Next competition is ready to download

Hello All,

Competition 33 (A PosBand Lich) is ready to download from the web-site
in my signature line.

Just a small hint to get you started. Get a lantern ASAP as the Lich
has -1 light radius, which means torches have no effect. (I thought
this was a bug in Posband until I read the help file).

Regards

Tony
http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

avh@softalk.ws wrote in news:1120161973.088539.311300
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
> Hello All,
>
> Competition 33 (A PosBand Lich) is ready to download from the web-site
> in my signature line.

I just want to say that I don't recall the last time I had so many
deaths below character level 5.

Repeating the same town actions on restart time and again is annoying
though.

I thought I might try this comp - would be my first - but after
downloading the savefile, and placing it into the 'save' folder, it's not
being recognised as a valid savefile to open.

I'm running the OS X version (also just downloaded, opens fine), and I
imagine that this is a PC savefile; any advice, anyone?

Thanks - Ewan

avh@softalk.ws wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Competition 33 (A PosBand Lich) is ready to download from the web-site
> in my signature line.
>
> Just a small hint to get you started. Get a lantern ASAP as the Lich
> has -1 light radius, which means torches have no effect. (I thought
> this was a bug in Posband until I read the help file).
>
> Regards
>
> Tony
> http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Are there ever Vanilla, Zangband or Sangband competitions? If not, is
PosBand an interesting variant/easy to pick up? I'd be more inclined to
compete if I didn't have to learn a whole new game :)

"Jason Mayer" <slamboy@hotmail.com> wrote in news:quixe.2851$cb6.442
@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

> Are there ever Vanilla, Zangband or Sangband competitions? If not, is
> PosBand an interesting variant/easy to pick up? I'd be more inclined to
> compete if I didn't have to learn a whole new game :)

There was just recently a Sangband comp, Ironman style.

Though part of the point of the comp I've assumed is to experience
new things.

Alright, I'm working on learning this new variant. One of the first things
I learned is that you can turn off corpse generation, via the key sequence
=,I,C. Now that I've done so, is there any reason to turn it back on (other
than possibly when fighting uniques?) Liches can't possess things, correct?

> Alright, I'm working on learning this new variant. One of the first
> things I learned is that you can turn off corpse generation, via the
> key sequence =,I,C. Now that I've done so, is there any reason to
> turn it back on (other than possibly when fighting uniques?) Liches
> can't possess things, correct?

You can turn off corpse generation? That's nice to know.

I found selling everything except the ring and food at the start
greatly increased my survival. The iron crown alone is worth enough
to buy a basic armor kit. The staff is never going to successfully
activate, and you can buy various useful items with that money.

Though my surviving character has already blown any competative turn
score, after trying a quest for 6 2-headed hydras at DL 4. Survived,
but burned an insane number of turns running around corridors regaining
mana to kill each one with magic missile. At least the quest reward
was a more feasible missile backup, a sling of accuracy. (Too bad the
Lich's strength penalty isn't exactly the greatest match for the
relative high weight of shots.)

And an "easy" quest for novice priests at DL1 is certainly not easy
for a Lich... That was a nightmare to survive. So far, early quest
attempts have been fairly negative for my Brinie. Quick diving has
been more useful for a turn concerned starting strategy. But I'm
certainly not going to be too concerned at this point, as I'll likely
be starting again any time anyway...

> I found selling everything except the ring and food at the start
> greatly increased my survival. The iron crown alone is worth enough
> to buy a basic armor kit. The staff is never going to successfully
> activate, and you can buy various useful items with that money.
>
> Though my surviving character has already blown any competative turn
> score, after trying a quest for 6 2-headed hydras at DL 4. Survived,
> but burned an insane number of turns running around corridors regaining
> mana to kill each one with magic missile. At least the quest reward
> was a more feasible missile backup, a sling of accuracy. (Too bad the
> Lich's strength penalty isn't exactly the greatest match for the
> relative high weight of shots.)
>
> And an "easy" quest for novice priests at DL1 is certainly not easy
> for a Lich... That was a nightmare to survive. So far, early quest
> attempts have been fairly negative for my Brinie. Quick diving has
> been more useful for a turn concerned starting strategy. But I'm
> certainly not going to be too concerned at this point, as I'll likely
> be starting again any time anyway...

