Any suggestions for the next competition

Hello All,

No-one has submitted a savefile for the next competition yet, sO unless
someone does in the next few days, I guess it's my turn again.

I was thinking of giving Z2.7.5pre1 a go, unless the the players think
it inappropriate to use a preview version for the competition. Failing
that go back to my suggestion of a couple of months ago of a PosBand
Lich. Comments on what you would like to see in the competition are
welcome.

Tony Holmes
http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

avh@softalk.ws wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> No-one has submitted a savefile for the next competition yet, sO unless
> someone does in the next few days, I guess it's my turn again.
>
> I was thinking of giving Z2.7.5pre1 a go, unless the the players think
> it inappropriate to use a preview version for the competition. Failing
> that go back to my suggestion of a couple of months ago of a PosBand
> Lich. Comments on what you would like to see in the competition are
> welcome.

Go with the Posband Lich. Might as well have one since Alex has
disappeared with the secret 0.9.9 code :)

On 2005-06-23, Polarhound wrote:
> avh@softalk.ws wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> No-one has submitted a savefile for the next competition yet, sO unless
>> someone does in the next few days, I guess it's my turn again.
>>
>> I was thinking of giving Z2.7.5pre1 a go, unless the the players think
>> it inappropriate to use a preview version for the competition. Failing
>> that go back to my suggestion of a couple of months ago of a PosBand
>> Lich. Comments on what you would like to see in the competition are
>> welcome.
>
> Go with the Posband Lich. Might as well have one since Alex has
> disappeared with the secret 0.9.9 code :)

I'm still here. Sorry for the lack of updates, but I really have no
time now -- I'm in the middle of exams. 0.3.0a2 has some problems, but
such a competition is probably feasible.

--
Alexander Ulyanov, maintainer of PosBand roguelike
E-mail: posband_AT_earthsea_DOT_org Web: http://posband.earthsea.org/

On 24 Jun 2005 03:13:25 GMT, Alexander Ulyanov
<posbandNO@SPAMearthsea.org> wrote:

>So this is how liberty dies. With cheering, and applause.
> -- Senator Amidala, Star Wars Episode III

Unless I misheard, twice, the line is "With thunderous applause."

--
R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

Alexander Ulyanov wrote:
> On 2005-06-23, Polarhound wrote:
>
>>avh@softalk.ws wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All,
>>>
>>>No-one has submitted a savefile for the next competition yet, sO unless
>>>someone does in the next few days, I guess it's my turn again.
>>>
>>>I was thinking of giving Z2.7.5pre1 a go, unless the the players think
>>>it inappropriate to use a preview version for the competition. Failing
>>>that go back to my suggestion of a couple of months ago of a PosBand
>>>Lich. Comments on what you would like to see in the competition are
>>>welcome.
>>
>>Go with the Posband Lich. Might as well have one since Alex has
>>disappeared with the secret 0.9.9 code :)
>

> I'm still here. Sorry for the lack of updates, but I really have no
> time now -- I'm in the middle of exams. 0.3.0a2 has some problems, but
> such a competition is probably feasible.

I've played the Lich so far only a little bit, but once I heard that
savefiles won't be compatible my playing has dropped off a bit. I'll
def. play a Lich comp though.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Polarhound wrote:

> I'll def. play a Lich comp though.

Me too. There go my plans for next month.

Nick.

Um, just out of curiousity, what do you mean when you say 'the next
competition'? I'm kinda new here, but the word competition got my interest.

"Jason Mayer" <slamboy@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Um, just out of curiousity, what do you mean when you say 'the next
> competition'? I'm kinda new here, but the word competition got my
> interest.

The link in Tony's sig is to angband-comp, which pretty much
explains it.

But basically, it is an informal competition with no prizes other
than getting your score listed on the site.

Every month or so, a particular variant, character, and restriction
combination is chosen for a challenge. Past challenges have been
things like playing a hobbit rogue in NPP Angband without artifacts
(which turned out to be not quite the death sentence that was expected
and sparked a few debates on both objects and range combat), or
playing Sangband ironman-style with a dark elf.

Beyond the challenge aspect itself, the competition has a few
benefits:
1) Players get a bit of an extra urge to try something new, rather
than sticking with their old standbys.
2) For the duration of a comp, participants might post their own
experiences as well as their own requests for advice. As others are
playing the exact same savefile, it can either spark a bit more
discussion or just a general bonding experience. (Or in the case
of the Sangband comp, the occasional posts by Eddie well beyond the
end.)
3) If a comp manages to spark gameplay discussion, then said
discussion can potentially be a bed of info for any maintainers,
or at least a chance to defend controversial design choices.

Even if you don't actively compete, it can be an interesting thing
to play along with.

On 2005-06-24, R Dan Henry wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2005 03:13:25 GMT, Alexander Ulyanov
><posbandNO@SPAMearthsea.org> wrote:
>
>>So this is how liberty dies. With cheering, and applause.
>> -- Senator Amidala, Star Wars Episode III
>
> Unless I misheard, twice, the line is "With thunderous applause."

Hmm. Just checked the script -- you are right. But in the novel it
is definitely "cheering". Personally I like "cheering" better.

On 2005-06-25 17:11:23, "Nick" <nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Polarhound wrote:
>
> > I'll def. play a Lich comp though.
>
> Me too. There go my plans for next month.
>
> Nick.

Yeah I havent been around for a while but if a posband lich comp comes up...oooh
yeah baby.

--
"Omnia mors aequat"
"Death levels all distinctions"

Severoth wrote:
> On 2005-06-25 17:11:23, "Nick" <nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Polarhound wrote:
>>

>>> I'll def. play a Lich comp though.
>>
>>Me too. There go my plans for next month.
>>
>>Nick.
>>

> Yeah I havent been around for a while but if a posband lich comp comes up...oooh
> yeah baby.

With my luck, I'll get all the way to 4950' again just to get smacked by
Sauron.