Dimension 8400 Questions

I am thinking of buying a new Dell 8400 but have a few questions before I
buy.

1) Under the CD-Rom/DVD Rom section there 10
different drives shown. I suspect the dual drives
would be best. I would be using it for Video editing
downloading music and backups.

2) I am not sure the difference between the ATA
hard drives and the Raid hard drives.

3) Also would I need the IEEE 1394 adapter?

4) Would it be better to buy some of the software offered by Dell or buy
the programs?

I am a senior citizen and a novice in computing and don't want to buy
something I wouldn't need.

Thanks for any helping subjections on these items.
david
25 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8400 questions

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 03:58:07 GMT, david wrote:

    > I am thinking of buying a new Dell 8400 but have a few questions before I
    > buy.
    >
    > 1) Under the CD-Rom/DVD Rom section there 10
    > different drives shown. I suspect the dual drives
    > would be best. I would be using it for Video editing
    > downloading music and backups.

    I just got the DVD-ROM and CD-RW drive since that was the cheapest
    combination. Once my 8400 arrived and worked good for a week, I swapped
    out the slower CD-RW drive with my Samsung 52x CD-RW drive so I could use
    the Nero software it came with. Didn't think I needed a DVD burner because
    I don't have that much stuff I need to burn to CD or DVD. :-)

    > 2) I am not sure the difference between the ATA
    > hard drives and the Raid hard drives.

    Well, RAID is a way of either helping ensure your data is backed up in case
    a drive fails, or a way to use multiple drives as one. There is IDE and
    Serial ATA hard drives now. The SATA drives are faster than the IDE drives
    and appear to be the way of the future. I had planned on moving one of the
    40GB drives from my old desktop to the Dell, but I'd need an IDE PCI card
    to do that since there is only the one IDE hookup on the motherboard and
    the CD/DVD drives have that taken.

    > 3) Also would I need the IEEE 1394 adapter?

    Only if you have stuff that uses Firewire. If you don't, I wouldn't bother
    with this since if you do get some Firewire stuff later, you can always add
    a PCI card in. Everything I have uses USB2 of which there are plenty of
    connectors on the 8400 for me. There are 2 in the front and 6 in the back.

    > 4) Would it be better to buy some of the software offered by Dell or buy
    > the programs?

    Depends on what you have already. I wasn't going to use Norton's so I got
    the McAfee software installed, but they sent the Norton's CD's so after I
    did my clean install of Windows XP without all the extra junk I don't use
    installed, I just installed Norton's stuff. I already had Office XP so
    didn't need to spend money on that either.

    > I am a senior citizen and a novice in computing and don't want to buy
    > something I wouldn't need.

    A lot depends on what you're going to use the computer for. Just doing
    email and surfing the Internet, you might not need an 8400. But if you're
    going to do some gaming then the 8400 is a nice machine. A tad pricey
    though, but I still got it cheaper in my Dell than if I had bought it in
    the store.

    I'm very happy with my 8400 so far. There is only one thing I find
    annoying and I think it's heat related problems. Sometimes, while playing
    games the monitor goes blank, I get no more sound, the computer locks up,
    and my monitor then acts like it's going to standby or something. Only way
    to fix it is to push the power button until the system turns off and turn
    it back on. So far, it only seems to happen when it's around 83F or higher
    in the room here. I thought maybe my graphics card was overheating, so I
    bought and installed a PCI slot fan right next to it. Still trying to spot
    any other patterns regarding this.

