Lenovo IdeaPad Y560d

Greetings!

I've recently been thinking about building a new PC, when my dad's girlfriend suggested I get a Lenovo laptop since she works for IBM and can get a deal on them. I'm a Management Information Systems major in college, but almost any laptop will be able to run what I'm looking for on the school end. However, I'm a huge nerdy gamer and have a passion for World of Warcraft. I want to make sure whatever laptop I end up getting will be able to run this game without any problems on (near) high video settings.

Currently, I am looking at the Lenovo IdeaPad Y560d with these specs:
- Intel Core i7 (1.73GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB)
- ATI Radeon HD 5730 1GB
- 6 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
- 15.6" HD Wide LED (has 3D capability as well, but whatever)
- 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

I just want to make sure that I'm spending all my Christmas money on something that will run balls to the wall in World of Warcraft.

Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about lenovo ideapad y560d
  1. It's fine. The "d" denotes 3D capable if I remember correctly. The "regular" Y560 is not 3D capable and costs less which is the one I would buy if i had a choice between the two.

Additionally, the Y560 gets a bit hot when playing games so a laptop cooler is recommended. After all it does have a HD 5730 in it.
  2. I own a Dell Studio XPS 16 with a i7 and Ati 5730.
    The fan does blow when playing Borderlands at max settings but a laptop cooler is always a placebo.
  3. Any suggestions on what laptop cooler is a good buy?
  4. Don't know since I never bought one.

No everyone has complained about the how hot/warm the Y560 / Y560d becomes. If that's the laptop you want then just buy it and test it out. If and when it does get too warm for your liking, then buy a laptop cooler.

Go to www.newegg.com, do a search on laptop coolers and read the feedback/reviews to help you narrow things down.
  5. this is the best laptop in this range which you can get, but you have another choice of MSI GT640 in 799$ with rebate on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152213
    It will give you same performance as of above mentioned Y560 with i7 in good price.
  6. Just an update, for those that care, I pulled the trigger on this laptop today and I will post back here in a couple weeks for an initial review. Here are the specs I went with:

Processor
    Intel Core i7-740QM Processor ( 1.73GHz 1333MHz 6MB )

Operating system
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Graphics
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB

Total memory8
    8 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz

Display
    15.6" HD LED Glare 1366x768

Pointing device
    Industry Standard Touchpad

Hard Drive
    500GB 7200

Optical Drive
    DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)

Battery
    6 Cell Lithium-Ion

Network Card
    Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 1000

Bluetooth
    Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR

Warranty
    One Year

Finger Print Reader
    None

Ended up costing me $900.
  7. unforgetable007 said:

Ended up costing me $900.

I thought $899 was the price which is being advertised on Lenova's website. If you have connections at IBM, did you save on tax then?

Joshua
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Lenovo Product