Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Monitor] must order today before deals disappear.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 25, 2012 4:47:41 PM

Hello I am in need of a new monitor. Here is my rig:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz (currently running 4.3GHz OC) Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM (Music, Movies, Photos, Junk, and Backup)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (OS/Some Video Programs)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Games/Programming Software)
Video Card: 2x Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB 915MHz (Currently running 1075MHz OC) Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V
Optical Drive: Asus DRW
Monitor: Ps3 3D 24in Monitor (Currently)
Keyboard: Black Widow Ultimate
Mouse: SWTOR Razer Gaming Mouse (aka Naga mouse)
Headset: Astro a40s (wired)

So I want to buy 3 monitors and stuck between the monitors below. Hardcore gaming like bf3, swtor, mw3, SC2, crysis 2, and future games. My big question is ips vs tn and is 21in verse 24in really noticeable?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S0XYKK/ref=ox_sc_a... (e-ips)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058UUR6E/ref=ox_sc_a... (tn)

http://www.amazon.com/AOC-I2353PH-23-Widescreen-Monitor... (e-ips)

Best solution

a c 195 C Monitor
June 25, 2012 8:08:58 PM

Not a big fan of TN panel monitors basically due to the very poor viewing angles whic means colors shift the more off center you are. I can even notice it by staring directly at a TN panel monitor and just rolling my eye around to view different areas of the screen w/o moving my head.

AOC is not exactly a known of quality so I tend to avoid their monitors.

That leave Asus. Overall, they make good quality products at a reasonable price, not a "premium" tier 1 LCD monitor brand name like Dell, NEC or Samsung, but a good tier 2 company that gives you bang for the buck.

Things will look a little smaller on a 21" vs 24" monitor with the same resolution so text will be a little harder to read, but not a big deal if you have good eyesight. Unless you have bad vision, it's nothing to worry about. Images will look sharper because of less space in between the pixels.
June 25, 2012 8:41:11 PM

jaguarskx said:
Not a big fan of TN panel monitors basically due to the very poor viewing angles whic means colors shift the more off center you are. I can even notice it by staring directly at a TN panel monitor and just rolling my eye around to view different areas of the screen w/o moving my head.

AOC is not exactly a known of quality so I tend to avoid their monitors.

That leave Asus. Overall, they make good quality products at a reasonable price, not a "premium" tier 1 LCD monitor brand name like Dell, NEC or Samsung, but a good tier 2 company that gives you bang for the buck.

Things will look a little smaller on a 21" vs 24" monitor with the same resolution so text will be a little harder to read, but not a big deal if you have good eyesight. Unless you have bad vision, it's nothing to worry about. Images will look sharper because of less space in between the pixels.

Ok cause I read reviews about ips not performing well with fast moving games. To me color isn't super import as actual lag is. Can you tell me how lag is with an ips?

Ps wanted to add I can spend $600 but would really like to get 3. Thank you
m
l
Related resources
a c 195 C Monitor
June 25, 2012 9:36:23 PM

I've read many people who posted that 8ms on e-IPs is still good enough for playing games and only have very little ghosting. Some even say 12ms is perfectly fine. Even professionally written reviews states that certain e-IPS monitors are perfectly fine for playing games. Specs are more or less generic for monitors, you can't really judge a monitor until you actually use it / test it.

As an example, here is a review for the Dell U2212HM which has a 8ms response time.

My H-IPS monitors are rated at 6ms and 5ms response time. I have no issues with them when playing games. However, response times and input lag are two different things; they are not related to each other.
m
l
June 25, 2012 9:52:59 PM

jaguarskx said:
I've read many people who posted that 8ms on e-IPs is still good enough for playing games and only have very little ghosting. Some even say 12ms is perfectly fine. Even professionally written reviews states that certain e-IPS monitors are perfectly fine for playing games. Specs are more or less generic for monitors, you can't really judge a monitor until you actually use it / test it.

As an example, here is a review for the Dell U2212HM which has a 8ms response time.

My H-IPS monitors are rated at 6ms and 5ms response time. I have no issues with them when playing games. However, response times and input lag are two different things; they are not related to each other.

Ok cause I want them to last since I am buying 3 lol. I don't want to have to change in a year. Thank you again. If no one else responds within the hour I will go with the IPS. Also any other model you prefer with a $600 limit total for 3?
m
l
a c 195 C Monitor
June 26, 2012 1:29:24 AM

Here are the viewing angles from the Asus VS229H. It's similar to the VS229H-P that you are looking for, but it lacks response time acceleration so the response is 14m instead of 8ms.

Here's the review in case you are interested.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-asus-...

There are no reviews for the Asus VS248H monitor with a TN panel, but here is the viewing angle of the TN panel used an the Asus VK246H monitor (I have this monitor connected to my HTPC).

Here's the review.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-asus-...

-------------------------------------------------

The viewing angles are a bit extreme. No one really views monitors from those angles in a normal situation, not even with a 3 monitor setup. If you really, really want low response times then get the Asus VS248H. I just prefer IPS panel monitors myself so I would personally choose the Asus VS229H-P.
m
l
June 26, 2012 1:32:18 AM

If i had the extra $300 for the dell I think i might have gotten them but the asus seems great, personally I love asus products. For $160 for ips I think it's a win. Thanks for the help.
m
l
June 26, 2012 1:35:46 AM

Best answer selected by Paramedicsam.
m
l
!