Can I just point something out here?

IIRC from most fantasy games Liches are traditionally ultra-powerful
human wizards, clerics and the like who use some form of "evil magic"
to become immortal. They're undead, but as powerful (or more powerful)
than they were in life. It doesn't seem right to be playing one as
yet another first level weakling saving up for that word of recall
scroll and running from kobolds. A lich is what your character would
become after reaching 50th level, if he was inclined to do so.

Yeah, I know, suspension of disbelief and all that. Still, it seems
like a weak first level Lich is breaking some unwritten rule or
something.

Are quests broken? I got a quest for the first level... Kill 11 cave
lizards. I think I did, but I killed 1 of them by shooting a magic missile
down a hallway when I didn't have the lizard targetted, nor in sight. I'm
level 8 now and I haven't stepped off this level because I want to finish
the stupid quest. I've run through 3 flasks of oil and I'm almost out of
rations. If I leave the level will the quest reset? I guess it's within
the realm of possibilities that I don't have the whole dungeon explored, but
I doubt it. Highly.

JBancock <jb@NoSpam.com> wrote in news:2005070123000116807%jb@NoSpamcom:

> IIRC from most fantasy games Liches are traditionally ultra-powerful
> human wizards, clerics and the like who use some form of "evil magic"
> to become immortal. They're undead, but as powerful (or more
powerful)
> than they were in life. It doesn't seem right to be playing one as
> yet another first level weakling saving up for that word of recall
> scroll and running from kobolds. A lich is what your character would
> become after reaching 50th level, if he was inclined to do so.

Well, most games I can think of that had things like Liches playable
generally had them as some higher level of either undead or as a higher
level of magic user. (Not that starting as a generic skeleton and
leveling into a Lich is much better.)

But if you want justification for the POSband version... Maybe only
the really powerful liches are famous enough to be mentioned in stories
as liches, like how apprentices aren't written as great heroes that can
slay entire armies singlehanded. Really, the starting lich in POSband
should hardly be called a lich at all. He's a skeleton that can fire
magic missile.

Or maybe the player Lich in PSOband messed up his transformation into
an undead, or just wasn't very good a magic user to begin with.

Or maybe you had a traumatic experience that took away your power.
One of the Wizardry games had a set-up like that, where you actually
played the ultra-powerful villian of an earlier (the first?) game,
but had to slowly regain your power due to the whole deal of being
killed by the heroes in that earlier game. (I believe that one had
the interesting fun of the company taking save files of parties that
had beaten the game and using those characters as enemies once you
got far enough, as well.)

The alternative of playing a generic magic user for the bulk of the
game and then transforming just wouldn't be as interesting, not for a
game that is aiming at having the various monsters playable from the
start.

Jason Mayer wrote:
> Are quests broken? I got a quest for the first level... Kill 11 cave
> lizards. I think I did, but I killed 1 of them by shooting a magic missile
> down a hallway when I didn't have the lizard targetted, nor in sight. I'm
> level 8 now and I haven't stepped off this level because I want to finish
> the stupid quest. I've run through 3 flasks of oil and I'm almost out of
> rations. If I leave the level will the quest reset? I guess it's within
> the realm of possibilities that I don't have the whole dungeon explored, but
> I doubt it. Highly.

If you leave the level, there is a percentage chance of automatic quest
failure. Assuming you don't get this, go right back to the dlvl and the
remaining quest monsters will be regenerated.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:03:17 GMT, "Jason Mayer" <slamboy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Are quests broken? I got a quest for the first level... Kill 11 cave
>lizards. I think I did, but I killed 1 of them by shooting a magic missile
>down a hallway when I didn't have the lizard targetted, nor in sight. I'm
>level 8 now and I haven't stepped off this level because I want to finish
>the stupid quest. I've run through 3 flasks of oil and I'm almost out of
>rations. If I leave the level will the quest reset? I guess it's within
>the realm of possibilities that I don't have the whole dungeon explored, but
>I doubt it. Highly.

