--
Unangband L:C E+ T- R- P+ D-- G+(+) F:Sangband RL-- RLA-- W:F Q++
AI+(++) GFX++ SFX++ RN+++(+) PO++ Hp+++ Re--(+) S++ C- O* KG--

On 2005-06-17 00:42:44, Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria@free.fr> wrote:

> Andrew Doull wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just a brief observation after having played Sangband, then moved to
> > Zangband.
> >
> > The use of 'y' and much more importantly 'k' as important keys when moving
> > over objects is a really bad idea for people who use the roguelike key
> > set.
>
> Well, it is a very good idea for the others. The y/n/k autopickup prompt
> makes junk sorting much easier :) You can always turn off autopickup if you
> want.

I'm aware of why its there. I'm just saying its not very smart... since the 'k'
key also moves you up the screen, the functionality is a little... um...
overloaded.

Andrew

--

Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria@free.fr> writes:

>> Just a brief observation after having played Sangband, then moved to
>> Zangband.
>>
>> The use of 'y' and much more importantly 'k' as important keys when moving
>> over objects is a really bad idea for people who use the roguelike key
>> set.
>
> Well, it is a very good idea for the others. The y/n/k autopickup prompt
> makes junk sorting much easier :) You can always turn off autopickup if you
> want.

I think you missed the problem.

With autopickup on, on roguelike keys, if you are casually tapping keys
to get to an object, and you tap the key once too often, three of the
movement keys will do something at the pickup prompt. (In fact, if you
are moving up, you will just destroy the object.)

This can be really frustrating if you play on a laptop.

For those who do this: do you think an "uppercase only in roguelike"
patch would be sufficient?

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker | Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk
technical director 251 Liverpool Road |

Andrew Doull wrote:

> On 2005-06-17 00:42:44, Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria@free.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Andrew Doull wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Just a brief observation after having played Sangband, then moved to
>> > Zangband.
>> >
>> > The use of 'y' and much more importantly 'k' as important keys when
>> > moving over objects is a really bad idea for people who use the
>> > roguelike key set.
>>
>> Well, it is a very good idea for the others. The y/n/k autopickup prompt
>> makes junk sorting much easier :) You can always turn off autopickup if
>> you want.
>>

> I'm aware of why its there. I'm just saying its not very smart... since
> the 'k' key also moves you up the screen, the functionality is a little...
> um... overloaded.

As I said, you can always turn off autopickup until there is a solution.
Requiring pressing shift to confirm the question wouldn't be a perfect
solution since you could always do the same mistake while running in a
corridor.

We could also use a prompt like "d/p/x" but I don't think many people will
find that intuitive :)

In article <42b28896$0$4978$636a15ce@news.free.fr>,
Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria@free.fr> wrote:
>Andrew Doull wrote:
>
>> On 2005-06-17 00:42:44, Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria@free.fr>
>> wrote:

>>> Well, it is a very good idea for the others. The y/n/k autopickup prompt
>>> makes junk sorting much easier :) You can always turn off autopickup if
>>> you want.
>>>

>> I'm aware of why its there. I'm just saying its not very smart... since
>> the 'k' key also moves you up the screen, the functionality is a little...
>> um... overloaded.
>
>As I said, you can always turn off autopickup until there is a solution.
>Requiring pressing shift to confirm the question wouldn't be a perfect
>solution since you could always do the same mistake while running in a
>corridor.

You don't hit the run keys as quickly.
--
Julian Lighton jl8e@fragment.com
/* You are not expected to understand this. */