L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
More about skills impossible
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-06-11 13:09:46, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:

    > Hey all.
    >
    > So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three spellcasting
    > skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.
    >
    > Been taking hard quests from the beginning, which has been fun. The
    > current quest if for AMHDs...which is proving difficult. A few quests
    > ago I had Vampire Lords. Unfortunately for me they have an annoying
    > mind blasting spell which will temporarily paralyze you if the save was
    > bad enough. Of course, without the spell resistance skill my save is
    > terrible...
    >
    > ...so barring any scumming for items with the +to-save attribute, any
    > tips? Some uniques get several turns on me already, even with
    > haste+speed items, which makes me think I'm just waiting to be killed by
    > a lucky mind blaster.

    I'm afraid Sang isn't be field of expertise, much though I enjoy it -- However,
    my experience thus far suggests that Spell Resistance is probably the single
    most important invested skill regarding dying in irritating ways, even with
    packs of novice paladins / mages / priests early on.

    However, considering how far you've got I'd say good luck to you!

    --
    Take Care,
    Graham

    Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
    Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
    C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
    players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
    the dungeon etc...)
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> writes:

    > Hey all.
    >
    > So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three spellcasting
    > skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.

    What's the point of magical device skill? I would think a wizard
    should be able to use spells to do what magical devices do.

    Not meaning to be annoying, just curious.

    As to a tip, have you won already with just 6 skills? Why not
    try something more feasible, and work your way harder after
    each win?

    Eddie
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    topazg wrote:
    > On 2005-06-11 13:09:46, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:

    > > So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three spellcasting
    > > skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.
    > >
    > > Been taking hard quests from the beginning, which has been fun. The
    > > current quest if for AMHDs...which is proving difficult. A few quests
    > > ago I had Vampire Lords. Unfortunately for me they have an annoying
    > > mind blasting spell which will temporarily paralyze you if the save was
    > > bad enough. Of course, without the spell resistance skill my save is
    > > terrible...
    > >
    > > ...so barring any scumming for items with the +to-save attribute, any
    > > tips? Some uniques get several turns on me already, even with
    > > haste+speed items, which makes me think I'm just waiting to be killed by
    > > a lucky mind blaster.

    > I'm afraid Sang isn't be field of expertise, much though I enjoy it --
    > my experience thus far suggests that Spell Resistance is probably the single
    > most important invested skill regarding dying in irritating ways, even with
    > packs of novice paladins / mages / priests early on.

    I agree, and S is my most-played variant. I've not tried a
    minimal-skills character yet, but if I was to pick only four skills,
    I'd take the Oath of Iron with karate, perception, spell resistance and
    armour forging. If I really wanted to play a caster I'd take the three
    magic skills and spell resistance rather than devices.

    Still, good luck to Buggerby. I'm afraid I don't have any decent tips -
    AFAIK there is no defence against mind blasting except to improve your
    saving throw.

    Ho hum.

    CC
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
    > "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> writes:
    >
    >> Hey all.
    >>
    >> So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three
    >> spellcasting
    >> skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.
    >
    > What's the point of magical device skill? I would think a wizard
    > should be able to use spells to do what magical devices do.
    >
    > Not meaning to be annoying, just curious.

    Ah, because the magic devices are what has kept me interested. I keep
    a veritable arsenal of very powerful attack rods as my main offensive.
    I use magic for really tough things and rods for anything that doesn't
    resist. Keep staves and wands that I pick up for tap energy. The idea
    is to keep the mana for the more important things, like 0% fail teleport
    other, huge barrages of gravity balls (wonder is the wizard's best
    friend) and other high-cost spells. They kill things quick, but are
    just not worth wasting the mana on the lower level creatures.

    Anywho, say I replaced magic devices with spell resistance. Then I'd
    be almost unkillable (barring stupidity). But my offense would be very
    weak. As soon as the mana ran low it'd probably be time to run for the
    stairs (tele-away on a large number of critters is infeasible (out of
    mana, no beam (even at wiz 100)), tele self could just instakill me).
    That'd probably get really old...

    If I could take a fourth skill it would be armour forging; then I'd go
    forge me some guantlets wit +4 to saving throw or something :).

    > As to a tip, have you won already with just 6 skills? Why not
    > try something more feasible, and work your way harder after
    > each win?

    No, I haven't won yet with 6 skills...I just thought 4 wouldn't be so
    hard :).
    My main reason for this restriction is that with no restrictions
    is way too easy.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

    <offtopic>
    Glen, I've been wondering for a little while what variant of the Geek
    Code is in your .sig. It's not the Angband one - could it be a
    Roguelike Code?
    Thanks,
    Fluffy
    </offtopic>
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    "fluffybunny" <fluffy_bunny_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > <offtopic>
    > Glen, I've been wondering for a little while what variant of the Geek
    > Code is in your .sig. It's not the Angband one - could it be a
    > Roguelike Code?
    > Thanks,
    > Fluffy

    It's the RoguelikeDev code. I think there is an ``article'' on it at
    roguelikedevelopment.org, but may be mistaken. Google is your friend
    :).

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Video Games