Difference between a PIII 800E & EB??

G

Hi all,

Can someone please help in explaining what's the difference between a PIII EB and E chip?

Cheers,

Mike

G

Now you have half of the story... here's the rest.

Internal multipliers on the Intel CPUs are fixed.

The 600E chip, for instance has a 6x multiplier, and expects to see a system clock providing the FSB (and CPU) with a 100MHz frequency .... 6 times 100 = 600MHz

The 600EB chip has a fixed internal multiplier of 4.5, expects to see 133MHz on the system, allowing the processor to acheive it's nominal 4.5 time 133 = 600MHz

The E series was made to allow owners of BX boards to upgrade to PIII. It was not a coppermine originally, but all PIII processors over 600MHz (I think) have the 64bit datapath to the on board L2 cache, which is the fundamental difference from earlier PIII chips.

Be aware, however, that older BX boards have older BIOS, so it is sometimes necessary to flash the BIOS to a new version (see your mobo manufacturer's website for that).

Also, if you own a BX board, and attempt to use an EB (133MHz) chip, you will have to overclock to 133MHz FSB to get the chip up to it's rated speed ! Your memory and graphics card might not cut it at the overclocked settings. Many BX owners have made the unfortunate error of buying an EB chip. See Tom's complete overview and explanation @

....tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q1/000308/fsb-133-2-01.html

The nice thing about the BX chipset is that is DOES tolerate overclocking to higher FSB speeds. Mine is happilly feeding my 700E chip 140MHz, forcing the CPU to post a cool 980MHz.

There you have it.

Remember...

AMD stands for Another Meltdown Disaster (toast-wise)

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
re: PIIIE: The Pentium III processor is available with two different second level (L2) cache implementations. The “Discrete” cache version (PIII / CPUID 067xh) uses commercially available parts for the L2 cache. The L2 cache is composed of an external (to processor silicon) TagRAM and burst pipelined synchronous static RAM (BSRAM). The “Advanced Transfer Cache” (PIIIE / CPUID 068xh) L2 cache resides entirely within the processor silicon. A PIIIE is what most people call a "Coppermine".

re: PIIIB: B means a 133MHz bus speed

All SECC2 (slot 1) versions with stepping cA2 and later and all FC-PGA (socket 370) versions are "E" (they use the Advanced Transfer Cache). The only thing you have to pay attention to now when buying a new PIII is the "B".

- JW

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 01/26/01 01:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Uh... I guess I'm clearly out of my league when it comes to the technical data regarding the internal cache in the PIII chip. Wow.. who was that masked man !

But to translate, he means DON'T buy the B chip, NOT buy the B chip (At least NOT for BX based systems). My layman's description of the internal multipliers are true, and maybe even accurate.

And remember,
AMD is an acronym for Alternativechip-Maker Deserves credit for providing some real competition !

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's an awfully long sentance for such a short acronym. :)

But at least it seems reasonably accurate to me.

While we're on the subject of FSBs, what I don't understand is: Why doesn't Intel (or AMD) give us a chip based on a 150MHz FSB? Even if it was only using a 7.5x multiplier to have a total speed of 1.1GHz, it's still gonna have a faster bandwidth, so that'll kick butt. And I seem to remember hearing about memory makers actually producing 150MHz DIMMs.

And for that matter, another question: Why can't any chipset makers design an overclocker's motherboard where you can actually just set the speed you want each bus (AGP, PCI, memory, etc.) and the chipset derives the proper fraction to use for you? That way you can overclock a chip to a 150MHz FSB and still be assured that your PCI cards will work just peachy. And you could even purposely overclock your AGP bus if you knew that your card could handle it.

These seem like such simple concepts... so is there actually a good reason that they aren't done?

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best chipsets are made by the Evil Giant, who would be financially hurt if they made it easier to overclock their CPU's. And besides, overclockers make up to small a portion of the market to justify the added expense.

Suicide is painless...........

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If I had the money, I'd start a company that developed products like that. They may be a small percentage, but if you could get 80% of all overclockers to buy your products, then you'd do well. (As a small privately-run company anyway.)

I could easily see where a small enough company specializing in specific products such as that could do very well. All that they would have to do is make a great product for overclockers and prove that theirs is the best for overclockers. And before you know it, every web site that reviews anything to do with overclocking will want to review your products and you'll make a fortune.

So I'd start my company with that, and then I'd also create my linked-list AGP card ...and to go with it, a dual AGP motherboard.

If only I had the money and technical expertise to do it...

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

G

Is the following assumption correct on my part ?

If you have an ASUS CLS2 board from what I can gather on here you would pick a 700E 100MHz PIII if you were going to overclock. My question is if you don't plan on overclocking would it then make sense to get the higher rated 133MHz processor ?

Tony :wink:

G

TonyT,

You've brought this post back from the beneath the swamp of chip wars to ask a simple and reasonable question.. Just when I thought this site turned into a flaming inferno. Refreshing.

If you would rather not depend on overclocking to get higher overall performance (and you have a CUSL), you should definately get an EB chip. This will set your system clock (and especially, your RAM) 33% faster than E chips. Prices aren't usually much different between them, anyway.

You can choose 800EB for about $200 (less than), or jump straight to 1GHz for about $250. Here are a couple of sites to look for pretty accurate prices...

http://www.pcprogress.com/
http://www.upgradeplanet.com/

If you choose the second site, be very clear of what you want, ask for an e-mail with an itemized order confirmation, and call them back for a tracking number. The are honest (refunded me promptly at the old price when the price actually went up on an order mixup), but made a mistakes on two orders in a row. The first vendor seems more efficient (itemized order confirmation and no mistakes). But the first vendor has the real deal on the 7.5x133 PIII1000EB. You waited long enough for a 60 dollar price drop (more, I think!).

Have fun