,+10)
> (+2)
>
> Now, the shield id says it provides resistance to fire, cold,
> lightning, acid, light and dark....by "light and dark" dose this mean
> that I can't be blinded in general or just by certain monsters (say
> hounds)?

There are three ways to get blinded: light, darkness, and spells.
The shield protects you from the first two. The third one is the least
common one, so you'll rarely get blinded with that
shield

> Next question: on the swords, the throat-clearing-one "H" says it
> increases my DEX and Attack speed by 2. The "W" one increases my STR,
> DEX and CON by 2. Would it be better to have better STR and more HP
> or better attack speed (have 5 blows/turn now)?

This depends on the amount of hp you would get with W compared to the amount
of extra damage you get with H.
Calculate the damage for both weapons. My guess is that the H damage
increase will be the better choice

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> Took on Mim, Betrayer of Turin on dlvl 32, showed him a good time,
> then killed him and came up with these:
>
> Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20]
> Scimitar of Haradekket (2d5) (+9,+11) (+2)
>
> oh, yes, and also found: Morningstar of Westernesse (2d6) (+12,+10)
> (+2)
>
> Now, the shield id says it provides resistance to fire, cold,
> lightning, acid, light and dark....by "light and dark" dose this mean
> that I can't be blinded in general or just by certain monsters (say
> hounds)?

Some monsters hit to blind and can cast spells that blind. Against those
this does not give any protection, but most cases rDark + rLight is enough.

> Next question: on the swords, the throat-clearing-one "H" says it
> increases my DEX and Attack speed by 2. The "W" one increases my STR,
> DEX and CON by 2. Would it be better to have better STR and more HP
> or better attack speed (have 5 blows/turn now)?

High HP increases your surviving chances. If you can reach 18/200 CON
without Westernesse use Haradekket (IIRC Haradekket does _not_ grant
Free Actions so be sure you have that elsewhere too).

Haradekket is one of the best melee-weapons into game. Use it when you
have essentials from somewhere else (FA, high CON).

Timo Pietilä

Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> writes:

> Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>> Took on Mim, Betrayer of Turin on dlvl 32, showed him a good time,
>> then killed him and came up with these:
>> Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20]
>> Scimitar of Haradekket (2d5) (+9,+11) (+2)
>> oh, yes, and also found: Morningstar of Westernesse (2d6) (+12,+10)
>> (+2)
>> Now, the shield id says it provides resistance to fire, cold,
>> lightning, acid, light and dark....by "light and dark" dose this mean
>> that I can't be blinded in general or just by certain monsters (say
>> hounds)?
>
> Some monsters hit to blind and can cast spells that blind. Against
> those this does not give any protection, but most cases rDark + rLight
> is enough.
>
>> Next question: on the swords, the throat-clearing-one "H" says it
>> increases my DEX and Attack speed by 2. The "W" one increases my STR,
>> DEX and CON by 2. Would it be better to have better STR and more HP
>> or better attack speed (have 5 blows/turn now)?
>
> High HP increases your surviving chances. If you can reach 18/200 CON
> without Westernesse use Haradekket (IIRC Haradekket does _not_ grant
> Free Actions so be sure you have that elsewhere too).

I disagree. Even without 18/200 CON, it is better to use H.

I would say, figure out the change in hitpoints, IIRC it was 6%.
Calculate the change in damage dealt. If the damage increases
relatively [in percentage terms] by more than double the hitpoint
change, IMO it is clear. As Haradekket should do more than 40% more
damage than the Morningstar, this is a no-brainer. I'd take a 20%
reduction in hitpoints to increase damage by 40%.

There are particular breakpoints for hitpoints, but I think Heisner
is diving slowly enough they should not be that important.

Eddie

Eddie Grove wrote:
> Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> writes:

>>High HP increases your surviving chances. If you can reach 18/200 CON
>>without Westernesse use Haradekket (IIRC Haradekket does _not_ grant
>>Free Actions so be sure you have that elsewhere too).
>
> I disagree. Even without 18/200 CON, it is better to use H.
>
> I would say, figure out the change in hitpoints, IIRC it was 6%.

He has around 500 HP with Westernesse. That is instant-kill range
(shards, sound, chaos, nether can all kill with single hit). He needs
more HP. *but* he has one ring slot to use with RoCON. If he finds
useful RoCON and uses it then this is non-brainer as you say.

