TN panel

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Hello,

I'm buying a new monitor soon and I know from what I've read that I should stay away from TN panel monitors. Why is that? And what should I go for (as a panel)?

Thanks in advance.

TN panels don't have as good color reproduction or viewing angles as the IPS panels. But they are cheaper and have a faster response.

If you want a good monitor, I like the Dell UltraSharp series, they always finish high in reviews if not first.

Samsung and Asus are also good brands.

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
TN panels are fine for anyone who isn't trying to do professional photography/color correction/ etc. If you have the extra few hundred dollars it would take to get a decent IPS panel then you should, because they do offer superior colors and viewing angles with a still decent response time.

However if you're like me and would rather spend 150$ instead of 350$, and just want to play games, watch some movies, and the like, a TN panel is a perfectly fine investment.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks revolution, those are exactly my needs. I don't have a large budget and just want to play games at 1080p.

My understanding was that TN panels are somewhat defective and don't display quality colors and picture and I was worried that I had to spend like $400 for a monitor that would really work. By the way, doesn't the TN's faster response mean that it's better for gaming?

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Oh and another thing, is the difference between 300cd and 250cd brightness big? My current monitor is 300cd and the one I'm buying is 250. There won't be any sort of light flashing against it to block it but still I wonder.

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
TN does allow for lower response time, which means there will be slightly less noticeable blur than a low-end IPS panel.

Also the difference between 250 and 300 on the brightness scale is not a big deal, and shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

TN panels are not what you'd call defective, they are just not as good as IPS when it comes to richness of color and a few other items. I will say when I went from a TN screen to a S-IPS screen it was like getting a new computer and the games looked like I upped the settings on them somehow.

But a TN screen will work just fine, probably 90% of the screens sold are TN models.