Sign in with
Your question

Unreadable Hard Drive? Reformat? Dont need to save any info? How do I

Last response: in Windows 7
January 6, 2013 3:05:13 PM

my hp coapaq suddenly became black screen which then turns blue. my sos said the hard drive is unreadable and can be fixed with the right software, please help
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 4:47:40 PM

Just put the Compaq recovery disk or a Windows install disk in and boot from it then run chkdsk; if you don't have an install disk download a trial of the same version from digital river and use your key off your laptop sticker: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 4:51:17 PM

RealBeast said:
Just put the Compaq recovery disk or a Windows install disk in and boot from it then run chkdsk; if you don't have an install disk download a trial of the same version from digital river and use your key off your laptop sticker: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...

For some odd reason I forgot all about Digital River being HPs ISO supplier.....maybe I've been looking at spark plugs too long (trying to change out plugs on my truck :pt1cable:  ). I wasn't aware they made their ISO files public but ok!

Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 6:20:20 PM

hedwar2011 said:
For some odd reason I forgot all about Digital River being HPs ISO supplier.....maybe I've been looking at spark plugs too long (trying to change out plugs on my truck :pt1cable:  ). I wasn't aware they made their ISO files public but ok!
AFAIK, MS didn't make iso images available online with XP, Vista, or 8, but for some reason did with 7 and even updated them to SP1 when it came out. It is a big help to folks with (usually) laptops that didn't get a real install disk with the computer or never made a set of install disks even if the OEM provided for it. Unlike 8, they still have their 7 key on the laptop sticker, not hidden in the bios, so it's hard for them to lose it and pretty easy to find. :)  It's also helpful for those who built their own machine pre-SP1 and then used Windows update to get SP1 and now need to do a repair install, since you can't repair install over SP1 with the pre-SP1 disk.

If there is any trouble with online re-activation with the OEM code, MS phone activation has always worked the dozen times that I've done it for folks, with no hassle at all, just explain the HDD died or whatever.
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 8:26:20 PM

Hi

rather than chkdsk I would download the hard disk manufacturers diagnostic software.
Usually available as a ISO to burn to CD using ImgBurn

Minor problems may be fixable but this usually is notice of impending disaster.
Seagate' version will do the diagnostics on other makes of Hard Disks but should only be used for repair of Seagate/Maxtor disks

Run Quick Test first , then depending on results run Test on all of hard disk

A Windows hard disk diagnostics version is also available,
If you have a spare PC you could install the Windows diagnostics program and faulty hard disk in the spare PC
Western Digital's Windows version works on other makes of hard disk

Running Chkdsk on a dying hard disk is likely to damage it further.

If you really want to run chkdsk from a bootable CD or USB then Windows 7 & Vista have the means to make a system repair disc using Windows files
see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Create-a-sy...

regards

Mike Barnes

a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 9:03:08 PM

ednam3 said:
my hp coapaq suddenly became black screen which then turns blue. my sos said the hard drive is unreadable and can be fixed with the right software, please help

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. There are different HDD diagnostics available and even some boot utility repair options.
!