    Dave
    --
    We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

    US Army Signal Corps!
    www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > I'm very happy with my 8400 so far. There is only one thing I find
    > annoying and I think it's heat related problems. Sometimes, while playing
    > games the monitor goes blank, I get no more sound, the computer locks up,
    > and my monitor then acts like it's going to standby or something. Only
    way
    > to fix it is to push the power button until the system turns off and turn
    > it back on. So far, it only seems to happen when it's around 83F or
    higher
    > in the room here. I thought maybe my graphics card was overheating, so I
    > bought and installed a PCI slot fan right next to it. Still trying to
    spot
    > any other patterns regarding this.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

    Thanks David Casey for your quick and helpful reply.
    I do use the computer mostly for email and surfing the internet, but may do
    more
    later on that is the reason I thought the 8400 was the machine to buy.
    Is the Raid hard drives, two hard drives or one hard drive partitioned off?
    Also does Dell send out a CD with Microsoft's Windows XP or just a
    QuickRestore
    CD like a lot of the computer companies do now days?
    Thanks again david

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 05:28:14 GMT, david wrote:

    > Thanks David Casey for your quick and helpful reply.

    You're welcome.

    > I do use the computer mostly for email and surfing the internet, but may do
    > more
    > later on that is the reason I thought the 8400 was the machine to buy.
    > Is the Raid hard drives, two hard drives or one hard drive partitioned off?

    It depends on how you want to set it up. There are different types of RAID
    setups depending on what you need it for. For everyday use, you don't
    really need a RAID setup, but they include it in the 8400 for some reason.
    But just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. :-)

    This site seems to explain it okay. There are different RAID levels, just
    click on the numbers at the top of the page to go through the different
    levels. RAID arrays are more suited for someone running a server since you
    need assurance your data won't disappear if a hard drive fails.

    http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

    > Also does Dell send out a CD with Microsoft's Windows XP or just a
    > QuickRestore CD like a lot of the computer companies do now days?

    You get an actual Windows XP CD only it has Dell's color scheme on it. You
    also get all the drivers and other stuff that Dell installs on separate
    CD's so you can pick and choose what you want to put on your system if you
    do what most folks do and perform a clean install of the OS when you get
    it.

    > Thanks again david

    You bet.

    Dave
    --

    "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote in message
    >I am thinking of buying a new Dell 8400 but have a few questions before I
    > buy.
    >
    > 1) Under the CD-Rom/DVD Rom section there 10
    > different drives shown. I suspect the dual drives
    > would be best. I would be using it for Video editing
    > downloading music and backups.

    I would suggest an 8x DVD+RW recorder. Video requires a massive amount of
    storage and a DVD+RW recorder is a must. That way you can send your friends
    and family your home videos on DVD>

    > 2) I am not sure the difference between the ATA
    > hard drives and the Raid hard drives.
    You no not need a worry about raid. Just get a large SATA drive.

    > 3) Also would I need the IEEE 1394 adapter?

    If you have a MiniDV camcorder, you will need a IEEE1394 (firewire)
    connection. Get the Audigy 2 sound card because it has a firewire
    connection.

    > 4) Would it be better to buy some of the software offered by Dell or buy
    > the programs?

    Buy the software you plan to use separately. That way you will get software
    support from the manufacturer. Dell provides very poor software support.

    > I am a senior citizen and a novice in computing and don't want to buy
    > something I wouldn't need.

    Either the 4700 or the 8400 will meet your needs. The price difference is
    small. Make sure you do not get integrated graphics. At a minimum, get the
    128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE video card and
    get lots of memory. 1 GB of memory is best for video editing.

    > Thanks for any helping subjections on these items.
    > david

    I would add to this the media for the DVD+RW has come down in price in the
    last year.

    > On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 05:28:14 GMT, david wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks David Casey for your quick and helpful reply.
    >
    > You're welcome.
    >
    > > I do use the computer mostly for email and surfing the internet, but may
    do
    > > more
    > > later on that is the reason I thought the 8400 was the machine to buy.
    > > Is the Raid hard drives, two hard drives or one hard drive partitioned
    off?

