[Heng] Weapon choice

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 19, 2005 8:46:50 PM

I've started a warrior in Heng, and decided to turn on autoscumming for a
change. This resulted in me finding a nice Diamond Edge on dlev 19, which has
been my main weapon for a while (2nd time I found one, first time with a char
that actually has some use for it ^^). Now I've just found Calris somewhere,
enchanted it up, and wondered which would be better?

The stats:
Diamond Edge (7d5) (+9, +9), 15.0 lb (was +10, +10 before meeting Hagen :p ).
Diamond Edges are Vorpal weapons. I get 3 blows with it.

the Bastard Sword 'Calris' (5d4) (+6, +20) (+5 CON), rDisenchant, Aggravate. But
slays Dragons, Trolls, Demons, Evil, and Humans. Also gives 3 blows.

IIRC, 'normal' vorpal weapons get a 1 in 6 chance of double damage, and if they
do they get additional chances to multiply the damage even more.
The slays on calris are x2 for evil, x2.5 for humans, x3 for trolls and demons,
and x5 for dragons.

I never really got into melee calculations as i don't play warrior types that
often, but is the following correct (calculations for 1 blow as i get the same
nr of blows)?
Diamond Edge: avg of 7*3 +9 = 30 damage
Calris does (5 * 2.5 * slay) + 20 = 32.5 damage (for no slay), 45/51/57/82 (for
respective slays)

If it is, I probably want to choose Calris (don't really care about the
aggravation just now as my stealth is 'Poor' anyway), but I don't know how to
get criticals and vorpal hits into the calculation and if it would make a big
difference... Any thoughts?

TIA,

--
Mars

Of course there is no formula for success except perhaps an unconditional
acceptance of the RNG and what it brings.

More about : heng weapon choice

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:40:15 AM

Mars <mars_the_trader@hotmail.com> writes:

> If it is, I probably want to choose Calris (don't really care about the
> aggravation just now as my stealth is 'Poor' anyway), but I don't know how to
> get criticals and vorpal hits into the calculation and if it would make a big
> difference... Any thoughts?

I would consider the vorpal to be an additional 1/6 to damage. It
depends how Heng does the criticals -- do they multiply base dice or
total? I would guess base dice.

So for a weapon that has base dice averaging 12, and is vorpal, I
would just consider it as having base dice averaging 14 and then go
through the rest of the calculations the usual way from there.

Eddie
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 2:35:24 PM

Mars <mars_the_trader@hotmail.com> writes:

> On 2005-06-20 08:40:15, Eddie Grove <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote:
>> I would consider the vorpal to be an additional 1/6 to damage. It
>> depends how Heng does the criticals -- do they multiply base dice or
>> total? I would guess base dice.
> Only base dice and slays are multiplied by Vorpal blows. As the diamond edge has
> no slays, the 7d5 would yield (avg) 21 + 1/6 * 21 + 1/24 * 21 + 1/96 * 21... and

That looks like a geometric series, so 1/6 * (1/(1-1/4)) = 2/9 if you
care. But don't forget you can get crits with a non-vorpal so you
have to subtract that out for comparison purposes. I always just
stuck with 1/6 for simplicity.

> What do you mean with ' the rest of the calculations'? Are there things I

Adjust the dice before slays and brands.

Eddie
June 20, 2005 6:15:15 PM

On 2005-06-20 08:40:15, Eddie Grove <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote:
> I would consider the vorpal to be an additional 1/6 to damage. It
> depends how Heng does the criticals -- do they multiply base dice or
> total? I would guess base dice.
Only base dice and slays are multiplied by Vorpal blows. As the diamond edge has
no slays, the 7d5 would yield (avg) 21 + 1/6 * 21 + 1/24 * 21 + 1/96 * 21... and
so on (I checked the source, there is no limit to the multiplication). I'd solve
that the right math way but my math knowledge on that subject is a little dusty,
anyway my calculator says it approximates 25.7 damage. Or is it 21 + (1/6 * 42)
+ (1/24 * 63) ..? Stuff like this always confuses me :) .

> So for a weapon that has base dice averaging 12, and is vorpal, I
> would just consider it as having base dice averaging 14 and then go
> through the rest of the calculations the usual way from there.
> Eddie
What do you mean with ' the rest of the calculations'? Are there things I
forgot? Criticals maybe? Now we're at it, while taking a peek through the
source i think I saw some line concerning edged weapons and critical hits. Not
sure if they get em (some japanese terms making it a bit harder to read :p ).

ANyway, with ~34.7 damage per blow from the DE, and 32.5 from Calris (no slay).
I guess the evil/human/troll/demon/dragon population is large enough to justify
wielding Calris.

Thanks!
--

!