I cannot print any document other than notepad, neither the printer will work or

centralmoron22

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
At first I thought it was only my printer......uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled.......etc. Then I tried to print as an XPS document and I get the same error messages. Example error message from Excel is "Your file could not be printed due to an error on Microsoft XPS Document writer". If I try the printer I get the exact same message. From Firefox I get "An unknown error occurred while printing." I have searched everywhere for a solution, I even restored as far back as I could but that was only a month ago. I can print from Notepad, both on the printer and XPS Document writer, I can also print a test page and an alignment page. Any ideas?

Solution

I would also say if you have the OS disc for your computer, run an sfc /scannow and see if it repairs any damaged OS files. It's so random in different programs there has to be an underlying cause.... its just finding it.

go into printers make sure your main printer is set to the default printer.
in outlook go under printer and change it to your default printer. save then exit.
same for firefox. if they wont print..if your main printer is a usb printer then check to see that your printing to a usb0001 printer.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/4cae5aad-0ca0-431f-8774-70b9842baaf2

I was thinking it might be an issue with the computer seeing your default printer but now I'm not so sure. I let the scenario you're having swirl around for a bit.

It's strange that it is allowing you to print from Notepad and the test and alignment page.

What type of printer is it that you're using?
Is it only in Excel and Firefox that you're getting this error?

I know you said that you've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the printer, did you unplug it from the computer when you did this before reinstalling the drivers?
Only reason I ask is I have seen an issue closely similar to this that was caused by the end user getting similar errors when attempting to print (except for basic stuff, like you) and it turned out they were keeping the printer plugged in when trying to load new printer drivers from the vendors website. Might be worth a shot.

centralmoron22

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I unplugged the usb cable...used the HP dr to uninstall, then followed instructions on reinstall and only plugged in the USB upon prompting. I tried to print from Word, Excel, and Firefox. I just checked and I can print from IE 64...........very weird.

Typically no, as long as it has a USB**** (the * being a # usb port of course).

How did you load the drivers for the printer? Through the vendors installer or through Add Printer Wizard in Control Panel?

Hmmmm..... :??: :??:

When's the last time you ran a malware scan on the computer? Or have you noticed any strange behaviors out of it recently?

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does. It almost sounds like something is controlling the printer and only allowing certain things to print to and from it.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

centralmoron22

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I use CCleaner often actutally and I only have the following on startup.. Sidebar? Googleupdate, Akamai Netsession, MS default mgr, AVP(kaspersky) Itunes helper, RTHDVCPL, APS Daemon..........I will run Spybot if you think that will help.

It can't hurt. While it's running I'll dig around and see if I can find anything. It's almost as if the printer is not receiving full communication from the computer at random intervals of time. You had mentioned that the printer is plugged in via USB. How old is the cable?

I would think so since it's software printing. I've looked in several different places and there has been some issues where reinstalling the XPS Essentials Pack resolved their issue and others where it did not resolve until they broke down and reinstalled Windows (not what I'm recommending you jump and do mind you)

It very well could be.

HERE is more information on Yontoo and what it is.

I have to admit, this issue is quite daunting. It's getting late here (CST USA) so I am going to call it a night in a few and will check on this issue in the AM.

centralmoron22

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
okay.....lets recap.

From Word, Excel, Firefox I cannot print on either my HP 1050 USB printer or XPS Document Viewer. I CAN print through both methods from IE or Notepad. Tried several driver updates, Windows updates, troubleshooters, malware scans and startup checks.

centralmoron22

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I think I am about to give up or go crazy! It seems that nobody else can solve this riddle either. I will leave this thread open and check in tomorrow. Hopefully somebody out there knows what the issue is. Thanks again!

I would also say if you have the OS disc for your computer, run an sfc /scannow and see if it repairs any damaged OS files. It's so random in different programs there has to be an underlying cause.... its just finding it.

Solution