    > It depends on how you want to set it up. There are different types of
    RAID
    > setups depending on what you need it for. For everyday use, you don't
    > really need a RAID setup, but they include it in the 8400 for some reason.
    > But just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. :-)
    >
    > This site seems to explain it okay. There are different RAID levels, just
    > click on the numbers at the top of the page to go through the different
    > levels. RAID arrays are more suited for someone running a server since
    you
    > need assurance your data won't disappear if a hard drive fails.
    >
    > http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html
    >
    > > Also does Dell send out a CD with Microsoft's Windows XP or just a
    > > QuickRestore CD like a lot of the computer companies do now days?
    >
    > You get an actual Windows XP CD only it has Dell's color scheme on it.
    You
    > also get all the drivers and other stuff that Dell installs on separate
    > CD's so you can pick and choose what you want to put on your system if you
    > do what most folks do and perform a clean install of the OS when you get
    > it.
    >
    > > Thanks again david
    >
    > You bet.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.
    >
    > US Army Signal Corps!
    > www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Thanks again David Casey for you quick and helpful reply. I am now getting a
    better understanding
    of what I need to order.
    david

    > "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote in message
    > >I am thinking of buying a new Dell 8400 but have a few questions before I
    > > buy.
    > >
    > > 1) Under the CD-Rom/DVD Rom section there 10
    > > different drives shown. I suspect the dual drives
    > > would be best. I would be using it for Video editing
    > > downloading music and backups.
    >
    > I would suggest an 8x DVD+RW recorder. Video requires a massive amount of
    > storage and a DVD+RW recorder is a must. That way you can send your
    friends
    > and family your home videos on DVD>
    >
    > > 2) I am not sure the difference between the ATA
    > > hard drives and the Raid hard drives.
    > You no not need a worry about raid. Just get a large SATA drive.
    >
    > > 3) Also would I need the IEEE 1394 adapter?
    >
    > If you have a MiniDV camcorder, you will need a IEEE1394 (firewire)
    > connection. Get the Audigy 2 sound card because it has a firewire
    > connection.
    >

    > > 4) Would it be better to buy some of the software offered by Dell or buy
    > > the programs?
    >
    > Buy the software you plan to use separately. That way you will get
    software
    > support from the manufacturer. Dell provides very poor software support.
    >
    > > I am a senior citizen and a novice in computing and don't want to buy
    > > something I wouldn't need.
    >
    > Either the 4700 or the 8400 will meet your needs. The price difference is
    > small. Make sure you do not get integrated graphics. At a minimum, get
    the
    > 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE video card and
    > get lots of memory. 1 GB of memory is best for video editing.
    >

    > > Thanks for any helping subjections on these items.
    > > david

    Thanks WSZsr for you helpful reply.
    Would you recommend the single 8xDVD+RW or the
    Dual Drives 16xDVD-Rom Drive + 8xDVD+RW Drive or
    48x CD-RW Drive + 8xDVD+RW Drive?
    david

    My choice would be: Dual Drives 16xDVD-Rom Drive + 8xDVD+RW Drive

    "david" <chevie40no-spam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am thinking of buying a new Dell 8400 but have a few questions before
    >> > buy.
    >> >
    >> > 1) Under the CD-Rom/DVD Rom section there 10
    >> > different drives shown. I suspect the dual drives
    >> > would be best. I would be using it for Video editing
    >> > downloading music and backups.
    >>
    >> I would suggest an 8x DVD+RW recorder. Video requires a massive amount
    >> of
    >> storage and a DVD+RW recorder is a must. That way you can send your
    > friends
    >> and family your home videos on DVD>
    >>
    >> > 2) I am not sure the difference between the ATA
    >> > hard drives and the Raid hard drives.
    >> You no not need a worry about raid. Just get a large SATA drive.
    >>
    >> > 3) Also would I need the IEEE 1394 adapter?
    >>
    >> If you have a MiniDV camcorder, you will need a IEEE1394 (firewire)
    >> connection. Get the Audigy 2 sound card because it has a firewire
    >> connection.
    >>

