dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I am buying an AMD 1.2GHz TBird next weekend w/a 133 MHz FSB motherboard. I have read stuff about 133MHz capable 'C' versions of the processors. How do I know if my processor is a 133Mhz capable 'C' version? Is it labeled like that or will a 1.2 GHz be a 133Mhz capable 'C' version? Also does it cost more for a 133Mhz capable 'C' version?
Thanks; I just want to make sure I buy the right stuff...

Also I think I am getting the ASUS 133FSB board that was reviewed, does that sound good? And I heard I should get the best RAM, so I am spending 190 on a 256 MB DIMM. Is that too much?

Thanks

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It could be that no one is helping because no one really has an answer.

I've looked and haven't found any of the Cs for sale. But then with an Athlon chip it really doesn't matter because it'd take so little effort to change the chip to run at a 133MHz FSB and then you just have to lower the multiplier so that it's still only a 1.2GHz.

I think the C versions are only because there are people who fear having to manually adjust things like that.

But either way, so long as the motherboard supports it you really are good to go.

And spending money on reliable memory is always worth it.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's a good board btw,

as to the ram, what kind of ram?

I'm assuming that you know that u must use sdram on that board.

this is the ram i'd recommend.
mushkin or crucial
256mb CL2 pc133

i'm not sure how much though....,
also, are you from Canada?
the price you quoted for ram (if it's sdram) sounds like a Canadian price to me.
My friend just bought a 256mb chip (only CL3 though) and he got micron (crucial) for 145 + tax.

G

The code is written on the core ( blue core= made in Germany with new technology copper interconnects= faster) (green core color is made with aluminium in USA) Code for AMD Tbird: A1200ATP3C and they selling it these week. The price = little bit higher than the B version.
The best mobo now is Abit KT7A(with raid = faster) and ofcourse with 2 harddisks IBM Deskstar 75GXP DTLA307030
And be sure GET Fast PC133 or faster SDRAM.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by anton1 on 01/29/01 06:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I don't think you can get a 133mhz 'C' TB right now. but you can get any 100mhz TB and Overclock it. by using a simple pencil.

YOU are not actually overclocking it, but merely changing 12x100=1200mhz to 7.5x133=1200Mhz. If you don't want the hazzled of drawing you NEW TB and voiding your 1.2 warranty, then really look for a 'C' version.

Plus, with $190 for 256 PC133, you can get 256DDR ram and go for the NEW ASUS a7m266 DDR motherboard. (should be release end of JAN)