Ripping apart an old Athlon

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm a bit fed up of the high prices of DDR mobos and the lack of PC2100 RAM but I need more speed for my PC so instead of going for a KT133a solution, I decided to overclock my old Athlon. After reading instructions of how to remove the casing, I wondered how you would secure the CPU in place without the casing as the casing clips onto that thing which holds the CPU in place. Also wouldn't that make fitting a heatsink a problem as they clip onto the metal back plate.

At the moment I have just sawed a hole in the top of the casing where the overclocking card goes and left the rest of the casing in tact. Anyone got a good way of mounting a un-cased CPU and fitting a heatsink?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1686" target="_new">System spec.</A> Ideas appreciated.

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
you don't take apart both sides of the cpu. only the back part. you are trying to oc it by ways of the gold finger device right? if that's the case you only need to remove the back plate, the one opposite of the heatsink. don't remove the clips inside the cpu. if you want to see the core cpu speed, you have to remove the front too. but that will mean hard work putting back the clip. but with careful work that shouldn't be a problem.

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm overclocking it with a card which I put on the connector on the top. The hole I have made is just big enough to fit the card. I would like to remove all of the casing and the backing plate but I do not know how to mount the CPU on the motherboard once the casing has gone or how to attach a heatsink to the CPU and cache.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=1686" target="_new">System spec.</A> Ideas appreciated.

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
y would you take apart the whole thing if you already have a hole made for the gfd device? if you want to take off the heatsink, you can do that without taking off the entire case.

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry I'm not being very clear. (Not enough sleep) I want to attach a heatsink directly to the core and the cache to increace the efficiency of the heatsink. Hopefully that would let me get a few more MHz :smile: but I am wondering if it is worth the effort if it is going to be difficult to mount a heatsink to a caseless CPU or if it would be difficult to put the CPU back in the motherboard without its case

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ok I have done this so listen up.

You don't really need to take the case off unless you are using a GFD (Gold Finger Device). It attaches to a little port on the PCB and you can change multiplier, FSB, voltage, etc.

In order to take off case!! :

First (you have already done this) you take off the black plastic casing, leaving the CPU and heatplate still attached to each other. There you are basically finished LOL!. All you do is hook the heatsink back on (don't forget the thermal compound), and pop it back in the slot. Easy as that. If you are using a Gold Finger Device, then just follow the instructions that came with it. :smile:

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Correct, You may however after removing the plastic choose to use a dremel and procede to make a hole big enough for the gfd then reattach the plastic cover. I surely would not recomend making this hole before you seperated the plastic casing from the cpu however. this will allow you to still use your retention clips found in the plastic casing, however the cpu should mount in there well enough without it. As for removing the metal plating, yes it can be done and yes you may achieve slightly better cooling in mounting the HSF directly to the cpu, However this is by no means an easy process as you will have to engineer a way to keep the HSF attached and unless you really know what you are doing I would highly advise against it.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your a man I would like to talk to. i currently have a slot a t-bird coming(750) to play with. I already have a gfd. I presume you are running an irongate chipset correct? what voltage and jumper settings are you running? any special cooling? any information you would care to share would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that the irongate chipsets are indeed compatable withthe slot a birds but alot of them have issues after 800 mhz.

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
yes i do have an amd751 chipset. my sh!tty mobo does not have an option for the fsb. so i bought a gfd from k7oc and set the multiplier to it's max 10.5
it runs fine with the default 1.7v up until 950mhz. after that the cpu needs lot more. i reached the max voltage allowed by the gfd in order to get 1050mhz at 2.05v i bought hsf from hardcorecooling.com it has 3 fans and 42cfm.
my cpu temp stays still at 41*C after running prime95 for couple of hours.
only the kx133 has issues after 800mhz. the irongate is very stable with the slot t-bird.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey that sounds great maybe I can get a gig out of my 750 then. BTW what MOBO you using and do you have any bench scores you care to share with me? i picked my mobo up for about 35 bucks just to mess with it houses a 700 classic now with a gfd but can overclock to 800 ( I think the cache is an issue). What do you get with cpumark 99? You now I was quite suprised with this board expected it to be slow but it is suprisingly fast a stable.

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
yeah, the cache is an issue with the classic athlon. i oc'd my old 550 athlon to 800 but after that no luck. my motherboard is an ECS piece of crap. i bought this mobo back when i didn't know jack-sh!t about computers. the only bench i really care enough to run is the 3dmark 2000.
gaming is all that matters to me so that's about it. i got a whopping 10078!!!!!! with my elsa geforce2 ultra.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL. man you are just askin for problems arn't ya. Sawing this....drilling that. Your gunna end up with a nice paper weight. Good Luck!

--SR

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah I think I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. Later, when I upgrade I'll try some crazy stuff to see how far I can push it.

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
well that's the only chipset that'll work witht he slot t-bird. and it is stable with the slot t