    >> > 4) Would it be better to buy some of the software offered by Dell or
    >> > buy
    >> > the programs?
    >>
    >> Buy the software you plan to use separately. That way you will get
    > software
    >> support from the manufacturer. Dell provides very poor software support.
    >>
    >> > I am a senior citizen and a novice in computing and don't want to buy
    >> > something I wouldn't need.
    >>
    >> Either the 4700 or the 8400 will meet your needs. The price difference
    >> is
    >> small. Make sure you do not get integrated graphics. At a minimum, get
    > the
    >> 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE video card
    >> and
    >> get lots of memory. 1 GB of memory is best for video editing.
    >>

    >> > Thanks for any helping subjections on these items.
    >> > david
    >> >

    > Thanks WSZsr for you helpful reply.
    > Would you recommend the single 8xDVD+RW or the
    > Dual Drives 16xDVD-Rom Drive + 8xDVD+RW Drive or
    > 48x CD-RW Drive + 8xDVD+RW Drive?
    > david

    Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. I just about
    have what I want or need for the computer.
    david

    > My choice would be: Dual Drives 16xDVD-Rom Drive + 8xDVD+RW Drive
    >
    > "david" <chevie40no-spam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "david" <anoname@att.com> wrote in message

    > >> I would suggest an 8x DVD+RW recorder. Video requires a massive amount
    > >> of
    > >> storage and a DVD+RW recorder is a must. That way you can send your
    > > friends
    > >> and family your home videos on DVD>

    > >> You no not need a worry about raid. Just get a large SATA drive.

    > >> If you have a MiniDV camcorder, you will need a IEEE1394 (firewire)
    > >> connection. Get the Audigy 2 sound card because it has a firewire
    > >> connection.

    > >> Buy the software you plan to use separately. That way you will get
    > > software
    > >> support from the manufacturer. Dell provides very poor software
    support.

    > >> Either the 4700 or the 8400 will meet your needs. The price difference
    > >> is
    > >> small. Make sure you do not get integrated graphics. At a minimum,
    get
    > > the
    > >> 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE video card
    > >> and
    > >> get lots of memory. 1 GB of memory is best for video editing.

    > > Thanks WSZsr for you helpful reply.
    > > Would you recommend the single 8xDVD+RW or the
    > > Dual Drives 16xDVD-Rom Drive + 8xDVD+RW Drive or
    > > 48x CD-RW Drive + 8xDVD+RW Drive?
    > > david

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 22:15:20 -0600, David Casey
> [...]

    >email and surfing the Internet, you might not need an 8400. But if you're
    >going to do some gaming then the 8400 is a nice machine. A tad pricey
    >though, but I still got it cheaper in my Dell than if I had bought it in
    >the store.
    >
    >I'm very happy with my 8400 so far. There is only one thing I find
    >annoying and I think it's heat related problems. Sometimes, while playing
    >games the monitor goes blank, I get no more sound, the computer locks up,
    >and my monitor then acts like it's going to standby or something. Only way
    >to fix it is to push the power button until the system turns off and turn
    >it back on. So far, it only seems to happen when it's around 83F or higher
    >in the room here. I thought maybe my graphics card was overheating, so I
    >bought and installed a PCI slot fan right next to it. Still trying to spot

    Hi Dave:
    My 8400 is due in today. I plan to pull the dvd reader card and
    replace it with my Plextor dvdr PX 712a. I'm curious about the blank
    monitor problem-what video card are you using and does it come with a
    fan card? I know some people with the RadeonX800 are having the same
    problem as you( when playing games) because these graphic cards
    generate mucho heat which has to be dissipated by the fan.
    btw: Thanks for your service to your country-in my lifetime I have
    never seen the people in the Armed Services as popular as they are
    today, and deservedly so.

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:03:48 GMT, Bouillabaisse 4 wrote:

    > My 8400 is due in today. I plan to pull the dvd reader card and
    > replace it with my Plextor dvdr PX 712a. I'm curious about the blank
    > monitor problem-what video card are you using and does it come with a
    > fan card? I know some people with the RadeonX800 are having the same
    > problem as you( when playing games) because these graphic cards
    > generate mucho heat which has to be dissipated by the fan.

