c800A w/ Abit BX6rev2

G

Does anyone know.
I would like to upgrade my cpu from c400 to c800A running with a 100 MHz FSB.
I own an ABIT BX6 rev 2 mainboard. Although there are bios patches for p3 cpus used with this m/b there is nothing for c700+ (66 FSB) or c800 yet at the abit web site.
I have emailed Abit but they wont reply.
Does anybody have experience in this area or tried the c800a on the Abit BX6r2 yet. With Intels price drop this cpu seems like a cheap upgrade option.
P.S How does the c800A at 100 FSB compare to the p3800 at 100 FSB?

Thanks

G

I never used that type of motherboard before, so I dont know all the specs (such as Multipliers). But your BX Chipset should run the Celeron 800. Another question, is that Motherboard a Slot one? You might have to get a converter card. Also check if your MB sports a 8x multiplier for the Cel.

Make sure you get a Converter card which can regulate the voltage in case you're motherboard cant provide the correct voltage.

I am running my self a P3 800EB (133FSB) on a BX Chipset appart from the trouble that I had with the AGP bus I had no troubles.. since you'd be running the FSB at 100 everything should be on spec.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it supports the PIII FC-PGA, it should the Celron FC-PGA. I can't think of why they would put a limit to the automatic multiplier detection in BIOS. But for the price of high-speed Celerons, you might as well get a PIII.

Suicide is painless...........