HELP ME!!!! I'm going crazy!!!!

G

Anyone ever hear of this crap?
I have a CD-RW and a DVD on my secondary IDE. When I boot, it detects everything fine.... I even get visual verification that BOTH are detected (during boot). But once I hit Windows, niether are there! What the hell is this??? I thought it was just happening with my KT7... but it's even happening with my old BX mobo. Someone please help me here, Ive checked everything including jumpers and to make sure the cable are facing the wrong way! NOTHING! What the hell is going on here??????? Im not a damn moron..... I've done this a million times and now this??? Someone help me please!

Hpnotyz

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
check your cdrw and dvdrom's jumpers. make sure the shorted pins are different for both drives.

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

G

Which drive is the master and which is the slave? Maybe you should swap them around.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nothing matters, it is a windows thing, check the Device manager for the Hard disk controllers. There are should be Primary, Secondary and "Somebody's" Bus master. Remove all of that, reboot, let windows detect all the crap, reboot, you will have what you want. But do it at yer own risk, that is how I fix it, you might have a different thing... hehe

K7 + KT7 + MX300 + VooDoo3000 = :smile:

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
I would boot in safe mode and see if you have dup. copy's of the cdr and dvd in device manager. If you find more than one copy remove them and do a system reboot. Let the system reinstall them once more. I have found this to be a problem in the Win9x line. I also place my cd rom on IDE controller one and my cdrw on IDE controller 2. When they use to be on same cable i was always having problems with both on them.
Good Luck

:cool:

jobe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
UM...did anybody check for a boot sector virus???

MBR viruses are notorious for taking out CD drives.

jObE

G

I'm runing my CD-RW on SEC IDE Master and my CD-ROM as a slave on the same IDE with no problems Now. knock on wood. I lost my cdrw and rom in device manager. and as it was suggested I removed my controller (IDE) and rebooted then rebooted all was well seems there was a conflict between IRQ's. good luck..

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Same thing happened to me when I had my cdrom hooked up to the ata-100 controller on my a7v133. You can get the cdrom to boot, install windows. Then when windows starts up, it won't recognize the promise controller. You have to load the drivers, which means you have to plug the cdrom into the ata-66, load the drivers, plug it into the ata-100......
If that's your deal, you might think about hooking your cdrw up to the promise controller instead.