    The x800 has a built in fan and I had read somewhere on the Dell forums
    that there was supposed to be a PCI card fan installed next to the graphics
    card, but mine didn't have one and neither did any of the other 8400 owners
    who were on the Dell forum. I went out and bought a PCI card fan and
    placed it next to my graphics card, but it hasn't helped with the lockup
    problems. It appears to be a problem many of the 8400 owners are having
    and I'm hoping Dell is working on a fix for it. Keep up on the Dell forums
    for any new updates on the problem specifically the Video and Gaming ones.

    I still think it could be heat causing the problems with my lockups since
    the only time it happens is when playing games or with the card settings
    turned up high. My best 3dmark03 score is 12089. I tried running 3dmark03
    with the Overdrive turned on, but it locks up halfway through.

    > btw: Thanks for your service to your country-in my lifetime I have
    > never seen the people in the Armed Services as popular as they are
    > today, and deservedly so.

    Thanks! I finished up 12 years and got out last January but am tossing
    around the idea of going back into my local Guard unit next year once I get
    back into shape. I miss being in uniform a lot. It really is the best job
    I've ever had. :-)

    Dave
    --

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:03:48 GMT, Bouillabaisse 4 wrote:
    >
    >> My 8400 is due in today. I plan to pull the dvd reader card and
    >> replace it with my Plextor dvdr PX 712a. I'm curious about the blank
    >> monitor problem-what video card are you using and does it come with a
    >> fan card? I know some people with the RadeonX800 are having the same
    >> problem as you( when playing games) because these graphic cards
    >> generate mucho heat which has to be dissipated by the fan.
    >
    > The x800 has a built in fan and I had read somewhere on the Dell forums
    > that there was supposed to be a PCI card fan installed next to the
    > graphics
    > card, but mine didn't have one and neither did any of the other 8400
    > owners
    > who were on the Dell forum. I went out and bought a PCI card fan and
    > placed it next to my graphics card, but it hasn't helped with the lockup
    > problems. It appears to be a problem many of the 8400 owners are having
    > and I'm hoping Dell is working on a fix for it. Keep up on the Dell
    > forums
    > for any new updates on the problem specifically the Video and Gaming ones.

    <snip>

    Have a look at the link (or your owner's manual).

    Lots of confusion about this mysterious "card fan" Dell recommends for PCI
    express graphics cards "that run higher than 75W". This appears to be a
    reference for anyone upgrading their graphics card with a third-party card
    (imo). Pages 88, 89, and 122 of the owner's manual have a small amount of
    info.on this "card fan", a graphic as to where and how it is to be
    installed, and instructions allegedly on P.122 about how to obtain said fan.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/en/om/H3182a00.pdf

    While that is well and good, no one (that I've read) in the forums has seen
    one, including a poster who said Dell spare parts and tech support had no
    idea what he was asking for in attempting to purchase one. I've seen a few
    8400's, most with the x300 card, a few with the x800 (fanned) Radeon, but
    none with the "card fan".

    It would be safe to assume that if the Dell version x800 needed the "card
    fan" referred to in the link, they would put it in the system when bought.
    None of the x800 systems I've seen have this fan.

    Stew

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:40:08 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:

    > It would be safe to assume that if the Dell version x800 needed the "card
    > fan" referred to in the link, they would put it in the system when bought.
    > None of the x800 systems I've seen have this fan.

    I agree, if it was truly needed it would be there. I put one in anyway and
    my graphics card temperature dropped a few degrees. Not much, but every
    little bit helps especially since here in New Mexico they're just now
    figuring out that a swamp cooler which uses hundreds of gallons of water
    per day isn't so smart when you live in the desert. The room where my
    computer is in gets up in the mid-80's during the day. I finally went out
    and bought a window mounted AC unit to help keep the temp down in the 70's
    during the hottest part of the day.

    Still getting those lockups, though.