In PosBand, quest monsters can be killed by other monsters, leaving
too few for quest success. The only thing you can do is leave and
reenter the level, risking quest failure. I have reported this to the
author but I don't know if it is considered a bug or a feature. In my
own copy (not for competition use), I added code to insure enough
quest monsters when one is killed that doesn't count towards the
quest.

Cam

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Billy Bissette wrote:
> Though my surviving character has already blown any competative turn
> score, after trying a quest for 6 2-headed hydras at DL 4. Survived,
> but burned an insane number of turns running around corridors regaining
> mana to kill each one with magic missile.

A competitive turn score might be quite high, I think.

> At least the quest reward
> was a more feasible missile backup, a sling of accuracy.

Grrr. I'm yet to get a non-cash quest reward.

> And an "easy" quest for novice priests at DL1 is certainly not easy
> for a Lich... That was a nightmare to survive.

Yeah, those guys are bad news. My best Brinie just celebrated becoming
a Master Lich by being killed by a priest. Back to the beginning.

Nick.

Is autoscum for good levels - cheating?

<avh@softalk.ws> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> Competition 33 (A PosBand Lich) is ready to download from the web-site
> in my signature line.
>
> Just a small hint to get you started. Get a lantern ASAP as the Lich
> has -1 light radius, which means torches have no effect. (I thought
> this was a bug in Posband until I read the help file).
>
> Regards
>
> Tony
> http://www.angband-comp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I'll wait for the next competition.
I don't much like this shooting magic missiles over and over and over and
over and over stuff. It was interesting however, mostly because it's
unlikely I would have ever played a L if left to my own devices.

> Oh wow. Knowing about that cold ball would have made all the
> difference. Meh. Tastes like chicken.

I kept forgetting about the activation on the ring of ice.

When I did remember it, I found Brinie unable to get it to work.
So I again forgot about it, even though she might be able to use
it by now.

Billy Bissette wrote:
> "Jason Mayer" <slamboy@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>>Oh wow. Knowing about that cold ball would have made all the
>>difference. Meh. Tastes like chicken.
>

> I kept forgetting about the activation on the ring of ice.
>
> When I did remember it, I found Brinie unable to get it to work.
> So I again forgot about it, even though she might be able to use
> it by now.

You are best off selling the ring if you need money. By the time your
character has a high enough magic skill to activate it reliably, it is
too weak to use all that often.

"Nick" <nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:1120367646.629559.99830
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
> Billy Bissette wrote:

>> At least the quest reward
>> was a more feasible missile backup, a sling of accuracy.
>
> Grrr. I'm yet to get a non-cash quest reward.

This Brinie has done three quests, and only the first was cash.
The most recent was soft leather armour of resist cold. Somewhat
redundant though after having found a trident of frost on the quest
level itself. But the +10 and eventual resale value aren't to be
complained about. (Just had to sell the sling to raise cash.
Realized I wasn't using it after getting more mana, and even a few
iron shots were unneeded weight. I'm sure my next dive will have
me wishing that I still had it.)

>> And an "easy" quest for novice priests at DL1 is certainly not easy
>> for a Lich... That was a nightmare to survive.
>
> Yeah, those guys are bad news. My best Brinie just celebrated
> becoming a Master Lich by being killed by a priest. Back to the
> beginning.

Haven't made it to Master Lich quite yet. Or a non-novice priest.

Polarhound <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in news:NNednVjago6dFFrfRVn-
iw@comcast.com:

> You are best off selling the ring if you need money. By the time your
> character has a high enough magic skill to activate it reliably, it is
> too weak to use all that often.

The +6 is nice on its own, and you can get good cash off the rest
of the equipment.

If Brinie indeed has a standard POSband Lich starter kit, it is a
weird kit to give someone. The crown is entirely worthless as armor,
but sells for enough cash to buy real armor. The staff is entirely
worthless as a starter weapon as you'll never successfully activate
it, but it sells for a large sum of money for a starting character.
The robe will quickly get replaced by real armor from selling the
other items. The Lich's light penalty makes the starting torches
pretty worthless, so you'll be buying a lantern as long as one is
available.

