NPP squelch port to vanilla: Status report

I've ported several features from NPP to vanilla. The most notable one
is squelch.

The little purple dots are working, the squelch screens are working.
All that's left is the save file. (Right now, I'm using whether the
player is "aware" of an object type as a stand-in for whether any
(Variable names are in quotations.)

I find my characters are dying a lot more than is normal even for me in
the last few days. Developing is really distracting from play. Well,
it *sounds* like a reasonable excuse anyway.

I'm going to need some volunteers, especially to test save-file
compatibility, before I present this thing as a candidate to be
included in the next vanilla release. Also, I'm going on a 10 day
vacation on Thursday, so I may not be able to get this out the door for
another two weeks.

Features (all UI-related, ports from NPP):

NPP-style autosquelch
NPP-style ego-boost big game kill list.
Display of # spells to study on main page, and of turncount on the
Character info page.

- Pete Mack

pete mack wrote:
> I've ported several features from NPP to vanilla. The most notable one
> is squelch.

OK. Save files seem to be working. I've tried a few 3.06-a unmodified
save files, and a 3.0.5 save file.

How does one go about uploading a patch?

Just clean the directory, make a tarball and anonymous ftp, or is there
more than that?

Features:
*NPP-style autosquelch
*NPP-style ego-boost big game kill list.
*Display of # spells to study on main page, and of turncount on the
Character info page.
*Back-compatible save files.

Diego Gonzalez wrote:
> On 2005-06-13 00:30:26, "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > All that's left is the save file. (Right now, I'm using whether the
> > player is "aware" of an object type as a stand-in for whether any
> > (Variable names are in quotations.)
>
> Using only the "aware" flag to show an object type in the squelch menus can
> cause some troubles:
> -Weapons and armor have the aware flag by default, so high level objects of
> those kinds (Maces of Disruption, etc.) are spoiled for newbie players.
> -If you are porting the adult_retain_squelch option too you have to be careful
> of squelching only aware objects automatically.
> The "everseen" flag was added to adress these problems.

Thanks much.

I was using "aware" as a temporary thing, until I got the rest of the
port working. I'm using everseen now, with full savefile capability.
It's working great.

And I don't like adult_retain_squelch. I did not port that feature.
Stuff squelched early and stuff squelched late are just too different
for it to be useful.

My trouble with aware was that suddenly all the unused junk appeared as
squelchable (rat skeletons, shards, etc), and it made setting up
initial squelch values for potions & scrolls a nuisance.

If you--or anyone--is willing to do a code review, I'd be very much
obliged.

I had an entertaining moment at the end of the port, when suddenly
"Lite" could be open or closed, while empty chests could be either
cursed or artifact-quality. It was an off-by-one error introduced by
the DSS class.

On 2005-06-13 00:30:26, "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> wrote:

> All that's left is the save file. (Right now, I'm using whether the
> player is "aware" of an object type as a stand-in for whether any
> (Variable names are in quotations.)

Using only the "aware" flag to show an object type in the squelch menus can
cause some troubles:
-Weapons and armor have the aware flag by default, so high level objects of
those kinds (Maces of Disruption, etc.) are spoiled for newbie players.
-If you are porting the adult_retain_squelch option too you have to be careful
of squelching only aware objects automatically.
The "everseen" flag was added to adress these problems.

-Diego

Diego Gonzalez wrote:
> On 2005-06-13 06:25:26, "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My trouble with aware was that suddenly all the unused junk appeared as
> > squelchable (rat skeletons, shards, etc), and it made setting up
> > initial squelch values for potions & scrolls a nuisance.
> >

> Could you explain this a bit more?

There are a whole bunch of junk items in Vanilla object.txt that are
never used, like pottery shards, various skeletons, broken sticks.
These things don't need to be squelched, because they have a frequency
of 0. But using aware, they still show up on the squelch menu. At the
same time, if you use "aware", you can't squelch all the various
poisonous mushrooms or potions at once, at the beginning of the game.
You have to wait until you see each type again, every time you play.

> > If you--or anyone--is willing to do a code review, I'd be very much
> > obliged.
> >

> Sure, send the patch to "dieiggon AT yahoo DOT com DOT ar"

It's on the way.

On 2005-06-13 06:25:26, "pete mack" <pmac360@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My trouble with aware was that suddenly all the unused junk appeared as
> squelchable (rat skeletons, shards, etc), and it made setting up
> initial squelch values for potions & scrolls a nuisance.

Could you explain this a bit more?

> If you--or anyone--is willing to do a code review, I'd be very much
> obliged.

Sure, send the patch to "dieiggon AT yahoo DOT com DOT ar"

-Diego

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

pete mack wrote:
> pete mack wrote:
> > I've ported several features from NPP to vanilla. The most notable one
> > is squelch.

> Features:
> *NPP-style autosquelch

Does this include auto-inscribe?

> *NPP-style ego-boost big game kill list.
> *Display of # spells to study on main page, and of turncount on the
> Character info page.
> *Back-compatible save files.

CC

magnate wrote:
> pete mack wrote:
> > pete mack wrote:
> > > I've ported several features from NPP to vanilla. The most notable one
> > > is squelch.
>
> > Features:
> > *NPP-style autosquelch
>
> Does this include auto-inscribe?

Yes. But I realized it's not working properly. I'm apparently missing
some hooks. I found one hook, but it wasn't enough.