    Dave
    --

    David Casey wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:40:08 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> It would be safe to assume that if the Dell version x800 needed the "card
    >> fan" referred to in the link, they would put it in the system when bought.
    >> None of the x800 systems I've seen have this fan.
    >
    > I agree, if it was truly needed it would be there. I put one in anyway and
    > my graphics card temperature dropped a few degrees. Not much, but every
    > little bit helps especially since here in New Mexico they're just now
    > figuring out that a swamp cooler which uses hundreds of gallons of water
    > per day isn't so smart when you live in the desert. The room where my
    > computer is in gets up in the mid-80's during the day. I finally went out
    > and bought a window mounted AC unit to help keep the temp down in the 70's
    > during the hottest part of the day.
    >
    > Still getting those lockups, though.
    >
    > Dave

    Guess i tuned in late here...if you've contacted Dell, what does Dell
    say about the lockups?

    --
    "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
    Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:39:03 -0400, Harry Krause wrote:

    >> I agree, if it was truly needed it would be there. I put one in anyway and
    >> my graphics card temperature dropped a few degrees. Not much, but every
    >> little bit helps especially since here in New Mexico they're just now
    >> figuring out that a swamp cooler which uses hundreds of gallons of water
    >> per day isn't so smart when you live in the desert. The room where my
    >> computer is in gets up in the mid-80's during the day. I finally went out
    >> and bought a window mounted AC unit to help keep the temp down in the 70's
    >> during the hottest part of the day.
    >>
    >> Still getting those lockups, though.
    >
    > Guess i tuned in late here...if you've contacted Dell, what does Dell
    > say about the lockups?

    I haven't actually gone so far as to contact Dell since it only happens
    every so often and not enough for me to spend hours on tech support with
    someone going down their "check to make sure they plugged in their monitor"
    list. Some of the people on the Dell forums said Dell is sending them a
    new computer, one of them was getting theirs later today so I'm waiting to
    see what happens with theirs.

    On the Dell gaming forum, one of the Dell support people wanted anyone who
    had an 8400 and an x800 card to send in their service ID if they were
    having lockup problems.

    Dave
    --

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:40:08 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> It would be safe to assume that if the Dell version x800 needed the "card
    >> fan" referred to in the link, they would put it in the system when
    >> bought.
    >> None of the x800 systems I've seen have this fan.
    >
    > I agree, if it was truly needed it would be there. I put one in anyway
    > and
    > my graphics card temperature dropped a few degrees. Not much, but every
    > little bit helps especially since here in New Mexico they're just now
    > figuring out that a swamp cooler which uses hundreds of gallons of water
    > per day isn't so smart when you live in the desert. The room where my
    > computer is in gets up in the mid-80's during the day. I finally went out
    > and bought a window mounted AC unit to help keep the temp down in the 70's
    > during the hottest part of the day.
    >
    > Still getting those lockups, though.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

    <snip>

    Dave,

    But you're trying the PCI slot fans, correct -?- exhausting air from
    directly over the PCI video card?

    If you've got an ambient (room to case) air problem, I'd expect that your
    stock CPU fan would run WAO ('wide a** open') virtually all of the time
    during midday.

    Shame there's not a spare drive available with which to sacrifice a token
    clean OS install to see if the problem continues. Obviously, there's no good
    reason for the machine to lock up with anything that's thrown at it -
    provided the hardware is sound and there are no driver or DX/other software
    conflicts....

    Stew

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:51:13 -0600, David Casey wrote:

    > I updated to Directx9.0c and just installed Windows XP SP2 so I'm going to
    > put the graphics card on maximum performance, turn on the Overdrive, and
    > run 3dMark03. It locked up before when trying that. We'll see what
    > happens.

    It locks up still.

    Dave
    --

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:51:13 -0600, David Casey wrote:
    >
    >> I updated to Directx9.0c and just installed Windows XP SP2 so I'm going
    >> put the graphics card on maximum performance, turn on the Overdrive, and
    >> run 3dMark03. It locked up before when trying that. We'll see what
    >> happens.
    >
    > It locks up still.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.
    >
    > US Army Signal Corps!
    > www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Dave,

    Are there any new Catalyst drivers out for your card? (I honestly don't
    know, since it's PCI 16x). You might try this and create a system restore
    point before doing so. That way you can either "roll back" the driver or
    simply perform a system restore.

