spoiler files adressing for 3.0.5 and 3.0.6

I have looked through the windows version files and found no references to
where different files (specifically spoiler files) should be located to
acess by the executible file. When I go into help.hlp (? key) I can access
spoiler.hlp (i key) file, but all the subdirectories (monsters.hlp,
extra.hlp, objects.hlp, various.hlp) and the spoiler files themselves
(*.spo) are only accessible by using the go to file command (% key). I have
tried to copy the files into various different directories with no success.
Anyone know if there is a fix for this?
Thanks.

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:23:39 -0500, Johan wrote:

>I have looked through the windows version files and found no references to
>where different files (specifically spoiler files) should be located to
>acess by the executible file. When I go into help.hlp (? key) I can access
>spoiler.hlp (i key) file, but all the subdirectories (monsters.hlp,
>extra.hlp, objects.hlp, various.hlp) and the spoiler files themselves
>(*.spo) are only accessible by using the go to file command (% key). I have
>tried to copy the files into various different directories with no success.
>Anyone know if there is a fix for this?
>Thanks.

Hi Johan,

I presume that you are referring to the updated spoiler files for
Angband 3.0.5/3.0.6 that I released recently? You are right that I did
not put any effort into integrating these in Angband's online help
system. I allways just open the spoiler I need with Notepad or Wordpad
in a seperate window, and I never realised that other people might
prefer to consult them from within the game.

To get to the updated spoiler files from the builtin help system, just
follow the following steps:

1. In case you haven't already done so, download the updated spoiler
files from ftp://ftp.thangorodrim.net/pub/angband/Spoiler/ (I see that
this site still sports the 3.0.5 versions - apparently, my e-mail to
Robert with the 3.0.6 versions got lost on the 'net. I'll resend them,
but since the changes were quite minimal, there's no need to wait for
the newer versions).

2. Move the spoiler files to the \lib\help subdirectory of your Angband
home directory.

3. Start a game with a throwaway character, then use Ctrl-A " 3 and
Ctrl-A " 4 to generate the two monster spoiler files. Move them from
\lib\user to \lib\help.

4. The final step is to create some .hlp files with the selection menu's
in \lib\help. You can devise your own menu's, or you can use the ones I
just made. Simply use Notepad to create the files, using cut and paste
to copy the texts below to the various files:
(Note: the lines starting with ===> denote start and end of each of the
files; these lines themselves should NOT be included!!)

=====> start of file spoiler.hlp
What would you like to have spoiled for you?

Please choose one of the following topics:

(a) Monsters -- monsters
(b) Objects -- objects, ego-items, artifacts
(c) Your character's abilities -- magic, spells, stats
***** [a] monsters.hlp
***** objects.hlp
***** [c] character.hlp
=====> end of file spoiler.hlp

=====> start of file monsters.hlp
What do you want to spoil about monsters?

Please choose one of the following spoiler files:

(a) mon-info.spo -- complete monster information, by index
(b) mon-desc.spo -- brief monster table, by index

Note that you must generate these spoiler files and move them
from \lib\user to \lib\help before you can access them.
Use Ctrl-A " 3 and Ctrl-A " 4 to generate these files.
***** [a] mon-info.spo
***** mon-desc.spo
=====> end of file monsters.hlp

=====> start of file objects.hlp
What do you want to spoil about objects?

Please choose one of the following spoiler files:

(a) obj-desc.spo -- Basic Items (Name, Power, Weight, Level, Cost)
(b) obj-long.spo -- Basic Items (Full information)
(c) obj-good.spo -- Ego-Items (Full information)
(d) artifact.spo -- Artifacts (Full information)
(e) books.spo -- Magic Books (Overview of spellls in each book)
***** [a] obj-desc.spo
***** obj-long.spo
***** [c] obj-good.spo
***** [d] artifact.spo
***** [e] books.spo
=====> end of file objects.hlp

=====> start of file character.hlp
What do you want to spoil about your abilities?

Please choose one of the following spoiler files:

(a) magic.spo -- Complete description of spells and prayers
(b) books.spo -- Short overview of books and their spells
***** [a] magic.spo
***** books.spo
=====> end of file character.hlp

Note that the files below include only the spoiler files that I have
updated for V3.0.5 and V3.0.6. If you want to have access to the older
spoiler files as well, or if you have downloaded Leonar Dickens' updated
version of the attack spoilers and want to access them as well, you'll
have to update the .hlp files yourself.

5. Start the game. Hit the ? key to go to the help, then select option i
to open the main spoiler menu. You should now be able to navigate the
menus and read the spoiler files.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)

"Hugo Kornelis" <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> wrote in message
> [...]
> (b) books.spo -- Short overview of books and their spells
> ***** [a] magic.spo
> ***** books.spo
> =====> end of file character.hlp
>
> Note that the files below include only the spoiler files that I have
> updated for V3.0.5 and V3.0.6. If you want to have access to the older
> spoiler files as well, or if you have downloaded Leonar Dickens' updated
> version of the attack spoilers and want to access them as well, you'll
> have to update the .hlp files yourself.
>
> 5. Start the game. Hit the ? key to go to the help, then select option i
> to open the main spoiler menu. You should now be able to navigate the
> menus and read the spoiler files.
>
> Best, Hugo
> --
> Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
> There is a puff of smoke!
>
> (Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
Yup, for some weird reason, I like going to the help directory in the game.
You're probably right that it is easier bringing up the files in wordpad or
notepad.
Thank you for the extremely complete and helpful answer to my question. I
was beginning to think that nobody was able to read the post but me.
I will try your suggestions. Thanks.

Johan

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:59:47 -0500, Johan wrote:

(snip)
>was beginning to think that nobody was able to read the post but me.

Hi Johan,

I would have replied sooner, but I was on holiday, and I always leave
the Internet home on holidays.

>I will try your suggestions. Thanks.

You're welcome. Let me know if you still have problems getting it to
work.

Best, Hugo