Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on which monitor to get.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 27, 2012 10:41:28 PM

Hello all. I've used these forums to assist me in building my computer but I now need a monitor.

I've done a good bit of research and I know what I'm looking for: IPS panel with good blacks, low response time. My main uses will be for gaming, web browsing and some word processing. I play some FPS but nothing competitively or much online so I don't need a super low response time.

After looking online I've narrowed my choices to these:

Dell Refurbished UltraSharp U2312HM - $189
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/Invento...

ASUS VG Series VG23AH - $279
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There's obviously a large price difference but the Asus looks really good. I don't plan on using 3D, but the 2D is supposed to be excellent on the Asus (according to reviews).

So, if anyone has any input to help me narrow my choice I would very much appreciate it. Also, if anyone has either monitor and could attest to the black levels, that would be awesome. I know the knock on IPS panels is that their blacks can sometimes be more grey-ish. It's hard to tell which ones are good and which ones are not.

Thanks for any help.

More about : advice monitor

June 28, 2012 6:28:01 PM

This is my first post guys. Any help would be much appreciated. I just don't know which one to pull the trigger on. Thanks in advance!
m
l
June 30, 2012 9:34:44 AM

I had a similar decision and bought the Asus VG23AH in mid-June. I tend to keep things for a number of years and didn't like the fact that the Dell lacks HDMI. The Dell's response time was also slower (8 ms vs 5 ms for the Asus) and the the 3D is a nice bonus. The best review to date of the Asus is http://3dvision-blog.com/7861-review-of-the-23-inch-asu... . Prad.de reviewed the U2312HM.

Go see them in person if you can. I'm not too far from a Frys who set one up for me to look at. Their price was fine and I bought from them.
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2012 5:47:59 PM

Thank you Hillyerm. I was starting to think I wasn't going to get an answer haha.
I'm in the same boat as you, I want this purchase to last me a couple of years as well. I too have a Fry's close by so I'll check up on that.

You said you got the Asus, so may I ask how the blacks are? Are they true black or more grey? Also, how much calibration did you do to it? Thanks in advance!
m
l
July 1, 2012 6:16:48 AM

paranoidandroid1309 said:
Thank you hillyerm. I was starting to think I wasn't going to get an answer haha.
I'm in the same boat as you, I want this purchase to last me a couple of years as well. I too have a Fry's close by so I'll check up on that.

You said you got the Asus, so may I ask how the blacks are? Are they true black or more grey? Also, how much calibration did you do to it? Thanks in advance!

I'm pleased overall so far (good colors, fast action ok in game mode, no stuck pixels) but am not really an expert and haven't calibrated beyond switching between the different modes. In standard mode an all black screen is pretty black but not pitch black. The review I linked to above has some statements on black levels and the reviewer answers questions in the comments section.
m
l
!