    If the fan were WAO, you'd know it, trust me. That fan can generate some
    serious airflow/cfm's when running 1800rpms+.

    This (along with your PCI exhaust fan) suggests to me that heat isn't the
    issue, but that either software/drivers or hardware may be...

    Keep us posted.

    Stew

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:51:40 -0500, S.Lewis wrote:

    > Dave,
    >
    > Are there any new Catalyst drivers out for your card? (I honestly don't
    > know, since it's PCI 16x). You might try this and create a system restore
    > point before doing so. That way you can either "roll back" the driver or
    > simply perform a system restore.

    I have 4.7 which is the most recent on the ATI website. On the Dell forums
    they suggest using 4.9 beta drivers, but haven't given those a try yet. I
    did try the Omega drivers, but still had lockups then.

    > If the fan were WAO, you'd know it, trust me. That fan can generate some
    > serious airflow/cfm's when running 1800rpms+.

    I can hear it more than usual, so it's surely chugging along more than
    normal. It goes for about 5 minutes before I get the lock up.

    > This (along with your PCI exhaust fan) suggests to me that heat isn't the
    > issue, but that either software/drivers or hardware may be...

    I doubt it's the heat, too. Right after I get back into Windows after the
    reboot, I checked the temperature of the graphics card and it was 54C.
    That's not too bad if you ask me, but I suppose it's possible it could have
    cooled down some in between me holding down the power button for a bit and
    restarting.

    > Keep us posted.

    I'm trying to avoid Dell's phone tech support since I dislike being treated
    like someone who has never used Windows or a computer before but it might
    come to that to build up the "paper" trail. I posted to Dell's Dimension
    Video forum to hopefully get on their radar that there is someone else with
    the same problem the others are having. The auto-reply I got from emailing
    Dell technical support was useless.

    Dave
    --
    We are the US military. Your asses will be kicked. Resistance is futile.

    US Army Signal Corps!
    www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    I formatted and reinstalled XP the day I received my 8400. I have been
    using ATI 4.9 beta (optimized for Doom 3) and have never had a lockup. I
    formatted and reinstalled with XP slipstreamed RTM version of SP2 today.
    SP2 recognized the new Intel chipset so I didn't need to install the chipset
    software. Everything seems solid. Doom 3 rocks!

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 02:27:31 GMT, WSZsr wrote:

    > I formatted and reinstalled XP the day I received my 8400. I have been
    > using ATI 4.9 beta (optimized for Doom 3) and have never had a lockup. I
    > formatted and reinstalled with XP slipstreamed RTM version of SP2 today.
    > SP2 recognized the new Intel chipset so I didn't need to install the chipset
    > software. Everything seems solid. Doom 3 rocks!

    I had also reinstalled Windows XP the day I got my 8400. I'll go ahead and
    give the 4.9 drivers a shot. I played Doom3 without any lockup problems,
    though. I seem to only get the lockups when I have the graphics card set
    to the maximum performance settings and since I don't normally leave them
    there (just to get a 3dMark03 score), it's not a major problem for me right
    now.

    Okay, off to grab the 4.9 drivers.

    Dave
    --

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:35:12 -0600, David Casey wrote:

    > Okay, off to grab the 4.9 drivers.

    It worked!

    After installing the 4.9 beta drivers, I ran 3dMark03 with the overdrive
    turned off and all the card settings tuned for performance. I got a score
    of 10311. Then I left the settings on performance and turned the Overdrive
    on and ran 3dMark03 again. Usually it locks up about halfway through, but
    this time it made it all the way without so much as a slowdown. I only got
    a score of 10317, so it wasn't much higher but I was just happy there was
    no lockup.

    So, we'll see how it handles some games tomorrow.

    Dave
    --

    > Yes, the fan is right on top of the video card and pulling air from the
    > graphics card and pushing it out the back.

