sangband wands/rods

Are wands/rods in Sangband effected by skills?

I am tooling around at
~2500, magic offence is really low, essentially firebolt, main damage is
from elemental rods + dragon wands and one wand of drain life which when it
blows I will be in a world of trouble. Do mages ever get recharge, detect
traps, satisfy hunger, or sense surroundings. I realize you can get most
(all) from skills but I am running a reduced set after fooling with a couple
of chars.

It was difficult for awhile, read a scroll of questing which generated a
really nice level at 43, filled with p's and h's including a bunch I never
fought before like hobbit mages with chaos attacks (no resistance). Got
Tulkas which is an extreme low-mid level ring for mage types now. Great all
around, though pretty lame in vanilla outside of a pseudo rod of speed. Main
problem is finding a way to do damage and get basic resists outside of main
armor so I can get some high resists.

Only found a few forging chunks and even with a high skill all armor is
really weak. If you don't have magical infusion does it limit the armor
produced if you don't select to use infusions and just take it randomally?

--
Cliff Stamp
sstamp@physics.mun.ca http://www.physics.mun.ca:80/~sstamp/

The one unforgivable sin, the offence against one's own integrity,
is to accept anything at all simply on authority -- Maureen Johnson Long

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. -- Publilius Syrus

Cliff Stamp wrote:
> Are wands/rods in Sangband effected by skills?

Absolutely. They're affected by magic device skill.

> blows I will be in a world of trouble. Do mages ever get recharge, detect
> traps, satisfy hunger, or sense surroundings.

No magic realm gets a recharging ability. You have to use essences to
recharge them, or scrolls.
Wizardry does not give magic mapping, you'd have to get it from
Perception.
Wizardry does not give Satisfy Hunger.
Wizardry does give detect traps through the Detection spell which is in
book 5.

> Only found a few forging chunks and even with a high skill all armor is
> really weak. If you don't have magical infusion does it limit the armor
> produced if you don't select to use infusions and just take it randomally?

It's really the goodness of the chunks that determine the raw power of
the item. Around steel and better they start to get good ego-quality
and up. Lacking infusion does not limit the armor produced, it just
uses all the potential up randomly.

Scott