Trying to add HD & migrate from W2k HD to XP ..?

dbota

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I have a balky w2k that will only boot to safe mode and it's time to upgrade anyway so I set the w2k NTFS drive to slave and installed a new drive as master. I thought once I got XP going on the new drive, I would just drag my files over from the old drive.

So, I booted to the XP Install CD and NTFS formatted the new drive and installed XP. When I was personalizing XP, I noticed it wouldn't let me use the logon I usually use (on w2k) and when I booted into XP the first time and checked out the drives, I found that the slave w2k drive was C and although XP was running, the new XP "master" drive was F or some such. Although I was able to to logoff the initial personal XP logon, it gave me no way to logon to Administrator etc.

Obviously, there is a security and permissions thing going on. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to accomplish what I want? XP as C: with control over security, permissions etc and able to drag my files over from the old w2k drive?

(I may eventually discard the old w2k drive ... I'm not sure about that yet...)

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
do the install again, with the W2K drive disconnected. Once the install is complete, then hook it up as slave.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>