    But if its pulling air from the video card, I can't really see how that
    is actually helping. Wouldn't it help if the fan was mounted so that it
    is blowing ON the video card? Wouldn't that help cool the card?
    Like blowing on a cup of coffee to cool it?

    I have a Geforce fx5900 with a top mounted fan..in a Dell P4 2ghz,8200;
    with 768 Ram.

    Not sure, but it may be mounted the same way.
    Runs quiet..and smooth..and not one lockup.
    Have it nestled in a Roll-Top desk.
    And thats with an additional 120 Maxtor harddrive, two DVD drives, and an
    HP scanner to boot. On factory power supply.

    Plays Doom3 like a charm.
    jeff

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:02:06 GMT, Jeff Albright wrote:

    >> Yes, the fan is right on top of the video card and pulling air from the
    >> graphics card and pushing it out the back.
    >
    > But if its pulling air from the video card, I can't really see how that
    > is actually helping. Wouldn't it help if the fan was mounted so that it
    > is blowing ON the video card? Wouldn't that help cool the card?
    > Like blowing on a cup of coffee to cool it?

    I've seen a lot of different opinions on this topic. Whether a fan should
    push or pull air from what it's trying to cool. In my old home-built
    machine I just messed with the fans until I got my temperatures down to
    where I felt comfortable.

    I believe the fan on the graphics card is pulling air from the card (and
    through the holes on the heat sink) and pushing it out. I could feel air
    flow from it when I fired up the system and placed my hand over the fan.
    So, hopefully, the PCI fan card is taking this hot and and pushing it out
    the back of the computer.

    > I have a Geforce fx5900 with a top mounted fan..in a Dell P4 2ghz,8200;
    > with 768 Ram.
    >
    > Not sure, but it may be mounted the same way.
    > Runs quiet..and smooth..and not one lockup.
    > Have it nestled in a Roll-Top desk.
    > And thats with an additional 120 Maxtor harddrive, two DVD drives, and an
    > HP scanner to boot. On factory power supply.

    I had my old desktop in a closed space where I would open the door to when
    I was using the machine, but as summer approached and the inside
    temperatures in my house rose, I decided to place it next to the desk close
    to the floor. It kept it cooler that way. In the room I have my computer
    in now it will get up to about 83F during the day if I don't fire up the
    window mounted AC I finally went out and bought. While the evaporative
    cooler helps some, this room just doesn't get enough air flow to keep it
    down in the 70's like the rest of the house.

    > Plays Doom3 like a charm.

    While using the latest Omega drivers I didn't have any major problems with
    Doom3 either. Smooth graphics, nice visuals, etc. I did get a lockup or
    two after playing it for a while, but there didn't seem to be any pattern
    since I was able to later play longer without any lockups.

    The only time I could guarantee a lockup was running 3dMark03 with the
    Overdrive turned on. With the 4.9 beta drivers, no more lockups there and
    I was finally able to make it all the way through the benchmarks *with the
    Overdrive turned on*. It only added a few more points to my score, so I
    just leave it off.

    Dave
    --

    "Jeff Albright" <Albright@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in
    >
    >> Yes, the fan is right on top of the video card and pulling air from the
    >> graphics card and pushing it out the back.
    >>

    > But if its pulling air from the video card, I can't really see how that
    > is actually helping. Wouldn't it help if the fan was mounted so that it
    > is blowing ON the video card? Wouldn't that help cool the card?
    > Like blowing on a cup of coffee to cool it?

    <snip>

    No. Pulling intake air IN and blowing it directly ONto the video card would
    be like two box fans running face to face in one's home - a lot of
    turbulence and nothing or none leaving the area or case -not very effective.
    The video card fan is blowing out, or pulling air through the GPU heatsink
    and exhausting it downward (toward the PCI slots).

    So, in theory, the GPU fan blows downward, and his added fan is pulling
    (hopefully some or most of that hot air)and exhausting same out of the case
    entirely.

    Stew

Dell Dimension Hard Drives Computers