Planning for the worst ... YASD

There's a 1 in 40 chance that any given object on clev 25 will be
permitted to be level 50 or greater...

A water troll comes out of a troll pit and drops an un-ided scroll at
dlev 25.
I read the scroll.
After something like 50 --more-- refreshes, I die.

Why did it have to be Mass Banishment???? *Anything* else would have
been fine. (Even Curse Weapon!)

And such a *promising* character, too... (Dwarf Paladin with Colluin,
Trident HA (+3)/'Thanc swap, Stability boots and FA gloves. The Ring
of Flame was nice, too...)

That's two good characters in a row done in with really weird events,
though this one was in principle avoidable. [Don't read un-ID'ed scroll
near a full pit. Ever.]

pete mack wrote:

> A water troll comes out of a troll pit and drops an un-ided scroll at
> dlev 25.
> I read the scroll.
> After something like 50 --more-- refreshes, I die.
>
> Why did it have to be Mass Banishment???? *Anything* else would have
> been fine. (Even Curse Weapon!)

I have suffered similar case once (well, several times, but only one
worth mentioned).

In my case I did know about pit (undead IIRC) and calculated that I have
enough HP to use mass geno. Problem was that there was _another_ pit
(orc IIRC) just outside of my visual range (in another screen) and that
was too much.

Timo Pietilä