Athlon Copper or Aluminum core?

G

Just got an 850 and trying to determine if it is a copper or aluminum core, so i can get a handle on how much i can overclock this thing. Here are the details off the chip:

ASSEMBLED IN MALAYSIA
AMD Athlon
A0850AMT3B
AFFA0041XPBW

G

i think i just answered my own question with a little more investigation. i see from an older article of tom's that the Dresden (fab30) chips (the copper ones) have a blue-ish tint to them. Mine does and looks a lot more like the blue one than the green one in the article. hopefully, i'll get this thing past a gig.

<C>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yep. It's amazing what you can find when you search. :)

But I'm curious as to which is officially the color of the copper one. THG has said that blue is the copper one. But so many other people in posts here have said that green is the copper one.

I can understand why people would associate the color green with copper. But THG says that the copper ones are actually the blue ones.

So which is it? :) I'm inclined to trust THG. But it'd be interesting to hear people's reasoning behind it being otherwise.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yep blue ones are copper. Oddly I too thought the green ones were copper, thats what caused me to check myself. In the first review of the Tbirds there is a pic comparing the old slot A althons to the Slot A Tbird and both have green cores, aka aluminum cores. Dont make sense to me, would think copper is green and aluminum blue but thats not the way its works!

G

The copper AMD coming from Germany and are BLUE,
when you want to have one, order them in Europ, The Netherlands or Germany.
the printed [-peep-] on the core is for all CPU's colors the same.

G

BUDDY i think what you got is a green core. a blue core -COPPER- has a dark purple/blue tint.

the -ALUMINIUM- has a blue/green tint. so expect around 1Ghz on you 850.

G

Given what it physically looks like, I am inclined to believe it is Copper (fingers crossed). The markings are exactly like what THG purports to be a copper chip. Now, I suppose I could always have purchased a copper chip that actually will only run at 850, but we'll see. Believe it or not, I actually was sidetracked last night and stopped building the system midstream... now THAT's a first for me!

One thing I noticed in putting this thing together was that the heatsink included, while looking pretty good, was anodized (colored) and the bottom was not very smooth. So, I sanded it down to the bare aluminum with some fine grit paper.

<C>