[S] Four skills? Impossible?

Last response: in Video Games
June 12, 2005 1:09:46 AM

Hey all.

So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three spellcasting
skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.

Been taking hard quests from the beginning, which has been fun. The
current quest if for AMHDs...which is proving difficult. A few quests
ago I had Vampire Lords. Unfortunately for me they have an annoying
mind blasting spell which will temporarily paralyze you if the save was
bad enough. Of course, without the spell resistance skill my save is
terrible...

...so barring any scumming for items with the +to-save attribute, any
tips? Some uniques get several turns on me already, even with
haste+speed items, which makes me think I'm just waiting to be killed by
a lucky mind blaster.

--
Glen
L:p yt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

More about : skills impossible

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:09:47 AM

On 2005-06-11 13:09:46, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three spellcasting
> skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.
>
> Been taking hard quests from the beginning, which has been fun. The
> current quest if for AMHDs...which is proving difficult. A few quests
> ago I had Vampire Lords. Unfortunately for me they have an annoying
> mind blasting spell which will temporarily paralyze you if the save was
> bad enough. Of course, without the spell resistance skill my save is
> terrible...
>
> ...so barring any scumming for items with the +to-save attribute, any
> tips? Some uniques get several turns on me already, even with
> haste+speed items, which makes me think I'm just waiting to be killed by
> a lucky mind blaster.

I'm afraid Sang isn't be field of expertise, much though I enjoy it -- However,
my experience thus far suggests that Spell Resistance is probably the single
most important invested skill regarding dying in irritating ways, even with
packs of novice paladins / mages / priests early on.

However, considering how far you've got I'd say good luck to you!

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:09:47 AM

"Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> writes:

> Hey all.
>
> So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three spellcasting
> skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.

What's the point of magical device skill? I would think a wizard
should be able to use spells to do what magical devices do.

Not meaning to be annoying, just curious.

As to a tip, have you won already with just 6 skills? Why not
try something more feasible, and work your way harder after
each win?

Eddie
June 12, 2005 1:09:48 AM

topazg wrote:
> On 2005-06-11 13:09:46, "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> wrote:

> > So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three spellcasting
> > skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.
> >
> > Been taking hard quests from the beginning, which has been fun. The
> > current quest if for AMHDs...which is proving difficult. A few quests
> > ago I had Vampire Lords. Unfortunately for me they have an annoying
> > mind blasting spell which will temporarily paralyze you if the save was
> > bad enough. Of course, without the spell resistance skill my save is
> > terrible...
> >
> > ...so barring any scumming for items with the +to-save attribute, any
> > tips? Some uniques get several turns on me already, even with
> > haste+speed items, which makes me think I'm just waiting to be killed by
> > a lucky mind blaster.

> I'm afraid Sang isn't be field of expertise, much though I enjoy it --
> my experience thus far suggests that Spell Resistance is probably the single
> most important invested skill regarding dying in irritating ways, even with
> packs of novice paladins / mages / priests early on.

I agree, and S is my most-played variant. I've not tried a
minimal-skills character yet, but if I was to pick only four skills,
I'd take the Oath of Iron with karate, perception, spell resistance and
armour forging. If I really wanted to play a caster I'd take the three
magic skills and spell resistance rather than devices.

Still, good luck to Buggerby. I'm afraid I don't have any decent tips -
AFAIK there is no defence against mind blasting except to improve your
saving throw.

Ho hum.

CC
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:17:41 PM

"Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
> "Glen Wheeler" <gew75@uow.edu.au> writes:
>
>> Hey all.
>>
>> So I have Buggerby, a gnome wizard taking only the three
>> spellcasting
>> skills and magical devices. Unfortunately there is a problem.
>
> What's the point of magical device skill? I would think a wizard
> should be able to use spells to do what magical devices do.
>
> Not meaning to be annoying, just curious.

Ah, because the magic devices are what has kept me interested. I keep
a veritable arsenal of very powerful attack rods as my main offensive.
I use magic for really tough things and rods for anything that doesn't
resist. Keep staves and wands that I pick up for tap energy. The idea
is to keep the mana for the more important things, like 0% fail teleport
other, huge barrages of gravity balls (wonder is the wizard's best
friend) and other high-cost spells. They kill things quick, but are
just not worth wasting the mana on the lower level creatures.

Anywho, say I replaced magic devices with spell resistance. Then I'd
be almost unkillable (barring stupidity). But my offense would be very
weak. As soon as the mana ran low it'd probably be time to run for the
stairs (tele-away on a large number of critters is infeasible (out of
mana, no beam (even at wiz 100)), tele self could just instakill me).
That'd probably get really old...

If I could take a fourth skill it would be armour forging; then I'd go
forge me some guantlets wit +4 to saving throw or something :) .

> As to a tip, have you won already with just 6 skills? Why not
> try something more feasible, and work your way harder after
> each win?

No, I haven't won yet with 6 skills...I just thought 4 wouldn't be so
hard :) .
My main reason for this restriction is that with no restrictions
is way too easy.

--
Glen
L:p yt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

<offtopic>
Glen, I've been wondering for a little while what variant of the Geek
Code is in your .sig. It's not the Angband one - could it be a
Roguelike Code?
Thanks,
Fluffy
</offtopic>
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:49:12 PM

"fluffybunny" <fluffy_bunny_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> <offtopic>
> Glen, I've been wondering for a little while what variant of the Geek
> Code is in your .sig. It's not the Angband one - could it be a
> Roguelike Code?
> Thanks,
> Fluffy

It's the RoguelikeDev code. I think there is an ``article'' on it at
roguelikedevelopment.org, but may be mistaken. Google is your friend
:) .

--
Glen
L:p yt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-