Closed

Longbow vs Crossbow which is better?

Greetings All,

I have these items:

Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)

Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)

They are both the same type, I have read that HVY CB is suppose to be
the best one is this true?

Just asking....

Thanks for the help!

Paul C. Heisner
12 answers Last reply
More about longbow crossbow better
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:

    > Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)
    >
    > Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)
    >
    > They are both the same type, I have read that HVY CB is suppose to be
    > the best one is this true?

    Yes, just look at the total multiplier, plus in this case the crossbow has a
    higher todam anyway, you will of course want to enchant up the to-hit.

    Bolts also used to be less likely to break than arrows, but is has been a
    few years since I played.

    --
    Cliff Stamp
    sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

    The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
    is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

    Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Cliff Stamp wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
    >
    >> Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)
    >>
    >> Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)

    This is better. Multiplier is x5 while LBow has only x4 and to_dam is
    greater too.

    > Bolts also used to be less likely to break than arrows, but is has been a
    > few years since I played.

    + normal bolts are 1d5 while arrows are 1d4.

    Timo Pietilä
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-06-15 23:28:22, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Timo_Pietilä?=
    <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> wrote:

    > Cliff Stamp wrote:
    > > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
    > >
    > >> Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)
    > >>
    > >> Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)
    >
    > This is better. Multiplier is x5 while LBow has only x4 and to_dam is
    > greater too.
    >
    > > Bolts also used to be less likely to break than arrows, but is has been a
    > > few years since I played.
    >
    > + normal bolts are 1d5 while arrows are 1d4.
    >
    > Timo Pietilä

    Of course, the heavy crossbow is a lot heavier. Depending on your STR, the
    difference in weight can be a major annoyance.

    Rangers of a certain level get an extra shot with bows, which you would be miss
    out on with a crossbow. Not a concern if you're playing a different class,
    though.

    It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
    be winching like crazy!
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    On 2005-06-15 23:54:07, awldune <awldune@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > On 2005-06-15 23:28:22, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Timo_Pietilä?=
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Cliff Stamp wrote:

    > > This is better. Multiplier is x5 while LBow has only x4 and to_dam is
    > > greater too.
    > >
    > > > Bolts also used to be less likely to break than arrows, but is has been a
    > > > few years since I played.
    > >
    > > + normal bolts are 1d5 while arrows are 1d4.
    > >
    > > Timo Pietilä
    >
    > Of course, the heavy crossbow is a lot heavier. Depending on your STR, the
    > difference in weight can be a major annoyance.
    >
    > Rangers of a certain level get an extra shot with bows, which you would be miss
    > out on with a crossbow. Not a concern if you're playing a different class,
    > though.
    >
    > It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
    > be winching like crazy!

    On the other hand, it isn't vastly less likely than 6 swings of a two-handed
    sword per turn :-)

    --
    Take Care,
    Graham

    Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
    Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
    C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
    players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
    the dungeon etc...)
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    In article <d8qbhi$1mci$1@news.vol.cz>, topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote:
    (snip)
    >> It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You
    > must
    >> be winching like crazy!
    >>
    >On the other hand, it isn't vastly less likely than 6 swings of a two-handed
    >sword per turn :-)

    Anyone that belieevs the standard rpg version of two handed swords being
    slow, needs to be on the receiving end of one.

    They are quicker than a single hander :) :)

    Bruce

    -------------------------------------
    - George Bernard Shaw
    - Ambrose Bierce

    (if there were any)
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Bruce Sinclair <bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz>
    wrote:

    > In article <d8qbhi$1mci$1@news.vol.cz>, topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote:
    > (snip)
    > >> It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You
    > > must
    > >> be winching like crazy!
    > >>
    > >On the other hand, it isn't vastly less likely than 6 swings of a two-handed
    > >sword per turn :-)
    >
    > Anyone that belieevs the standard rpg version of two handed swords being
    > slow, needs to be on the receiving end of one.
    >
    > They are quicker than a single hander :) :)

    And harder to control. It's the whole thing about a pendulum of a given
    weight and length having a specific cycle time. You're adding weight and
    length.

    I trained on a dai-to in aikido. You learn a horse-killing stroke in
    addition to the sword tactics to deal with human opponents. Try that
    with a one-handed sword!

    --
    Harry Erwin <http://www.theworld.com/~herwin>
    My neuroscience wikiwiki is at

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:54:07 +0000 (UTC), awldune
    <awldune@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
    >be winching like crazy!

    Depends on how long a turn is and what kind of crossbow it is. Given a
    ten second round and an offensive, battlefield crossbow (not the
    really heavy, take as long as you need to reload, kind you might use
    from behind fortifications), one/round is just about right. Why you
    can't get off two bowshots or sling shots in that time does become a
    question.

    --
    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com

    On 2005-06-17 08:36:22, R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:54:07 +0000 (UTC), awldune
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
    > >be winching like crazy!
    >
    > Depends on how long a turn is and what kind of crossbow it is. Given a
    > ten second round and an offensive, battlefield crossbow (not the
    > really heavy, take as long as you need to reload, kind you might use
    > from behind fortifications), one/round is just about right. Why you
    > can't get off two bowshots or sling shots in that time does become a
    > question.

    As does the early characters (certain race / class / stat combos withstanding)
    that can only manage one blow per turn with a Main Gauche.

    --
    Take Care,
    Graham

    Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
    Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
    C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
    players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
    the dungeon etc...)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    awldune wrote:
    > Of course, the heavy crossbow is a lot heavier. Depending on your STR, the
    > difference in weight can be a major annoyance.
    >
    > Rangers of a certain level get an extra shot with bows, which you would be miss
    > out on with a crossbow. Not a concern if you're playing a different class,
    > though.
    >
    > It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
    > be winching like crazy!

    I think I once read shooting a crossbow takes more energy, so in the
    end while you can shoot one every of your turns, the monsters get more
    turns relative to you. But I can't find it anymore. Odd.

    Lars T.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Moin,

    Am 22 Jun 2005 04:46:25 -0700, schrieb Lars.Traeger@epost.de:

    > I think I once read shooting a crossbow takes more energy, so in the
    > end while you can shoot one every of your turns, the monsters get more
    > turns relative to you. But I can't find it anymore. Odd.

    In Zangband (and probably some derivates) you get something like 0.6
    shots/round. You can see this at the 'C'haracter screen.

    Juergen
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

    Lars.Traeger@epost.de wrote:

    > I think I once read shooting a crossbow takes more energy, so in the
    > end while you can shoot one every of your turns, the monsters get more
    > turns relative to you. But I can't find it anymore. Odd.

    Only in some variants like zangband and IIRC sangband. In vanilla xbow
    is just as fast as bow.

    Timo Pietilä
  12. This topic has been closed by Pyree

Games Video Games