Billy Bissette <baines@coastalnet.com> wrote in
> "Nick" <nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:1120367646.629559.99830
> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>> Yeah, those guys are bad news. My best Brinie just celebrated
>> becoming a Master Lich by being killed by a priest. Back to the
>> beginning.
>
> Haven't made it to Master Lich quite yet. Or a non-novice priest.

Sigh, and maybe I won't with this Brinie. Just accidentally wielded
Calris. Even chances for finding *Remove Curse* anytime soon are low,
and weight and penalties combine to mean she can't hit anything anymore,
but she can't rely on just mana and wands at this point. Guess I'll
suicide and start over, as it has pretty much crippled her playability
at this point, and killed any entertainment for the forseeable future
in the process.

And she had just also gotten the Phial a few steps from Calris.

On 2005-06-30 22:06:13, avh@softalk.ws wrote:

> Competition 33 (A PosBand Lich) is ready to download from the web-site
> in my signature line.
>
> Just a small hint to get you started. Get a lantern ASAP as the Lich
> has -1 light radius, which means torches have no effect. (I thought
> this was a bug in Posband until I read the help file).

Hoom... My Lich has different innate powers than he should according to
helpfiles, i.e. Light Orb instead of Magic Missile. Is it all right?

Billy Bissette wrote:

> Billy Bissette <baines@coastalnet.com> wrote in
>> "Nick" <nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au> wrote in news:1120367646.629559.99830
>> @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>>> Yeah, those guys are bad news. My best Brinie just celebrated
>>> becoming a Master Lich by being killed by a priest. Back to the
>>> beginning.
>>
>> Haven't made it to Master Lich quite yet. Or a non-novice priest.
>
> Sigh, and maybe I won't with this Brinie. Just accidentally wielded
> Calris. Even chances for finding *Remove Curse* anytime soon are low,
> and weight and penalties combine to mean she can't hit anything anymore,
> but she can't rely on just mana and wands at this point. Guess I'll
> suicide and start over, as it has pretty much crippled her playability
> at this point, and killed any entertainment for the forseeable future
> in the process.
>
> And she had just also gotten the Phial a few steps from Calris.

Don't forget you might break the curse with regular scrolls of enchant
weapon.

So I had Brinie down to 900', where I'm going to stay until I find some
source of FA. And I enter a room, and what is lying there but Raal's
Tome of Destruction!! At first I thought it was some cruel joke ala
Zangband but it was the real thing! What a waste of an incredible RNG
roll. I wish I could undo the Lich transformation and become a wizard
again.

So far I'm having fun with this character. I'm trying to play without
town scumming which is very unusual for me. Usually I'm macroing
R2500\n like a bastard for free action, ego armour, speed potions, and
stat gain as soon as I can afford it.

I'm level 23 now, and really looking forward to when I can retire the
magic missle spell. I can't argue with the damage/mana ratio now,
that's for sure. I bought a ring of int+3 at the black market, which
really helps. I also found a ring from a unique orc that gives +2
speed, resist fire, and sustain strength! Losing str from 9 is such a
major pain that this is very very useful.

These contests are a great idea! There's no way I would have tried a
Lich on my own, as another poster said. I had a lot of fun with the
last one too, getting the Assassin to dlevel 60, but I wasn't included
in the results for some reason.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

William Parker wrote:
> These contests are a great idea! There's no way I would have tried a
> Lich on my own, as another poster said. I had a lot of fun with the
> last one too, getting the Assassin to dlevel 60, but I wasn't included
> in the results for some reason.

My first email to Tony didn't get through; maybe there was some glitch
at his end for a while. Maybe try sending again.

So what was your deepest kill? Just curious :)

Nick.

I was at clevel 44, but I don't think I killed anything deeper than
Ariel, Queen of Air. That might have put me in second. I was about
one round from killing Itangast the Fire Drake, but I had to teleport
away with 250 hps or so, and then I cured poison and a necromancer cast
a darkness spell on me unresisted. That was the end of me.