Timo Pietilä

Bill Hicks predicted that on Sun, 05 Jun 2005 00:40:08 +0300, Timo
Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> would write:

>Eddie Grove wrote:
>> Timo Pietilä <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> writes:
>
>>>High HP increases your surviving chances. If you can reach 18/200 CON
>>>without Westernesse use Haradekket (IIRC Haradekket does _not_ grant
>>>Free Actions so be sure you have that elsewhere too).
>>
>> I disagree. Even without 18/200 CON, it is better to use H.
>>
>> I would say, figure out the change in hitpoints, IIRC it was 6%.
>
>He has around 500 HP with Westernesse. That is instant-kill range
>(shards, sound, chaos, nether can all kill with single hit). He needs
>more HP. *but* he has one ring slot to use with RoCON. If he finds
>useful RoCON and uses it then this is non-brainer as you say.
>
>Timo Pietilä

Greetings,

Have found a RoCON +2. I am now up to 538 HP, without "W". Currently
using "H". Other ring slot is using a RoSTR +3.

Thank you both.

Paul C. Heisner

On 2005-06-04 18:00:01, "Jeda" <Matthias.nospamRudo@t-online.de> wrote:

> "Paul & Victoria Heisner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> > Greetings All,
> >
> > Took on Mim, Betrayer of Turin on dlvl 32, showed him a good time,
> > then killed him and came up with these:
> >
> > Large Leather Shield of Celegorm [4,+20]
> > Scimitar of Haradekket (2d5) (+9,+11) (+2)
> >
> > oh, yes, and also found: Morningstar of Westernesse (2d6) (+12,+10)
> > (+2)
> >
> > Now, the shield id says it provides resistance to fire, cold,
> > lightning, acid, light and dark....by "light and dark" dose this mean
> > that I can't be blinded in general or just by certain monsters (say
> > hounds)?
> >

> There are three ways to get blinded: light, darkness, and spells.
> The shield protects you from the first two. The third one is the least
> common one, so you'll rarely get blinded with that
> shield

It is worth bearing in mind that some uniques hit to blind, and for that you
absolutely need blindness resistance, there is no saving throw on this one...

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)

Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:

> My dump is below, I'll go ahead and try the "H" weapon, switching to
> this one will drop my HP from 518 to 486, but I am on dlvl 32 and I am
> looking for statgain potions, so I guess that will balance.
> Will see how it works out.
>
> Have Fun,
>
> Paul C. Heisner

[clipped strong char with nice equipment]

> [Character Inventory]
>
> a) 13 Gold Speckled Potions of Cure Critical Wounds
> b) 6 Red Speckled Potions of Healing
> c) 30 Scrolls titled "staseh er" of Identify
> d) 5 Scrolls titled "monbek oxywex" of Satisfy Hunger
> e) 4 Copper Rods of Trap Location
> f) 4 Lead Rods of Door/Stair Location
> g) 2 Magnesium Rods of Recall
> It cannot be harmed by electricity.
> h) 8 Titanium Rods of Lightning Bolts
> i) 3 Zirconium Rods of Fire Bolts
> j) 5 Silver Rods of Frost Bolts
> k) 92 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0)

One day you will be in a situation where you either escape or die.
With this inventory, you don't have the escape.
Recall is not fast enough in all situations.

Carry a stack of scrolls of Phase Door at least.
Staff of Teleportation (you dont have resist blindness), or
Scrolls of Teleportation/Teleport Level/Trap Creation would be nice.
And the wands of Teleport Other wont save you if at home.

On 2005-06-06 08:56:48, Juho Schultz <juho.schultz@helsinki.fi> wrote:

> One day you will be in a situation where you either escape or die.
> With this inventory, you don't have the escape.
> Recall is not fast enough in all situations.
>
> Carry a stack of scrolls of Phase Door at least.
> Staff of Teleportation (you dont have resist blindness), or
> Scrolls of Teleportation/Teleport Level/Trap Creation would be nice.
> And the wands of Teleport Other wont save you if at home.

Trap Creation?? What for? It merely creates extra traps to avoid - not to forget
that traps are very hard to avoid for a non-magical character.

Ojomax

twilight

[snip]

> Trap Creation?? What for? It merely creates extra traps to avoid - not
> to forget
> that traps are very hard to avoid for a non-magical character.
>
> Ojomax

I assume it's for creating trap-doors as a last resort to escape.

--
Twilight (Tomas Dedorson)
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"