Sign in with
Your question

What Laptop Do You Suggest I Buy?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 6, 2013 2:41:04 AM

i'm still confused about what laptop to buy. maybe u guys can help me decide. this is what i'm looking for:

- i want a laptop with VERY fast bootup.

- i'll just use it to check email, youtube and mutitask Word docs.

- its got to have a long battery life, like 4 - 7 hours.

please let me know what laptop u can recommend.

also, should i get 32-bit or 64-bit win 7?

More about : laptop suggest buy

a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 2:47:22 AM

64bit is standard pretty much anymore.

If you are wanting fast boot-up, look for a laptop with a SSD (Solid State Drive) or at least a SATA drive with a SSD Cache drive for booting. Toshiba is known to be marketing these currently.

The only downside to getting a laptop with SSD and quick boot times is the cost. Be prepared to shell out some extra bones for the speed you want. :) 
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:58:16 AM

hedwar2011 said:
64bit is standard pretty much anymore.

If you are wanting fast boot-up, look for a laptop with a SSD (Solid State Drive) or at least a SATA drive with a SSD Cache drive for booting. Toshiba is known to be marketing these currently.

The only downside to getting a laptop with SSD and quick boot times is the cost. Be prepared to shell out some extra bones for the speed you want. :) 

hi hedwar2.. can u look at this link and tell me what u think of that laptop? again, i dont kno if i'll be using games, but theres a chance i might.. please use my above criteria as a guide. thanks.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en...

also, can you tell me if its possible to install 32-bit win7 in a 64-bit laptop?
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 5:40:20 AM

it is possible to install 32bit on a 64bit laptop but you can only use 4GB ram or less.

You'll need a good GPU to play games the GPU on the laptop you suggested wont do. also the hard drive that this laptop has is slow and cannot give you nice boot times. As already stated by hedwar you need a SSD or a hybrid drive like a Seagate Momentus XT.

for the best customization experience you better head to cyberpower website.
All laptops with SSD already installed come at a very high price but some sites let you customize your laptop like, cyberpower, sager, ibuypower, HP(some models), etc. this way you can add a SSD on a cheap laptop.
m
l
January 6, 2013 8:26:58 AM

Xttony said:
it is possible to install 32bit on a 64bit laptop but you can only use 4GB ram or less.

You'll need a good GPU to play games the GPU on the laptop you suggested wont do. also the hard drive that this laptop has is slow and cannot give you nice boot times. As already stated by hedwar you need a SSD or a hybrid drive like a Seagate Momentus XT.

for the best customization experience you better head to cyberpower website.
All laptops with SSD already installed come at a very high price but some sites let you customize your laptop like, cyberpower, sager, ibuypower, HP(some models), etc. this way you can add a SSD on a cheap laptop.

well lets say i buy a laptop from ebay.. isnt it then better and cheaper to just buy an SSD for it?

also, do u think that the specs of the laptop from the above link is good enough for games?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 10:59:01 AM

koolx said:
well lets say i buy a laptop from ebay.. isnt it then better and cheaper to just buy an SSD for it?

also, do u think that the specs of the laptop from the above link is good enough for games?

You are considering buying a laptop from ebay :o  :o  ??

Good rule of thumb: Don't buy anything like that from ebay. You have no way to verify it isn't stolen, broken with a quick fix, etc. You always want to get something like a laptop from reputable places. There are times you might luck out and find one at a pawn shop (which is extremely rare) but then they too start to show their thorns.
m
l
January 6, 2013 11:39:05 AM

koolx said:

Yes but you may or maynot have space for two drives. If you don't have enough space then you have to remove the drive the laptop originally came with voiding the warranty. I don't think that is a good idea. The best option is to just get. Laptop with an SSD.
If you want to play games on your laptop then the price will shoot right up. For hardcore gaming you need GTX 670M or HD 7970M to play games at max settings at 1080p.
For normal gaming
You at least need GTX 630 or an equivalent card to play games at normal settings with acceptable fps, but the laptop won't be able to play much games that will release in future. Your laptop won't simple be able to handle it.

So at least check out cyberpower, xoticpc, ibuypower
Since you can put an SSD in customization you don't need to worry about warranty getting void.

NOTE: AMD graphics cards for laptops are plagued with enduro problems while the nVidia cards are just too damn expensive.
AMD provided a beta fix for that which improved performance significantly and a new fix is on the way.

You also might wanna wait for AMD and nVidia to launch their new cards at CES (Jan 8-11).
m
l
!