Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Longbow vs Crossbow which is better?

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:36:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Greetings All,

I have these items:

Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)

Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)

They are both the same type, I have read that HVY CB is suppose to be
the best one is this true?

Just asking....

Thanks for the help!

Paul C. Heisner

More about : longbow crossbow

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:32:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:

> Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)
>
> Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)
>
> They are both the same type, I have read that HVY CB is suppose to be
> the best one is this true?

Yes, just look at the total multiplier, plus in this case the crossbow has a
higher todam anyway, you will of course want to enchant up the to-hit.

Bolts also used to be less likely to break than arrows, but is has been a
few years since I played.


--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:28:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Cliff Stamp wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
>
>> Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)
>>
>> Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)

This is better. Multiplier is x5 while LBow has only x4 and to_dam is
greater too.

> Bolts also used to be less likely to break than arrows, but is has been a
> few years since I played.

+ normal bolts are 1d5 while arrows are 1d4.

Timo Pietilä
Related resources
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:28:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 2005-06-15 23:28:22, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Timo_Pietilä?=
<timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Cliff Stamp wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> >
> >> Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)
> >>
> >> Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)
>
> This is better. Multiplier is x5 while LBow has only x4 and to_dam is
> greater too.
>
> > Bolts also used to be less likely to break than arrows, but is has been a
> > few years since I played.
>
> + normal bolts are 1d5 while arrows are 1d4.
>
> Timo Pietilä

Of course, the heavy crossbow is a lot heavier. Depending on your STR, the
difference in weight can be a major annoyance.

Rangers of a certain level get an extra shot with bows, which you would be miss
out on with a crossbow. Not a concern if you're playing a different class,
though.

It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
be winching like crazy!
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:28:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 2005-06-15 23:54:07, awldune <awldune@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 2005-06-15 23:28:22, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Timo_Pietilä?=
> wrote:
>
> > Cliff Stamp wrote:
> > > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Paul & Victoria Heisner wrote:
> > >
> > >> Longbow of Extra Might (x3) (+11,+17) (+1)
> > >>
> > >> Heavy Crossbow of Extra Might (x4) (+5,+20) (+1)
> >
> > This is better. Multiplier is x5 while LBow has only x4 and to_dam is
> > greater too.
> >
> > > Bolts also used to be less likely to break than arrows, but is has been a
> > > few years since I played.
> >
> > + normal bolts are 1d5 while arrows are 1d4.
> >
> > Timo Pietilä
>
> Of course, the heavy crossbow is a lot heavier. Depending on your STR, the
> difference in weight can be a major annoyance.
>
> Rangers of a certain level get an extra shot with bows, which you would be miss
> out on with a crossbow. Not a concern if you're playing a different class,
> though.
>
> It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
> be winching like crazy!
>

On the other hand, it isn't vastly less likely than 6 swings of a two-handed
sword per turn :-)

--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:28:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

In article <d8qbhi$1mci$1@news.vol.cz>, topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote:
(snip)
>> It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You
> must
>> be winching like crazy!
>>
>On the other hand, it isn't vastly less likely than 6 swings of a two-handed
>sword per turn :-)

Anyone that belieevs the standard rpg version of two handed swords being
slow, needs to be on the receiving end of one.

They are quicker than a single hander :)  :) 



Bruce


-------------------------------------
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
- George Bernard Shaw
Cynic, n: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be.
- Ambrose Bierce

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 12:45:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Bruce Sinclair <bruce.sinclair@NOSPAMORELSEagresearch.NOTco.NOTnz>
wrote:

> In article <d8qbhi$1mci$1@news.vol.cz>, topazg <graham@blessyou.co.uk> wrote:
> (snip)
> >> It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You
> > must
> >> be winching like crazy!
> >>
> >On the other hand, it isn't vastly less likely than 6 swings of a two-handed
> >sword per turn :-)
>
> Anyone that belieevs the standard rpg version of two handed swords being
> slow, needs to be on the receiving end of one.
>
> They are quicker than a single hander :)  :) 

And harder to control. It's the whole thing about a pendulum of a given
weight and length having a specific cycle time. You're adding weight and
length.

I trained on a dai-to in aikido. You learn a horse-killing stroke in
addition to the sword tactics to deal with human opponents. Try that
with a one-handed sword!

--
Harry Erwin <http://www.theworld.com/~herwin&gt;
My neuroscience wikiwiki is at
<http://scat-he-g4.sunderland.ac.uk/~harryerw/phpwiki/in...;
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:36:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:54:07 +0000 (UTC), awldune
<awldune@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
>be winching like crazy!

Depends on how long a turn is and what kind of crossbow it is. Given a
ten second round and an offensive, battlefield crossbow (not the
really heavy, take as long as you need to reload, kind you might use
from behind fortifications), one/round is just about right. Why you
can't get off two bowshots or sling shots in that time does become a
question.

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:03:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 2005-06-17 08:36:22, R. Dan Henry <danhenry@inreach.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 21:54:07 +0000 (UTC), awldune
> wrote:
>
> >It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
> >be winching like crazy!
>
> Depends on how long a turn is and what kind of crossbow it is. Given a
> ten second round and an offensive, battlefield crossbow (not the
> really heavy, take as long as you need to reload, kind you might use
> from behind fortifications), one/round is just about right. Why you
> can't get off two bowshots or sling shots in that time does become a
> question.
>

As does the early characters (certain race / class / stat combos withstanding)
that can only manage one blow per turn with a Main Gauche.


--
Take Care,
Graham

Pos(0.3.0a2) Alpha "Natar" XX L:1 DL:50' !A R--- !Sp w:Short Sword +0,+0
Pos(V/T//NPP) W H- D+ c-- f PV+ s- TT? d P++ M+
C-- S+ I- So B ac GHB- SQ+ RQ+ V+ F:Better monster AI (Acting like decent
players without automatically knowing where the player is - randomly roaming
the dungeon etc...)
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:46:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

awldune wrote:
> Of course, the heavy crossbow is a lot heavier. Depending on your STR, the
> difference in weight can be a major annoyance.
>
> Rangers of a certain level get an extra shot with bows, which you would be miss
> out on with a crossbow. Not a concern if you're playing a different class,
> though.
>
> It has never felt right to me that you can fire a crossbow every turn. You must
> be winching like crazy!

I think I once read shooting a crossbow takes more energy, so in the
end while you can shoot one every of your turns, the monsters get more
turns relative to you. But I can't find it anymore. Odd.

Lars T.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 4:24:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Moin,

Am 22 Jun 2005 04:46:25 -0700, schrieb Lars.Traeger@epost.de:
>
> I think I once read shooting a crossbow takes more energy, so in the
> end while you can shoot one every of your turns, the monsters get more
> turns relative to you. But I can't find it anymore. Odd.

In Zangband (and probably some derivates) you get something like 0.6
shots/round. You can see this at the 'C'haracter screen.

Juergen
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 7:28:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Lars.Traeger@epost.de wrote:

> I think I once read shooting a crossbow takes more energy, so in the
> end while you can shoot one every of your turns, the monsters get more
> turns relative to you. But I can't find it anymore. Odd.

Only in some variants like zangband and IIRC sangband. In vanilla xbow
is just as fast as bow.

Timo Pietilä
January 17, 2012 3:48:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Pyree
!